CBR1100XX.org Forum

Patch/ Plug Front Tire?

nomadicdread

13 hours ago, poida said:

slime powersport compressor and tyre plug kit.pumping up the tyre on my vfr800 in georgia back in 2013.plugged 2 punctures from 3 inch nails 

One more and you’d have a band.

7 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

What, that BMW don't come with one?  My Honda did.  😁

6 hours ago, nomadicdread said:

Nah, it came with matched luggage fitted for the cases. You think we get our hands dirty?

BMWs come with roadside assistance.  ;)  Well, at least the first year is free. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Zero Knievel said:

BMWs come with roadside assistance.  ;)  Well, at least the first year is free. :unsure:

Remember that nail you picked up on the twisted sisters? What happened there? I forget.....

Anyway, N. Dread, there is a plug tool set, John01XX may sell them, I forget what they are called, but they are fucking amazing. I rode something like 1500 miles on one out west once. I keep one on my bike and one in my MINI.

5 hours ago, RXX said:

Remember that nail you picked up on the twisted sisters? What happened there? I forget.....

Nail entered at an angle...never punctured the carcass.  When I pulled the nail to plug the tire, we discovered that it never punctured.

2 hours ago, nomadicdread said:

Bike has (3)...count em'...1, 2, 3, 12v outlets for just such an occasion.

The C02 cartridge can help if the tire bead seal has been broken as it produces a faster fill rate than a 12V compressor. If you ride in a group probably wise to have both.

2 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

For airing back up there's the small compressors and also a CO2 tire filler, I think it uses the same little canisters used in BB guns.

Yep

6 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

The C02 cartridge can help if the tire bead seal has been broken as it produces a faster fill rate than a 12V compressor. If you ride in a group probably wise to have both.

How much tire PSI does one CO2 cartridge provide for inflation?  I can’t imagine it’s a lot.

17 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

How much tire PSI does one CO2 cartridge provide for inflation?  I can’t imagine it’s a lot.

It's not a question of how much PSI it contains. It's the speed it can enter the tire assembly. Small volume compressors don't move enough CFM at times.

18 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

The pressure in the cartridge depends on temperature, but at 70F it's not even 900 PSI so yea, not a lot.  In the under tail storage of a BB on a hot day it would be lucky to hit 2500 PSI, the shit's weak, but it'll still manage to fill a tire.

I guess you might be asking how much PSI it'll get a tire up to, not much.  I think it takes around 6 cylinders to fully air one up.  And despite it possibly having a better chance at seating a bead vs. a little compressor, it probably wouldn't be much better.  Best chance of doing that without a high volume air source is explosives or volatile flammables, I usually use quick start and used carb cleaner once.  I saw a video where someone used what looked like an M-80, but fireworks labeled as M-80 vary greatly in power.  I don't recall any bike tires I've played with being challenging to seat, without the bike's weight on it.  If it's on the bike you'll want to take the weight off of it so it'll seat more easily.

47 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

I don't recall any bike tires I've played with being challenging to seat, without the bike's weight on it.

I never did until the last Bridgestone that I put on the front of the Wing.  The sidewalls are so stiff that without air in the tire with the weight of the bike on it, you can't tell it is flat from looking.  It was the first tire that I couldn't get on all the way, just couldn't get that last little bit over the rim and was afraid of breaking the wheel.  I took it to a bike shop and it took him a few tries with a machine.  It then took two guys and a strap with much trouble to get the bead to catch.

On 2/10/2020 at 3:23 AM, Zero Knievel said:

It depends on the size.  There are at least three sizes of them.  The tiny ones are for bicycles.  Medium ones require a few to fill a motorcycle tire.  With a large one I got around 20-25 PSI, so two do the job.  I carry some tiny and mediums on the mountain bike, with a wood plug to adapt both sizes to the filler.