CBR1100XX.org Forum

Auctmarts Repsol Black/White fairings, don't buy them if you expect it to look perfect.

Crashedbirb

So I've been working in my blackbird ever since I got in an accident in August, i finally got around to buying new fairings and i loved the look of the Repsol Black/White ones auctmarts did. I ordered them and the whole process took around 3 weeks, when they sent me the photo showing them completed before being sent out I noticed the Repsol on the nose was crooked but assured me that it wasnt. So I let it be and to wait for them to come in. They came in 2 days ago and I'm a little annoyed since everything else looks great. I'm in love with them except for the crooked repsol on the nose is bothering me horribly, I contacted them and they said it isnt a work of art and can't be perfect. I'll stick with them since I already paid and returning would cost nearly $200 I dont have. I wonder if i could sand the clear coat, remove the stickers, apply a new one and clear coat over it again.

20200127_121940.jpg

20200127_121944.jpg

Screenshot_20200129-043557_eBay.jpg

Edited by Crashedbirb
Typo

2 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6230175?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

How much was just the noise cone piece, / could they just fix it or send a new one?

What method did you use to pay for the bodywork? You may have recourse.

Do you know anyone with a body shop?

I have no idea how much and they just didn't give an answer about the nose when I asked about a replacement. I payed on ebay with PayPal and I think I might just go the route of finding a body shop to fix it. It doesn't seem like a major job. I'm super happy with the rest of the fairings though

It's not what they advertised though. They have a customer contact page...  eBay has buyer protection and you can leave them based feedback there. I don't know if writing a dissatisfied Google review would influence them, but it might help others.

You told Auctmarts before they mailed it to you...

https://shop.auctmarts.com/promotion/new-arrivals/1j12.html

1j12.jpg

Edited by XXitanium

1 minute ago, XXitanium said:

It's not what they advertised though. They have a customer contact page...  eBay has buyer protection and you can leave them based feedback there. I don't know if writing a dissatisfied Google review would influence them, but it might help others.

You told Auctmarts before they mailed it to you...

https://shop.auctmarts.com/promotion/new-arrivals/1j12.html

I will leave a mediocre review soon, sadly it is a bit disappointing but I don't have the money to deal with returning them and they already said they aren't going do much. A neutral review was left on their ebay already from me. I just want others to know to be careful with them.

20200127_121537.jpg

Yeah...sale photo looks like decal was cut with a curve to fit (or a lot of care was used in application) and yours was cut straight and cut to fit.  If you’re good with sanding and painting, I suppose you could redo it as long as you find someone willing to recut that decal so it fits properly.  At least white is an easy color to match.

14 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

No.

If he does this right he won't have to paint though.

1 hour ago, Zero Knievel said:

Yeah...sale photo looks like decal was cut with a curve to fit (or a lot of care was used in application) and yours was cut straight and cut to fit.  If you’re good with sanding and painting, I suppose you could redo it as long as you find someone willing to recut that decal so it fits properly.  At least white is an easy color to match.

The rest of the fairings look great so far

15803026371595733067179128720045.jpg

20200129_075928.jpg

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

At least white is an easy color to match.

LOL!

If I understand correctly, these are vinyl decals applied on cured basecoat, then clear-coated over.  You can use an X-acto to cut the clear along the edges of the letters, then peel off the letters.  There's some art in being able to smooth out the edges of the clear without damaging the base, so you have a new flat surface and no need to color match.  What tools do you own?  What experience do you have with sanding and buffing?

I understand the annoyance, and you can't make yourself not see it.  I'd also say it's not terrible, and while I'm no fan of race sticker bikes, I like the total result on your bike.

5 hours ago, Crashedbirb said:

Screenshot_20200129-043557_eBay.jpg

Fuck you, your manager, your handle grips, and the blind fuck that put this decal on, just send me what you advertise.  I would state it more nicely since the next step would probably be to open a dispute.  The Repsol in the ad photo is not only straight, it's larger.  I'd go with either size but I think the larger one looks better, but maybe only because it's not fucked up.  They fucked up, you specifically questioned that fuck up before they sent it, they said it wasn't fucked up so there's no reason you should have to pay for them to fix their fuck up.

Since you said "white is easy" I assume you're either real good at this kinda stuff or naive, because you're questioning it I'm leaning towards the latter.  I don't know that I'd be able to fix it well so I wouldn't accept it.  If you know you can fix it and feel that fixing it is less hassle then I get it.    If you're only going that route because you think you have no option other than paying $200 to get it corrected you're probably wrong.  Once you work on it I'm guessing you'll have no recourse, unless you communicate that first and they agree.

If you wanna remove that sticker and clear coat it later here is what you gotta do. Btw, removing stickers first and then trying tp get rid of the clear coat edge is, well, retarded. 

Get some sort of sanding block, something like in the picture. Mix some warm water with soap and throw couple sheets of wet or dry 600 sand paper in it for 10-15 minues. Cut each sheet into 4 pieces. 

