CBR1100XX.org Forum

$30 off 23andme coupons

6-7 years ago we got word from my dad and uncle that us cousins had an aunt we didn't know about. They had been contacted by a lawyer that was retained by a woman who was adopted in the 40's.  They met her and did their own research before telling us about her.  Allegedly she was the daughter of my previously deceased grandmother and their half sister.  A few months later I bought a 23andme kit and a few weeks later got the results.  Who was tagged on there at 10% related and likely my aunt? That woman.

Friend of mine did 23andme and gave his older two sisters the same as a gift. Turns out none of them have the same father, their mother and father were married until the father died years ago and the mother is now suffering from dementia and is in a full time care facility.

Seems mom was a little frisky when pop wasn't around.

11 hours ago, SoCalBird said:

30 bucks off of getting registered with the Government so if any relative commits a crime  they have a place to start looking. 

Are there documented cases of this happening or is it just tin foil hat talk?

So it appears that if the cops had enough evidence to get a court order for a person, based on their name & address or email address, they could get their info, but probably can't walk in with someone's DNA and get a name, but not sure.  Since 2015, when they started keeping tabs, there have been 7 info requests for 10 accounts and none have been granted so I think it's pretty safe.

https://www.23andme.com/transparency-report/

Very much so.  It's conceivable that it could be used against you, and it has also been used to exonerate people who were wrongly accused and even convicted.  All swords have two edges.

Meanwhile I've learned some interesting things and modified behavior that will/has improved my health based on the data.

5 hours ago, FiXXation said:

Why couldn't a LEO submit a DNA sample from a crime to any or all of the services using a phony name to get a list of relatives as a place to start looking for a suspect?

Laws and cost.

10 hours ago, FiXXation said:

Why couldn't a LEO submit a DNA sample from a crime to any or all of the services using a phony name to get a list of relatives as a place to start looking for a suspect?

Hadn't thunk of that one, a cop could go on his own and do it.  He couldn't use it as evidence to submit, but could use it for his own investigation.  It would be expensive and probably illegal, chances seem slim, but it could happen.

Illegal and expensive for fishing.  Multiple felonies.  Seems rather far-fetched.  I suppose everything has a risk, that's why I'm currently in the bathtub covered with a sheet of plywood, and going to stay here permanently.

4 hours ago, SwampNut said:

I suppose everything has a risk, that's why I'm currently in the bathtub covered with a sheet of plywood, and going to stay here permanently.

If the plywood isn't covered with lead you are wasting your time.

I haven’t ruled out a life of crime yet, so no tests for me.😜

Green River Killer, Gary Ridgeway’s lawyer when advised Ridgeways’  DNA had been found on dead hookers...”Isn’t the point of seeing a prostitute to leave a little of your DNA behind?”  Brilliant.

Strange question for those of you in the know!
I am suspect that my deceased father is possibly not my real blood father.
If I compare DNA ancestry samples from my sister and my own is it possible to determine if we had the same father from birth?
Or do I have to have a sample from my Dad?

You could determine how much DNA the two of you share.  Do you KNOW he's her real father?  Could you get your mother to do the test?  The more samples, the more it paints the picture.

27 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

You could determine how much DNA the two of you share.  Do you KNOW he's her real father?  Could you get your mother to do the test?  The more samples, the more it paints the picture.

Unfortunately I can not easily get a sample from my mother. Yes I know my sister's real father but suspect that there may have been an affair or rape that produced me. I wish that Dad could have done a DNA test before he passed away in 2001 but it was just not very well known or publicised back then. Mom is 93 and not receptive to the subject at all, unfortunately.

to add; My sister and i both carry a genetic gene that comes from my mother so we know for sure we are both from the same mother. All three of us have a genetic defect called the Nail Patella Syndrome that is a dominant gene in my mothers side of the family.

Edited by John01XX
add info

In that case I believe it's very likely that you could get your answer, but it's not something I've studied carefully.  I've looked at the reports and things like "you share the same DNA with these people."  Pretty sure you'd get the answer.  There are probably FAQs on the web site covering that.

• Upvote 1

Eddie Murphy referenced 23 and Me on a SNL skit, which was hilarious. Worth watching on youtube. John, maybe your dad was a blackman? Might explain why you are black from the waist down. 😎

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2019/12/22/saturday-night-live-eddie-murphy-mister-robinson-return-brings-back-classic-skit/

• Upvote 1