CBR1100XX.org Forum

Change from Digital to Analog?

nomadicdread

Is it possible, has anyone changed one of the Fi model digital cluster to a Fi analog cluster?

In my quest, it appears that I come to a pass often going from ‘98 to ‘03. Most often I’m seeing ‘03 in black which is the color I prefer but, they have the digital cluster that I don’t care for. 

I can’t say yes or no, but I considered the reverse for my ‘99.  In theory, if the “pins” of a digital dash match those of an analog dash, I would expect it to work.  I did something similar on my old S-10 pickup...put in an improved gauge cluster from a higher trim model.  Only modification was that I had to replace the oil pressure sensor as I went from a warning light to a needle gauge.

That's something to consider.  I was really attached to the analog and was kinda bummed about loosing it when I got the '01.  Then got over it.  But now I'm back to analog and altho I like it, it didn't stand out as a huge bonus.

From recollection, they swap easily and the only issue is that one has an FI light and the other a side stand light.  But I don't remember if it's a straight plug & play or not.  I'm almost certain I read about it here somewhere.

2 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Just ride it, you'll probably get over it.

In the past I moved forward with a vehicle purchase based on that sentiment. Three years later when people ask if I'm still liking it my response is, "If I would have waited a bit longer, I would have got something else."  It's been 19 years since they changed the cluster and I don't think I'll start taking a shine to it any time soon.

4 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

You can certainly change the cluster.  You need a different wiring connection to the loom and I believe the temp sensor.

'99 and '00 were analog gauges...not a big deal.  The FI/kickstand light are the same, just different lettering/color on the cluster cover.

Have you seen this or have an image of this different wiring connection?

I've seen this wiring connection a few times.

The front sub harness on the analog clocks is 32102-MAT-A00.  It has two plugs that fit into the analog dash.

The front sub Harness on the digital clocks is 32101-MAT-A20.  It has a single plug that fits into the digital dash.

I never took pictures of them.

When I plug a digital dash into my '99, the temp gauge doesn't work.  As I recall, it has to be switched out to the later sensor.

I've never plugged an analog dash into my 2001, so I can't say that it works, but there's no reason to suspect it wouldn't, except for the temperature sensor.

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2020 at 4:29 PM, rockmeupto125 said:

I've seen this wiring connection a few times.

The front sub harness on the analog clocks is 32102-MAT-A00.  It has two plugs that fit into the analog dash.

The front sub Harness on the digital clocks is 32101-MAT-A20.  It has a single plug that fits into the digital dash.

I never took pictures of them.

When I plug a digital dash into my '99, the temp gauge doesn't work.  As I recall, it has to be switched out to the later sensor.

I've never plugged an analog dash into my 2001, so I can't say that it works, but there's no reason to suspect it wouldn't, except for the temperature sensor.

I see what you’re saying now. 

I wonder if a person would have to make changes to the plug that connects the sub assembly. 

For the temp sensor that’s mentioned, is that a engine temp sensor or air temp sensor?

51123EAB-6EC7-4C85-8859-DB2B01DC2A60.png

C674ABD2-2409-460F-AF32-75B2F5A9B29B.png

19 minutes ago, rockmeupto125 said:

Its a straight plug in.

You need the engine temperature sensor from a digital XX.  Some installs spoke of a resistor someplace,  but I can't help you there, sorry.

So, if I had a ‘01 or newer bike I’d have   the engine temp sensor, and that installs into the ‘00 or older cluster?

Edited by nomadicdread
My thumbs

4 minutes ago, rockmeupto125 said:

Find a parts bike, didja?

The entire cluster and the cable plugged into it swaps over. The temp sensor is in the engine head. And if you just plug the later cluster into the harness, everything works except the temp gauge.

lol not quite.  I am seriously considering an '03 and have eyes on a decently priced '99-'00 instrument cluster and the sub-wiring assembly.

In theory, I could use a '99-'00 temp sensor? Or are they different plugs?

