CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB: Stock Exhaust Cans - 2002

Looking for a set of stock exhaust cans.  Bike is a 2002.  Looking for excellent condition.  The 4 - 1 Yosh that is on the bike is a little loud for my tastes and I'd like to go back to stock.  I have a new header already on the way.   Let me know if you have a set and what you would like for them.  Shipping to 95762.  Thanks !

what are you doing with that yoshi system?

i have the take-offs from my '01 (with cats), as i recall they're in good shape but, they've been languishing in my he-shed...

i'm located in san jose.

Still deciding.  I'd like to option for stock as on the freeway the Yosh drones quite a bit at speed...but on the back roads and while splitting lease it is nice....I can travel to the Bay pretty easily so let me know how they look and what you want for them.  Thanks !!!!

I have the stock cans for my 2000 been up in my attic since 2010 or 11. I've never considered selling them, but I have no end game for this whole Blackbird ownership thing how much are they worth?

Edited by XXitanium

4 hours ago, SierraKLR said:

Still deciding.  I'd like to option for stock as on the freeway the Yosh drones quite a bit at speed...but on the back roads and while splitting lease it is nice....I can travel to the Bay pretty easily so let me know how they look and what you want for them.  Thanks !!!!

Switching back & forth would be a bit of a bitch, and seriously increasing the odds of damaging stuff.  If you wanted options I'd do a stock header & get a set of aftermarket mufflers to swap for stock when you want a little more grunt & sound.

1 hour ago, XXitanium said:

I have the stock cans for my 2000 been up in my attic since 2010 or 11. I've never considered selling them, but I have no end game for this whole Blackbird ownership thing how much are they worth?

That's so hard to tell.  I've looked for them a few times on ebay and most of them were damaged, some so severely that I didn't understand even trying to sell them as anything other than scrap metal.  The few nice ones were over $100 ea.  I saw a couple that didn't have obvious damage that weren't crazy $, but the photos were shit and no word about condition..."taken off a running bike".  It would be worth checking values yourself, or deciding how nice it would be to sell them to a brother and not having any of the BS that can surround trying to stuff.

I have a very nice pair....if I do say so myself, and tho I have no current need for them I wouldn't consider parting with them for less than $200.  On the flip side is helping a brother out, and I already gave one to him so I'm all out of free mufflers.

13 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Switching back & forth would be a bit of a bitch, and seriously increasing the odds of damaging stuff.  If you wanted options I'd do a stock header & get a set of aftermarket mufflers to swap for stock when you want a little more grunt & sound.

Yep.  That's kind of what I was thinking.  Once I do the swap then I can figure out what to do with the Yosh set up.   The XX, like my 999S, I hope will be a forever bike.

When I had my '01 I was brewing a plan to gut a set of stockers and put valves in them so I could switch on the fly, never got around to it.  I think stockers would look goofy on the current bike (lots of other bling including some CF bits that match the CF mufflers) so the project died.  I might throw one on and see if I like it.  The two brothers isn't crazy loud and have a nice sound, but I also enjoyed the silence of the stockers.  I ran a full Yosh system on the '01 for a bit, I liked the performance but didn't really like the look or sound of a single muffler.  In theory the stock header with free flowing mufflers should perform in between the full stock and Yosh, I expect a bit more low/mid range power without as much top end as the Yosh, but more than stock mufflers.  Seat of the pants and old memory: the Yosh lost some power up to about 4k and gave a noticeable power boost from about 7k up, bike was stock other than a K&N.  Looking at the Yosh header compared to stock it's exactly what I expected.  The Yosh system is a ton lighter than stock, but I don't remember being able to feel it.  I wanted to do a stock vs. aftermarket slip-on comparison but didn't get around to it before selling the bike.

I think I still have a full system in the loft, maybe from a '01? They are mint, maybe 200 miles before aftermarket were installed. I can check if you like. In the Monterey area.

16 hours ago, SierraKLR said:

Thanks Rexx, I have entered into a an agreement to buy with PTXYZ, if that falls out for some reason I'll ping you back. 

If your bike doesn't have an O2 sensor you might want to remove the catalytic converters, if you've block your PAIR system even more so.  The cats could possibly run excessively hot, and if they stop working they'll start clogging up.  They might live happily ever after, but there's a chance that they won't.  I saw a Bird for sale a while back that apparently had some kind of running issue causing the cats to overheat, the mufflers had pretty bad discoloration.

Cats are pretty tough, but fairly brittle, typically it's a ceramic honeycomb.  There are also some that use a metallic substrate instead of ceramic but I've never deal with them and the bike probably doesn't use them.  I've knocked a few out with a hammer & punch and used a pry bar to crush any chunks that were too big to get out, large chunks probably won't be an issue with the Bird cats because of their size.  Drilling it out might be faster & easier, a spade bit might be the best way to go.  I'd use a cheapo since the cat might be hard enough to wreck the cutting edges.