CBR1100XX.org Forum

F350 Project #1 Door Locks

rockmeupto125

It looks like I'm stuck with this 2008 Ford F350, so I need to get it online.

I'm not numbering all my little repair projects by priority or time line.  Just jotting them down as I ask for ideas and such.

So this problem is the door locks.  While the truck does have power door locks, it was built with CBGAA-Without keyless entry system.

The power door locks work just fine.  But the key locks on both sides are very resistant to use even after some lubrication.  So I thought, why not just wire in a remote?  I even tried to program a remote just to see if the truck still had the capability, just no programmed remotes, but no dice.

After looking for some sort of remote that could trigger the connection, I felt like I was barking up a tree.  So how about an externally mounted switch to unlock the doors?  I only need unlock, not locking capability. I'd either have to hide the switch, or have some sort of a coded push button device.  I though of grabbing one of the keyless entry pads from another Ford, but apparently they are tied into the computer, and I want something simple.

So...any ideas for a switch that has a code, or do I have to fit it up in the fenderwell?

As always, thanks for reading and for any input.

I don't know what CBGAA is supposed to mean here.  There are lots of 12v secure relay options; would you like an RFID card?  A keypad?  Shit, I think I have one with both.  Is this a case where ugly and intrusive is ok?

Cbgaa is just the Ford build sheet option code.

Didn't know what all the options were. An RFID card sounds neat. I really didn't want to have to wire a relay inside that door, that's why I was thinking just a momentary contact switch. Then I have the grief of trying to hide it. I'll do either, just have to figure out something.

Quick and dirty, as long as I don't have to drill a lot of holes in the door. It's one of the relatively undented pieces on the truck.

Let me see what I have laying around.  Pretty sure I have a big (ish) ugly NFC reader and keypad combo box.  I have a ton of NFC cards.  Also I said RFID generically, meaning proximity card/fob, but they really are NFC.  You probably don't care.  They do the same thing.  But your phone MIGHT be able to work with an NFC reader, and won't with RFID.  Meaning scan your phone to open.

The relay would be built into the reader, I just don't recall its capacity.  Might need a second relay.

Found it.  3A relay built in.  Program and scan NFC cards and devices to open.  It will basically just provide relay closure for a moment.  I was going to use a couple for my garage doors, but before my Round Tuit arrived, Homekit arrived to let me open them with a voice command.

Warning:  The chip implanted in my hand is already programmed in them, and I could steal your truck!!

But yeah, keys are cheap.

RFID/NFC would be cool.  You could mount it inside the door, if they work through steel, or behind the plastic inner fender.  Possibly inside the mirror housing if the thing is small enough.  Something like that could also eliminate the need for an ignition key, just wire it to a latching relay that energizes the vehicle's "on" circuit.  It would be super easy on a bike since they already have start and stop buttons and most have no special electronics to deal with, just need to energize a simple circuit for "on".  Guessing Carlos will be starting his bikes with his implant in 3...2....1....

Forgot the pic.

No, RFID and NFC do not work through metals.  And to put a tag on metal requires a special shielded tag.  These are RF inductively coupled things, metals are their enemy.

image.png

As far as ignition, here's a Hayabusa that is started with a hand implant like mine...

Best Buy usually has a remote start car alarm on sale installed for $300 or so.  Then your truck can be locked, unlocked, starts and warms up, and if you don't want the false alarm problems just tell them to not install the shock sensor so it only goes off if the door is opened.

Cheapest option is a weatherproof switch like would be on a boat and you hide it in a fenderwell or possibly drill into the base of the door mirror and install it in that.  I've seen that done before also.

Just over 3/4".  A plate screws to a surface, then you attache the keypad and circuit to the plate.  Intended as a simple wall mount.  I can ship today if you tell me yes/no within about an hour.

I'll send you one as a toy, don't worry about the cost.  I ordered them from Korea for next to nothing, along with a shitload of professional NFC products for a security job I was doing.  Then did nothing with these.  The pro products wouldn't help you, but these standalone boxes are easy to use.  You can do card plus pin, just pin, or just card.  Programmable.  Good look on the Engrish, but really it's not that terrible.  I think it's a one second relay close then open, so good for door locks, garage doors, etc.

8 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

Well shit.

I guess I can get two new door locks with keys for $40.  

Probably should have considered doing it the right way in the first place, but everything for this truck is so damned expensive compared to my Chevy I never even checked until now.

...I was  asking myself why you were making it so hard. Swap out the ignition and have them all match.  ...new, not worn out.

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Ignition-Cylinder-LC6177-DL5886/dp/B01G0X6AMW/ref=asc_df_B01G0X6AMW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312462950315&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17616773766667895736&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019171&hvtargid=pla-570576858713&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=70635887228&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312462950315&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17616773766667895736&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019171&hvtargid=pla-570576858713

Part of the problem is that nobody seems to want to list anything for a 2008.  Everything lists for 1999 or something to 2007.  Lots of things are the same on the 2008, but I don't want to order stuff just to find out.    Not taken with Ford at this point.  I can't even find a decent parts fische for the thing yet.  I've been looking for a handle for the seatback recliner since I got it, and still haven't been able to verify a part number.

I trust your judgement, but it annoys me when I have to dig to find out where a place actually is.  Apparently Tascaparts is in Rhode Island, or at least their ordering facility is there.

Disappointing to see how many parts are simply no longer listed for that vehicle.  For instance, they don't list the door locks at all.

Bill, the set you listed is for up to 2007.  I found a tutorial online that shows 1...changing the ignition lock is ridiculously easy, and 2...it is different from the 2007.

So I may have to go with just changing the door locks.  I did order some slick little waterproof micro switches that look like a bolt or a trim piece instead of a button.  I'm going to see if I can fit them in the underside of the new mirror housings.  I have to pull the door down anyway to plug the power mirrors in, so I'll already have access to that area and can probe a bit to wire that up.

Are you sure it's the locks causing the difficulty and not linkage or something?  If it's in the locks it's probably a bad or worn out key and a locksmith may be able to fix you up.

I can make both locks work with some manipulation of the key....just like when the XX keyswitch gets old. They just don't want to turn unless the key is just right.  If the key is worn, copying it won't do much.

Mirrors are power and work just fine but are the smaller ones.  I'm going to a larger extendable power mirror for towing cuz Racer, right?  See you there?

2 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

Mirrors are power and work just fine but are the smaller ones.  I'm going to a larger extendable power mirror for towing cuz Racer, right?  See you there?

Good move.  I ordered a set for my HD right after I bought the enclosed car hauler.  In non-extended mode I can just barely see the sides to back it through the gate without having to get out and telescope them in.  Extended I have plenty of rear view.

5 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

I trust your judgement, but it annoys me when I have to dig to find out where a place actually is.  Apparently Tascaparts is in Rhode Island, or at least their ordering facility is there.

Not that it matters but Tasca is one of the oldest names in Ford performance history.  Bob Tasca still runs a NHRA funnycar.

F2.jpg.94abab4a187e49aa83a582770dcb335c.jpg

Rock Auto?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2008,f-350+super+duty,6.4l+v8+diesel+turbocharged,1440002,ignition,ignition+lock+cylinder,10041

When my truck was broken into in Memphis my local locksmith had to replace the door lock that had a screwdriver pounded into it. They keyed the new door tumbler to match the ignition key.  $135 all rolled up.