CBR1100XX.org Forum

$30 off 23andme coupons

• 3 years later...

I’ll necromance here rather than start a new thread….

23 and Me has been hacked.  This was inevitable.  Forget TOS and contracts.  Once they map your DNA, they own it and you have no right to make them purge the data.  Your genetic profile, in the wrong hands, doesn’t just affect you, but it can affect everyone in your bloodline

If you really want to have a DNA profile done, go to a lab that contractually must purge the results once delivered…they have no ownership interest in the result.  If they purge the results and later get hacked, your data won’t fall into someone else’s hands.  If they later change TOS or fall under new ownership, you won’t need to worry if they choose to sell or otherwise use your profile.  Yeah, it likely will cost substantially more than 23 and Me, but that’s why…23 and Me is cheaper…the value contained in your genetic profile.

I’m contacting LabCorp about their privacy and data retention policy.  I know Carlos will argue to the contrary, but nothing stored digitally is 100% secure, “best practices” is not an assurance for today or tomorrow, and hackers will always target data perceived to have value…and short of how to access your money, few things are as valuable as your DNA profile.  The only secure way to do a DNA profile is if both samples and reports are completely purged shortly after the test is concluded.