Wrap sand paper around your sanding block, and start sanding along the edges of each sticker. Keep things wet. Stop when the edge of the sticker starts to disappear. You have to be very careful not to overdo. Remove the sticker. Hopefully it will come off nice and clean.

Screenshot_20200129-104220.png

Edited by tomek

1 minute ago, tomek said:

If you wanna remove that sticker and clear coat it later here is what you gotta do. Btw, removing stickers first and then trying tp get rid of the clear coat edge is, well, retarded. 

Get some sort of sanding block, something like in the picture. Mix some warm water with soap and throw couple sheets of wet or dry 600 sand paper in it for 10-15 minues. Cut each sheet into 4 pieces. 

Wrap sand paper around your sanding block, and start sanding along the edges of each sticker. Keep things wet. Stop when the edge of the sticker starts to disappear. You have to be very careful not to overdo. Remove the sticker. Hopefully it will come off nice and clean.

Thanks!! I appreciate the help, Itll be some time before I put the front nose on since I still need to fix it but I got the rest of the fairings on and it looks really good!

Here's a walk around: https://streamable.com/6jwnh

Don't let those people stick it to you.  They sent you garbage and they need to fix it. Don't fix it yourself. They either need to refund you at least partially or they need to send you a new correct piece and pay for return shipping of the piece you have.

I hope you paid with a credit card that has your back because they don't like to pay for garbage products and most of the time look out for their customer. I would deny the charge.

• Upvote 1

Just now, nomadicdread said:

Don't let those people stick it to you.  They sent you garbage and they need to fix it. Don't fix it yourself. They either need to refund you at least partially or they need to send you a new correct piece and pay for return shipping of the piece you have.

I hope you paid with a credit card that has your back because they don't like to pay for garbage products and most of the time look out for their customer. I would deny the charge.

This was purchased on my debit card like 3 weeks ago 😕

Since I placed the fairings on, it immediately invalidates any sort of refund/return, I left them with a neutral review saying the item wasnt as describe and customer service was bad.

5 minutes ago, Crashedbirb said:

Since I placed the fairings on, it immediately invalidates any sort of refund/return

Um, no, no it does not.  You have Paypal buyer protection.  Use it before it runs out.  Using the product does not void the warranty of merchantability, and that's the law.  On top of that, Paypal has a strict policy on delivering EXACTLY the item in the photos.  If they are one-offs, then the rules require a photo of the one to be delivered to be shown before you pay.

Honestly, I don't believe you're out of options. I suggest that you call up the bank for your debit card and tell them the situation.  So what that you installed it. That doesn't change the fact they sold you less than perfect products for the same price as perfect and told you that it was finished correctly.

My business has 100% customer satisfaction. You won't find any neutral or negative reviews about me  because there are none, never have been, never will be. While it's seemingly impossible to please everyone, there is not excuse to deliver less than a perfect product.

Also, I only said "Paypal," but BOTH eBay and Paypal have buyer protection.  As a mostly seller, they are very strict on it.  I can always prove I did my part, but they have asked me for documentation a few times and strictly following the protocols is a must.  File a "not as described" TODAY and let them step in.  Do it now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Listen to Carlos - Both PayPal and Ebay are very good at getting involved and getting resolution.

Use them!

White is not easy to match, when I last had the DuPont color catalogue in our paint shop there were 38 shades of white.

Not to mention the finished product can differ because of the way they were mixed as well as how applied. There are too many variables and you are doing things right, so take advantage of what eBay and/or PayPal offer to help.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Crashedbirb, how was the fitment as far as the mounting holes lining up and the thickness vs the stock panels?  I have always been curious about these aftermarket body kits.

Thickness and weight of them compared to oem feels identical but fitment can uhhh, it can be an absolute bitch. It took me nearly 3 hours to get just 4 of the panels on.

JPEG_20200129_102123.jpg

Just now, superhawk996 said:

Are the curves off or is it just the placement of the screw holes?

Screw holes are slightly off and the curves are wrong but right? Its hard to explain, it gets on with a lil bit of work. I actually had to saw the rear cowl, I actually forgot about the NOS tanks and how the last owner had cut outs in the fairings for them to fit lol

10 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

the next step would probably be to open a dispute.  

Auctmarts Repsol Black/White fairings, don't buy them if you expect it to look perfect.

Good money was paid for a brand new product. Feedback was given, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't negate the ability to open a dispute.

Ask for a new nose cone done right, or a full refund including shipping.

Use your eBay protection.

You will actually be doing them a favor encouraging them to improve their shipped product quality. Seriously.

3 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

So nothing like OEM, and total crap you say?

I guess you could put it like that lol

They look good when fitted and it took me longer since the NOS tanks.

I got ahold of my old manager who does auto body work on the side and he might be able to help me fix it for free, just need to get the supplies myself.