CBR1100XX.org Forum

F350 Project Compilation

rockmeupto125

Meh, you can hardly see it, stand back and look at that beauty.  Now imagine yourself driving down the boulevard in that bad boy knowing you have enough power under the hood to take a house off its foundation.

That was the seller talking.

• 4 months later...

How about an update?

It's been a local runner since Racer.  Jess gets 19mpg on the 150 mile trip to work and back. I haven't tried with any tuner settings other than "towing mode."

Had to have a new rear main seal in it.  I can't do that big stuff very well anymore, so that was $1000.  They had to order extra parts because of some extra hardware on the 2WD version which makes no sense, but that's the way it is.  Then they got the driveshaft in backwards, so it wasn't happy at all going down the road. 

I took one vehicle to the vet, maybe the others will up their game a little bit now that they see Toby didn't come back.

19 minutes ago, rockmeupto125 said:

How about an update?

It's been a local runner since Racer.  Jess gets 19mpg on the 150 mile trip to work and back. I haven't tried with any tuner settings other than "towing mode."

Had to have a new rear main seal in it.  I can't do that big stuff very well anymore, so that was $1000.  They had to order extra parts because of some extra hardware on the 2WD version which makes no sense, but that's the way it is.  Then they got the driveshaft in backwards, so it wasn't happy at all going down the road. 

I took one vehicle to the vet, maybe the others will up their game a little bit now that they see Toby didn't come back.

75 miles to work, so what you mean is a leisurely 45 minute drive. (Stolen and misquoted from Clint Eastwood in the Eiger Sanction). I hope Jess gets to ride to work occasionally, that would be a nice decompression ride, assuming she could still feel her legs after a shift. 

Hell no, you know the area.  Just about deer thirty, then through the fog in the morning traveling through the woods, its not a good equation.  I would do it, but I can take a bigger bike with more luggage space and a bigger fairing.  On a good note, I'm 2 miles from work, so I can take a leasurely 90 second ride to work when necessary and park next to the building with the bike (plus 10 minutes for the 1/4 mile walk, locked doors and decompression chamber).  Small plus is that she walks 200 ft from the parking lot through the door and she's at work.

On 9/3/2020 at 4:07 AM, rockmeupto125 said:

I haven't tried with any tuner settings other than "towing mode."

Every tuner and engine is different, but in my limited experiments the 'high performance' tunes seem to do best.  Many others report the same, but I don't recall reading any MPG comparisons on the 6.4.  I imagine a tow tune would be the worst, but your MPG is pretty good.  Is she a casual cruiser or pushing high speed?  And did you end up deleting the DPF and regen?

Running a hot tune on a 6.4 is a bit sketchy, especially if it was created by someone that isn't really familiar with the 6.4 and isn't willing to sacrifice impressive numbers for longevity.  If you're running 10 year old tunes they're less likely to be as safe as something written after people learned the weak points.

The tech guy from the tuner company recommended level three as the best for towing AND for mileage.  He said the truck would bog on level 1, level two is stock, level three is another 70 hp, four is 100, five is 120.  I want it to last, so its stayed where they recomended.

Jess runs 55-65 on the two lane roads.  Sometimes with traffic its hard to get up to 45 so that it shifts to overdrive.   The DPF and EGR cooler are deleted, and of course the regen is defeated while in "maintenance mode" on the tuner. 

Seems to run pretty strong, not loud, and no smoke. All good. Pulls real fine up to 100mph, which is a good place to let off with an 8000 pound truck.

• Upvote 1

My 2005 Ram really did great with the tow mode.  Added 100-something HP and improved MPG in an obvious way.  The performance 1 mode was cute and fun, but twitchy.  Performance 2 was guaranteed to blow up a stock trans, according to them.  I used it once.