CBR1100XX.org Forum

Have you ever had a hose fail on a bike?

superhawk996

Another post lead me to wonder.  It seems like the hoses last forever on bikes and would like to know if you've ever had one fail.  Fuel, coolant, vacuum, whatever.

2 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

I had to do them on my Kawasaki.  Never on the XX...that I recall.

Which hoses and did they actually fail or were you just afraid they would?  If they did fail what was the failure?

17 minutes ago, fizzy said:

High pressure fuel line on a 2000XX. Weeping at the crimp on fitting. May have been exacerbated by me tilting the tank  too high during several services and stressing it out. 

Thanks for the detailed report.  Your guess of stressing it makes sense.  It coulda failed without that but from recollection they don't have any strain relief.

had the hose from thermostat to water pump fail on my 99 bb.luckily spotted it before it burst.a section of it was bulging as i revved the engine.replaced it with a hose from a datsun 120y till the new hose i ordered arrived from japan.bike was about 4 or 5 years old at the time.

high pressure fuel hose, early on at less then 50k miles

one of rad hoses around 100k, it strategically failed in front of Auto Zone somewhere in the west. We found something that was close enough. Replaced them all with oem later.

one or two vacuum lines, somewhere between 100k-150k miles.

Edited by tomek

2 hours ago, fizzy said:

High pressure fuel line on a 2000XX. Weeping at the crimp on fitting. May have been exacerbated by me tilting the tank  too high during several services and stressing it out. 

Same on my 99.  And I noticed it on the way to work one morning.  I pulled the tank at work and we rigged the shit out of it to get it to hold until I got home.  The crazy thing is the one on the drag bike, which has been pulled far, far more times and was cut to feed the wet nitrous system has never leaked.

6 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Do you remember which hoses failed on the bikes and what the failures were?

Cracked gas lines at the petcock and carbs. The bikes had history before me.

The sled I lit on fire in the middle of the lake. It backfired and set some leaves in the belly pan on fire. It melted the old lines. The new lines collapsed under vacuum. We had to redo them a second time.

2 hours ago, XXitanium said:

Cracked gas lines at the petcock and carbs. The bikes had history before me.

The sled I lit on fire in the middle of the lake. It backfired and set some leaves in the belly pan on fire. It melted the old lines. The new lines collapsed under vacuum. We had to redo them a second time.

I don't think that it counts if you set it on fire.  Or if you replace them with junk.😀   I put a vacuum gauge in my Mustang and the line it came with would collapse, like you, had to replace. 

13 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Which hoses and did they actually fail or were you just afraid they would?  If they did fail what was the failure?

Upper hose that went into the thermostat near the fill cap.  Not “failed” but a cloud of steam and mist was spritzing past the hose clamp.

Given the bike was prone to coolant pump failures and the resulting overheating, I suspect regular clamping/reclamping of the hose wore it out at the clamp.  It otherwise seemed sound, but I replaced all of them to be safe.

21 hours ago,  fizzy said: 

Same on my 99.  And I noticed it on the way to work one morning.  I pulled the tank at work and we rigged the shit out of it to get it to hold until I got home.  The crazy thing is the one on the drag bike, which has been pulled far, far more times and was cut to feed the wet nitrous system has never leaked.

I wonder if Honda was trying to compete with Suzuki after learning about the Hyabusa fires.  Interesting that both were early FI bikes, anyone know if that hose was changed on later bikes?

Edited by superhawk996

I forget to mention lower radiation hose on my 1999r1. 

It happened around 2002-2003, on the race track, Grattan in Michigan, right before Bus Stop, slowest corner there.

It "oiled" my rear tire so I promptly high sided. I got launched to the moon, landed head first and than on my hip. 

I was unbreakable back than, no injury other then bruised hip.

On cars the first failure point is usually the upper hose right where it connects to the engine, heat and other factors combine to degrade the hose right at the end of the nipple.  I assume it should be the same on bikes, but there's lots of shit that can attack a hose, plus the possibility of a manufacturing defect.  Electrical issues can fuck with hoses quite a bit.  The most extreme I've seen was an air hose on a semi that caught fire because of a bad engine ground, but minor electrical issues will just attack them more subtly.