CBR1100XX.org Forum

F350 Project Compilation

rockmeupto125

You were expecting a video, weren't you?

I decided to lump everything together as things are finally coalescing.

Door locks cleaned, work pretty good at this time.  Was looking forward to my super secret switches but that was bypassed in the name of time.

New big mirrors for towing are installed.  Cheap chinkos that didn't fit really well, but a dremel tool helped that.

Got the blend door actuator changed and the wiring cleaned up under the dash, that's back together.

Still removing excess wiring from underneath the poor thing.

Sourced a  bunch of bolts that were missing.

Got the seatbelt chime remedied.

Exhaust is fixed, tuner's in place.  Still have a progressively creeping high idle I have to figure out.

Some small wiring chores to take care of.

Putting in the radio from Crutchfield this weekend.  Thanks for the heads up on them. Haven't bought anything from them in decades. Didn't they used to be in Idaho or something?

Upholstery is not a native skill I possess.  But the new foam and fixing the spring support helped a lot.  Still have seat covers to fit.

This thing gets along pretty well.  Looking forward to seeing  how it does pulling.

32 minutes ago, rockmeupto125 said:

Yes, the orphan 6.4.  You coming to Racer or not?

I'm letting it slip through my fingers. I may be in Atlanta a couple weeks before that.

Work is really busy. Work is making business changes. Family stuff. I have more excuses than Cater's has pills.

I'm getting old and liking change less.

Excuses excuses....

13 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

Exhaust is fixed, tuner's in place.

6.4 + hot tuning=kaboom.  If the tuner is just to support a DPF delete cool, if it's a power enhancer it could be dangerous.  These are said to be pretty sensitive to timing and many tuners bump the timing to make more power.  I assume any recently written tune would take that into account now that it's known, but many buyers just look for the best advertised HP numbers so maybe not.  They have very adequate power in stock form, resist the temptation to hop it up.  The acceleration might not be much better than your Chevy PU, it might even feel slower, but when you put your trailer/heavy load on it you'll find that it looses a lot less than the Chevy did.

5 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

I can be reasonably happy with 19mgp.

That's way better than stock from what I've read.  And guessing it's more than your gas truck did.

I'm tempted to see what my 7.3 PS could do at 65, but 80+ feels too good so I deal with the 16-17 MPG.  From what I've read it should do over 20.

3 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

That's way better than stock from what I've read.  And guessing it's more than your gas truck did.

I'm tempted to see what my 7.3 PS could do at 65, but 80+ feels too good so I deal with the 16-17 MPG.  From what I've read it should do over 20.

@45 mph about 25 mpg

2 hours ago, XXitanium said:

@45 mph about 25 mpg

Possibly, or maybe more?  At that speed the converter's locked and it's lumbering along at under 1300RPM, no boost and very little drive pressure so it *should* be super efficient.  It's the minimum legal freeway speed, I'll try that next time I go to Arizona.

Not.

I have hypermiled on fumes more than once.  The Excursion ran dry on the freeway once while reading between 1/4 and E.  I managed to get off the freeway and just a couple feet from the top of a little hill that woulda let me coast to a gas station, so close and yet so far.  Then I discovered how common it is for the pickup foot in the tank to be broken on an old 7.3PS.

Second time I ran out early was when I discovered that the Dorman replacement isn't very good.  In it's defense I think I pumped gas into it shortly after the replacement so that mighta been the killer, it swelled and the valve fell out allowing it to suck air through the side.

Edited by superhawk996

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, XXitanium said:

20200302_195735.jpg

20200302_195714.jpg

20200302_195700.jpg

I was hoping it would be one of those $500 buddy barn finds in which case I'd jump on it even with the shipping cost.  $5500 seems a little high but I don't know what the market there is.  If it's not too rusty it would probably get that here.  The IDI diesels have a bit of a cult like following and it seems to keep growing, or at least holding strong.  I just sold my crusty hard starting smoke belching shitty tire having dead radio bare bones '88 E-350 cargo diesel for $1000 on the first day and I had a line of people wanting it.  I used it for almost 10 years, mostly on free fuel,(used motor oil) stole a bunch of parts for the ambulance, and came up $500; not terrible.

The rust and what looks like a hole in the front of the hood is suspicious, but the rest looks pretty nice.  Being that it snows the underside could be fucked unless it was well cared for.  I just received a driveshaft from a junkyard in TX for my '91 ambulance and it's rusted to shit, not what I expected.  Guessing it was a transplant vehicle.

• 1 month later...

There is a 2000 F350 I'm looking at at auction in Billings with hail damage. I've bid it up to $3750 a couple times, not accepted.

There are a few around at $6K. This one has 236k miles.

Any point in going much past 4500?  I'm dodge cummins 5.9 so the 7.3 would be different.

resizer.jpeg