CBR1100XX.org Forum

R1 winter maintenance and minor upgrades.

tomek

The head is done, getting final wash in, well, dishwasher. Nothing major was done, just sharpened dividers and blended valve guides on intake side. Intakes and exhaust were kind of polished with equivalen of 600 finish. On exhaust side the idea is to eliminate or slow down carbon build up. Before someone points out need of much corser finish on intake walls, it was true for carb and street engines to enhance fuel evaporation. But that is race only, late generation fuel injection engine. If it is less then 70 deg I won't ride it.

Interestingly enough exhaust ports are smaller vs 2004-2008 r1 even though the cylinder bores are 2mm bigger. 

About 6 hrs of labor, should be good for about 2.65 hp gain.😁IMG_20200201_143646392.thumb.jpg.eed93ed84efd740b11420f1550d5cf74.jpg

IMG_20200201_143457729.jpg

IMG_20200201_143239581.jpg

Edited by tomek
  • Like 1

Tomek, you are either single, or have a very understanding wife/SO to be putting engine parts in the dishwasher.  Wish I could do that.  My wife gave me the stink-eye for putting an un-lubed bearing in the oven, so it would drop right on a rear differential.

She was gone for the most of the day. After head was washed I immediately loaded dishwasher with normal crap. On heavy duty cycle. Lol.

Anyway, it beats endless cleaning with brake parts, degreaser, etc. It came out really clean.

I use barbie for bearings.

Edited by tomek
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, jon haney said:

Tomek, you are either single, or have a very understanding wife/SO to be putting engine parts in the dishwasher.  Wish I could do that.  My wife gave me the stink-eye for putting an un-lubed bearing in the oven, so it would drop right on a rear differential.

The first time I worked on her bike, she asked about options for cleaning the parts.  I gave a few others, and she said, "People on the forums say the dishwasher is the best, why not just do that?"

I've also cleaned a large batch of .50 brass in the clothes washer.

I don't understand the issue with putting something dirty inside a cleaning machine.  

20 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

The first time I worked on her bike, she asked about options for cleaning the parts.  I gave a few others, and she said, "People on the forums say the dishwasher is the best, why not just do that?"

I've also cleaned a large batch of .50 brass in the clothes washer.

I don't understand the issue with putting something dirty inside a cleaning machine.  

My wife is not a gear head by any definition, so she believes something that used to be bathed in motor oil  is not to be put in something that cleans eating utensils.  I live with it. 

Last night I had to assure a neighbor's wife that the bowl covered in beeswax which I used to help her kid make a mold with glue and cardboard could indeed be washed and used again.  Sigh.  Simple physics.

Slow progress, but progress. Dropped head and checked cam timing. It has not moved since last time. I run them in 2 degree retarded position. In 2 deg advance there was too much drive upsetting punch around 11 k rpm, but it would fall on its face over 13 k. Now it is nice and flat, and pulls all the way well into 14 k plus.

horsepower in the can. maxima 530rr oil. Good for dyno proven 2-3 hp. Got deal on 5 gallons bucket.

IMG_20200205_194750100.jpg

IMG_20200205_190550246.jpg

We all know that`s slapper trolling, 5 years old transmitting from their mother`s basement behave like that. But it also could have been legit question. No, there was not plastic floating around the engine waiting to block oil pick up. 

However there where tale tale signs of cam chain on rather loose side. Manual tensioner. I`ve never had those issues on conventional inline 4s, but on cross-plane crank 4 cam lobes are not symmetrical. There are really strong pulses in cam drive and apparently chain has to be really tight. How tight ? I don`t know. Would have to ask Graves or Attack Racing.

Anyway, I waved surrender flag, mourned over 0.264 hp loss due to increased friction,  and reinstalled OEM tensioner.      

13 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Is there a chain deflection amount like on the Goldwing cam belts?

Probably not.  I've seen some belts that have a deflection measurement, others a twist measurement, and probably the most precise is a sound measurement like tuning a guitar string.    Since most bikes with a chain come with auto tensioners I doubt there would be a deflection spec from the manufacturer.