CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rusty Tanks

OMG

Thanks, that is interesting.  I used muriatic acid and nuts and bolts to clean a tank and it worked but I think I would prefer this method.  BTW, I ended up with the acid all over the tank and it didn't harm the paint at all.  It was a 84 1000 Interceptor tank.

I've heard that using a lower setting on the charger, like around 2a., works better than a higher setting.  Don't know if that's true.  I've seen smaller parts cleaned in a few hours and this guy did multiple 8-10 hour sessions and the tank was still not done.  Maybe it was the high setting, or maybe it was just because the ratio of rusty metal to anode area that made it so slow.

I used muriatic to clean out a pair of rusted marine exhaust manifolds from a boat that sat about 20 years.  Boat manifolds have a water jacket like an engine block to keep the exterior cool enough that they can't char stuff or start a fire.  These things were plugged up so badly that the engine would overheat, water exits the engine through the manifolds so cool water was unable to come into the engine.  When they were done the remaining paint looked about the same as when I started and the iron was darkened but none appeared to have been eaten by the acid, I think it only attacks organic stuff.

I was later told that I should have soaked them in baking soda to neutralize the acid because it would stay in the metal and slowly eat away at it forever.  It came from someone who appeared to know more about this stuff than me, but I don't buy it.  If I were doing it again, especially on a gas tank, I'd look into that or maybe just neutralize it to play it safe.

"Rust."  Fuck, something else to google and figure out WTF you people are on about.

When I did saltwater boat manifolds, there was almost nothing left after the acid treatment.  I guess some things can't be fixed.