CBR1100XX.org Forum

Strange Sound from engine?

crj007

Hi All,

Im new here!  I have a 2005 Blackbird with 42k miles clocked. I have just noticed a strange noise coming from what seems to be the engine. The best way to describe it is like a rattle snake sound that comes in and out intermittently on tick over (its like a tinny rattle snake sound if that makes sense). I don't seem to notice it once the revs climb. I have attached a sound file if anyone would like to throw any light on the issue. You need to listen beyond the sound of the engine.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks

engine noise.mp3

Thanks a lot guys. Got the panels off and had a screwdriver against different parts of engine. Going off what I’m hearing everything is good and smooth inside. Are there any baffles in the exhaust manifold does anyone know? I have reset the cam chain tensioner and it’s only 4K miles old so I cant see it being that. The sound is quite a tinny rattlesnake sound. If all else fails I’ll probably have to take it to the local bike mechanic who is very good but knows how to charge!😳

There are a few perforated metal plates in the header, could maybe call them baffles.  I think there's one in each of the squared sections and another set where the two exit pipes join.  You could try tapping on it and/or do the screwdriver thing.  I believe your bike came with catalytic converters in the front part of the mufflers which could also rattle, but I'd expect them to sound like a deeper rattle than what a loose baffle would likely do.

if the cam chain tensioner is stuffed,resetting it won't help.if you take the 8mm bolt out of the end of the cct and insert a small screwdriver into it gently tighten it while running the engine and listen if the rattle stops 

The CCT is only 4K miles old and an automatic one. I have turned the adjuster clockwise to take the plunger away from the chain then pulled the screwdriver out and you can hear the tensioner clunk against the chain again resetting itself. If I hear this could it still be knackered?

Edited by crj007

My understanding is that when they crap out the spring still works but something allows it to back out under pressure instead of staying tight.  I assume that if you have the screwdriver in it with the engine running you'd feel if it's backing out and you could tighten it as poida said to see if the noise changes.  My buddy gave me one that was supposedly fucked, I couldn't tell there was anything wrong with it.  I assume one could run a longer screw into the end to bottom out and lock the 'adjustment' screw in place basically making it a manual tensioner, but don't know.

FYI, to tighten the tension, as Poida suggested, turn the screw counter-clockwise while the engine is idling, and listen for the same noise.

23 hours ago, crj007 said:

Thanks a lot guys. Got the panels off and had a screwdriver against different parts of engine. Going off what I’m hearing everything is good and smooth inside. Are there any baffles in the exhaust manifold does anyone know? I have reset the cam chain tensioner and it’s only 4K miles old so I cant see it being that. The sound is quite a tinny rattlesnake sound. If all else fails I’ll probably have to take it to the local bike mechanic who is very good but knows how to charge!😳

I doubt it's the exhaust system, but here's an inside look at the stock cans . . . Yeah, there are numerous baffles and a convoluted gas path, but the press-fits and welds are excellent and robust.

https://www.superblackbird.co.uk/blackbird/exhaust.htm

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, silverbird1100 said:

Was that an OEM?

Yep. Preemptive replacement of the one in the bike when I bought it. It failed in short order.