I've got the same conversation going on at the other forum https://www.cbrxx.com/threads/change-cluster-from-digital-to-analog.49673/#post-639529 

The mention of the analog using two sensors, one for temp and another to start the fan has me going deeper down the rabbit hole of figuring this out.

AFAIK the fan is controlled using a temp switch in the radiator up to about '00, and later ones are triggered by the ECU.  If the ECU and gauge use the same sensor then changing the sensor to an early one is likely to fuck with the fan activation and tuning.  If that sensor is only for the gauge and the ECU uses a different temp. sensor then all should be fine.

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

AFAIK the fan is controlled using a temp switch in the radiator up to about '00, and later ones are triggered by the ECU.  If the ECU and gauge use the same sensor then changing the sensor to an early one is likely to fuck with the fan activation and tuning.  If that sensor is only for the gauge and the ECU uses a different temp. sensor then all should be fine.

That's just about what this other guy is saying https://www.cbrxx.com/threads/change-cluster-from-digital-to-analog.49673/

I know some people are just prejudiced against carbs, and I kinda get it, but they haven't given me any issues.  Other than the cold start/warm up I can't tell the difference.  I went from a '97, to '01, and now back to '97.  With big elevation & temperature changes the FI should do better so that could be more of an issue for some.

Just now, superhawk996 said:

Yup, coolant temp.

OK. So then I'm trying to understand, how have the correct water temp sensor for whatever dash is used, and having the correct thermo switch would cause a problem for fan triggering.

Here's a quote from the other forum.

So looking at that thread. Its possible to reverse the directions and put the analog dash in. If you change out the FI bulb in the analog dash to an LED bulb you may have that issue fixed. The temp sensor is going to be your issue as it's going to read wrong on the gauge. If you switch it to fix the gauge then your going to alter your fan actuation point. These circuits are one and the same on the digital and separate on the analog.
That makes the switch over to digital the easier of the 2. To go the other way your going to have to accept a misreading temp gauge or find a way to recalibrate it (if it even has the correct range).

So that explains what Rockme was saying about the temp gauge not working, I think.  So then the question would be, how does a temp gauge get calibrated?

On a Carbie/early EFI the sensor is only for the gauge, the fan is triggered by the switch in the radiator, so swapping the analog sensor for a digital dash sensor has no impact on the bike.  If the EFI bike is using the sensor for the ECU then swapping in the analog dash the sensor will fuck with it.  If the digital dash temp sensor is lower resistance than the analog dash sensor then you might be able leave the digital dash sensor in and put a resistor in line with the analog dash temp sensor so that the ECU sees the right temp and the gauge sees the right temp for it to work normally, or at least in a relatively good range where it'll be useful.  Or put in a separate temp gauge.  Or just ignore the temp gauge since they *never* overheat.

14 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

The entire cluster and the cable plugged into it swaps over. The temp sensor is in the engine head. And if you just plug the later cluster into the harness, everything works except the temp gauge.

14 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

Been racking my brain all day with posts trying to understand the things going on the background. I think I'm starting to understand now and was likely chasing my tail today due to a number of other factors.

So, is there a way to calibrate the temp gauge?

3 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

On a Carbie/early EFI the sensor is only for the gauge, the fan is triggered by the switch in the radiator, so swapping the analog sensor for a digital dash sensor has no impact on the bike.  If the EFI bike is using the sensor for the ECU then swapping in the analog dash the sensor will fuck with it.  If the digital dash temp sensor is lower resistance than the analog dash sensor then you might be able leave the digital dash sensor in and put a resistor in line with the analog dash temp sensor so that the ECU sees the right temp and the gauge sees the right temp for it to work normally, or at least in a relatively good range where it'll be useful.  Or put in a separate temp gauge.  Or just ignore the temp gauge since they *never* overheat.

The digital dash sensor? I'm starting to understand what's going but, which digital dash sensor are you talking about possibly leaving in?