CBR1100XX.org Forum

Inflation?

Zero Knievel

Looking to replace the rack and pinion on the Mazda because it's leaking more than before.  This was a replacement from Autozone with lifetime replacement.

In 2012,  I bought it for $130.  Now it's going from $199 for a remanufactured to $565 for a new one.  As the new one matches the brand name and part number, I'm a bit surprised.

15 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

If you are getting it replaced under warranty, it shouldn't cost you anything for the part, right?

I see you're new here.  This will result in a 17 paragraph explanation of how the Prius caught fire on the way to the parts store because the USB adapter from Aliexpress shorted out, the parts guy wouldn't take the charred part back, and possibly include the state of Mike's underwear and injuries sustained shitting himself at the price of the part.

12 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

If you are getting it replaced under warranty, it shouldn't cost you anything for the part, right?

You’d think, but I need to see which one it is.  Same basic number for each one.  I’m quite certain I didn’t buy a remanufacted one, but if it came with a lifetime warranty, I might have.

Your receipt or their system will tell which one you got and you'll get the same one as the replacement.  Do you really think that you'll get something other than what you bought?!?  As for the part number, I can't imagine there is any fucking way that they both have the same number.  If they did I can't imagine how in the hell would they be able to distinguish between the $200 part and the $600 part.

As far as new vs. reman parts, the reman is often better unless it's a new OEM part.  Both were probably assembled by monkeys, both probably have Chinese seals, but at least the reman has OEM hard parts where the new one is likely Chinesium.  Something like a steering rack is questionable since the insides of the casting could have some wear, but at least it's a high quality casting.

I use a local rebuilder for a lot of parts, they also sell new Chinese stuff.  The only thing I've asked them about as far as new vs. reman is CV axle assemblies.  He said they're so shitty that they can't be rebuilt where as OEMs can, and he's had a couple new ones come back exploded which never happens with OE unless seriously abused.

Chinese tools have definitely taken a leap towards quality lately, often being as good or better than 'high end' stuff, if that extends to other manufacturing we might see better parts.  The prices will go up too of course, just as they have with tools.

18 hours ago, SwampNut said:

I see you're new here.  This will result in a 17 paragraph explanation of how the Prius caught fire on the way to the parts store because the USB adapter from Aliexpress shorted out, the parts guy wouldn't take the charred part back, and possibly include the state of Mike's underwear and injuries sustained shitting himself at the price of the part.

It's already begun.  I thought it would be impossible for something so simple to become complicated.  I wonder what kind of fluid the new part will require.

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

Your receipt or their system will tell which one you got and you'll get the same one as the replacement.  Do you really think that you'll get something other than what you bought?!?  As for the part number, I can't imagine there is any fucking way that they both have the same number.  If they did I can't imagine how in the hell would they be able to distinguish between the $200 part and the $600 part.

That’s why I have to check.  The receipt doesn’t indicate remanufactured, and it may be a new item in the inventory.  If indeed I got a new R&P and it went up in cost that much....

13 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

If the receipt shows a core charge or you had to give them the old one it was most likely a rebuild.

Yeah, but even some new items have core charges so they can send the old one off to be remanufactured...as opposed to assessing an environmental impact fee for tossing the old one into a landfill.

8 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Yeah, but even some new items have core charges

Other than batteries I have never seen that with an auto parts store, and I buy a fair bit of stuff.  Some OEMs do it, the popular explanation is that they want to keep their parts out of circulation, but I don't know the actual reason.

21 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Z, maybe you should call A Zone and ask them?

Calling is a waste.  I’ll stop in Monday and show them the receipt.  More likely to get a solid answer.  Besides, I have to order the replacement shocks in person since online it only wants to met me ship to home (at an extra cost) rather than pick up in store.

3 hours ago, tomek said:

This is barely beginning. Just saying.  

Yup.  It shouldn't even have started, then should have been over quickly.  Carlos' prediction may well play out.

Mike, I call for parts all the damn time whether for new stuff or warrantee replacements.  Going there just to get an answer is fucking retarded dude.  You're going to have to take in the failed part or pay for the new one to leave with it, then return the failed one to get your money back.  And if they don't have the shocks you want when you go there you'll have to go back once they get them, VS calling and verifying stock and ordering them if they don't have them.  What's the vehicle and which shocks are you looking to put on it?

7 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Yup.  It shouldn't even have started, then should have been over quickly.  Carlos' prediction may well play out.

Mike, I call for parts all the damn time whether for new stuff or warrantee replacements.  Going there just to get an answer is fucking retarded dude.  You're going to have to take in the failed part or pay for the new one to leave with it, then return the failed one to get your money back.  And if they don't have the shocks you want when you go there you'll have to go back once they get them, VS calling and verifying stock and ordering them if they don't have them.  What's the vehicle and which shocks are you looking to put on it?

1.  For warrantied parts, you buy the replacement then get a refund when you bring back the old one.  Easy peasy.

2.  You never know who you get on the phone.  As I need to order the shocks in person as I didn’t get the option to pick up in store when ordering online, I might as well then.

3.  Nobody will know what to say on the issue of the R&P unit without seeing the receipt...maybe backtracking the item number from the year it was purchased.  Doing this over the phone can be problematic.

4.  I have to be in town anyhow most every day.

Edited by Zero Knievel

Well, got done with Autozone.

Ordered shocks and they will be sent to the store.  

The R&P was remanufactured.  All of that brand were remanufactured until recently when they started offering an option for a new one.  That the remanufactured is now a different label matters not as much of the Duralast line didn’t always come from the same manufacturer.