CBR1100XX.org Forum

Patch/ Plug Front Tire?

nomadicdread

Got to inspecting the new BMW some more tonight and determined that the front tire is leaking from a puncture.  I’m looking into my options among friends to patch and plug it myself. However, I’ve never ridden on a patched/plugged motorcycle tire. Would you?

you can see that the puncture is in the tread. Additionally, it was like this at the dealership and they didn’t catch it even after I inquired about the low tire pressure from 1,300 miles away. 

57458AD7-10BE-4F46-808E-4E7F7852BDD8.jpeg

0023B6C0-8D75-459F-9C66-F18E16576395.jpeg

4D73D4D4-CD52-45AA-945D-32B92E5D3357.jpeg

You might plug it to move it around until you replace it.  It looks pretty well squared off.  What is the DOT date on the tire?

Riding solo, I rounded a bend into a box of cabinet staples scattered across the road.  The rear tire caught several, but went down slowly enough to get to a spot to insert multiple plugs.  The handling deteriorated a lot as the tire went down.  Considering the riding pillion you're planning for the GT, I wouldn't risk it unless I had to.

Edited by FiXXation
Add another thought.
  • Upvote 1

My first thought is to talk to them, point out that you specifically asked about it, and see what they're willing to do.  I'm reminded of an old story I once heard about a guy who bought some Repsol fairings that weren't quite right.

Second thought is https://www.tireject.com   I haven't used it on a bike tire.  I was searching for a way to salvage my Banshee's leaky old sand tires and this product kept showing up as the best tire sealant.  It worked despite having a shit ton of sidewall leaks and using half the recommended amount.

Middle of tread?  I’d try having it patched if there’s lots of life left on the tire.  So long as pressure holds, I’d worry only if I rode in a way to regularly put high stress on the front tire.

I’ve got friends with tire machines and or the tools to dismount the wheel and tire who have offered the help or loan the hand tools. 

I sent the selling dealer an email last night expressing my displeasure. So I’m hoping they are going to pony up for a fix or replacement. 

Send it back and they'll fix it without charge.

I'd pull the tire, plug from the inside, and ride it. But I'm cheap.  I know many others who would just replace the tire.  I've ridden everywhere I'd ride on a new tire on a patched tire, including the track.

Sometimes it didn't work out well, but that's my fault.  You can't successfully patch cords with a teensy-weensy layer of rubber over them. 🚫

2 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

Send the tire back? To the dealer?

So far today the selling dealer replied to my email with a bunch of apologies. My response was "Thanks for the apologies. What can you do to help with it?"

Tire code 4816. So that would be the last week of November or the first week of December 2016.

3 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

Send the tire back? To the dealer?

So far today the selling dealer replied to my email with a bunch of apologies. My response was "Thanks for the apologies. What can you do to help with it?"

Tire code 4816. So that would be the last week of November or the first week of December 2016.

My better half really wants a new tire on the front....especially since she's riding on the back.

Edited by nomadicdread

Will you be commuting on the bike? Patch and ride. Serious miles touring or aggressive stuff! Replace. You will be thinking about that patch every 10 seconds if you are hundreds of miles from home or are raising hell in curves. 

I have ridden about as much as anybody on a plugged rear tire, and it was on my mind constantly. I have ridden down a blow out on a rear tire, but am pretty sure I would not have been so lucky with a front blowout.

But then again, I saw a guy burst front and rear simultaneously and did not drop the bike. Of course it was a BMW. 

20 minutes ago, RXX said:

But then again, I saw a guy burst front and rear simultaneously and did not drop the bike. Of course it was a BMW. 

lol.

Kinda leery on the front tire.  Plug patch with the curvature of the tire would be suspect to me, plus the loss of integrity of the carcass.  Lot of weight on the front, increases exponentially under braking and turning.  I'd replace it.

I like getting multiple opinions. I really do. It REALLY helps with getting perspective on whatever situation I'm engrossed in.

Fortunately I still have my dad to call too. He listened and admitted, "I put a plug in my Valkyrie tire once and rode it until the tire needed to be replaced. But it was the rear tire." I knew deep down that I should replace the tire, even though I wanted to patch & plug it.

So I called the BMW dealer down the hill and they had what I needed and plenty of time to do it. I called the Honda shop and they didn't have the tire (could get it in a day) and had to check if they had the tool to balance it. Then they asked what kind of bike, when I said BMW the dude says Oh...it's going to be $220 in labor. BMW quoted me $80 for labor and charged me $59 for labor. So yes, I took it in and they were finished before I could even get good and settled into the sofa.

So many said "plug it and ride" that I didn't really want to be the only one, but I wouldn't do it other than an emergency fix.  A patch for a tiny leak like you have, sure, because there's probably no real damage done to the structure of the tire so it should be fine.  Plugging that tiny leak will require enlarging the hole, ripping out cords creating a weak spot and deformation, and I wouldn't feel comfortable with it.

No, you dont have to enlarge anything for "tiny leak". I've fixed many, many small and medium leaks with something like that. OP has tiny leak.

If it looks like it would need a plug from inside I replace tire.

https://m.autozone.com/tire-repair-and-tire-wheel/tire-plugger-kit/slime-t-handle-tire-plugger-kit/486791_0_0?spps.s=6529&cmpid=LIA:US:EN:AD:NL:1000000:TRW:71700000060668488&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAiAj-_xBRBjEiwAmRbqYrrFCacZ6R6JJ0JO8BHjWoShcmiB6OkYrihInobKgl21li_uOI6xuBoCdBgQAvD_BwE

The majority of people that I've talked to about this also said, "plug and patch", and they were ready to help me in any way they could.  They were all riders. 

I'll you what though, I'm definitely putting a plug kit on the bike and I see they have neat little compressors now too.