CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fork Oil

cally4x4

The one that was on the ground was a Penske adjusted out pretty far.  The stock shocks I've shimmed didn't have the tire on the ground, but much closer than stock.

Changed the oils yesterday for 7.5 and removed the cartridge for cleaning (what a pain the arse that was) just got to re centre everything and torque it up today before going to work fingers crossed for a better ride 🤞🏻

My bike had a 6mm shim fitted when I got it and on the centre stand the rear tyre would touch the floor and fill like it was falling over in the bends. 

7 hours ago, cally4x4 said:

Changed the oils yesterday for 7.5 and removed the cartridge for cleaning (what a pain the arse that was) just got to re centre everything and torque it up today before going to work fingers crossed for a better ride 🤞🏻

My bike had a 6mm shim fitted when I got it and on the centre stand the rear tyre would touch the floor and fill like it was falling over in the bends. 

I think I ran about 4mm, maybe 5, and it was neutral.  How much your rear spring is cranked up and your weight will change the height when riding, but I had the same falling into turns experience with one high enough to touch when on the stand.  When I did mine I didn't have an official spacer, I think I stacked a couple washers that seemed about right and it worked.  I have a spacer in my pile of XX parts but don't know how thick it is.

Here is a picture of the 5mm ride height spacers that I sold. I supplied Jaws with them for most of Europe as well.
The Europeans played around with 3mm, 4mm, 5mm & 6mm spacers but decided that the 5mm was ideal for the Bird.
Many other Honda's used various sized spacers but the Bird seemed to be best fitted with a 5 mm.
I had them made on CNC machines where I worked and sold somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 of them over 8+ years.
I had them made up in batches of 100. The company I worked for manufactured aluminum car wash tunnel equipment so the

cost of the aluminum raw material was cheap and as an employee the labor was almost nothing.   

5mm-Spacer.jpg.1bde96fe86b91439f1298f5627f23c45.jpg

Things are not good after bolting and torquing everything up the bars were not straight so pulled the forks off the bike again the got a dial gauge one of them reads 0.40 mm runout while the other read just over 0.20mm I’m guessing if the tube is rotated the bars will point straight but then the wheel would still be out of line could explain why the bike likes to tip over 👎🏻

Limit is 0.2 mm. Wonder if triple tree is  twisted. 

You do pump fork up and down before torquing axle clamps and bottom triple tree ? 

8 minutes ago, tomek said:

Limit is 0.2 mm. Wonder if triple tree is  twisted. 

You do pump fork up and down before torquing axle clamps and bottom triple tree ? 

Yeah I follow the a how to from dellboys garage on youtube . I'm also thinking about the triple tree I could go and get some second hand parts or get mine fixed there is a firm just a few hours drive from me forks fixed from £80 triple trees from £60 if I remember correctly 

1 hour ago, tomek said:

If there is not visible wear on forks I would get them fixed. Used parts are often are hit or miss.

My forks other than the bend only have road salt damage nothing to bad just thinking this has been a problem for a while so could have worn bits out I cant see ill sleep on it and sort it out tomorrow lol