CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB '99-00, or ‘03 XX

27 minutes ago, Furbird said:

I would go nationwide and see what Uship comes back with for freight.  If you found an east coast bike on a deal and had to pay freight you'd still be the same money out of pocket.  Also, with as many of us as there are, somebody is likely to be within an acceptable distance to go check it out.  BTW, don't know if you've price a paint job lately but they ain't cheap, and Chinese plastics do not fit like OEM.  I have a set and I wouldn't recommend them to anybody.

I have all tools needed to paint. 😬

ok. Nationwide. Anyone in Boston or Philly?

It’s about $600 to get a bike from Denver to Tacoma. I can only imagine what a cross country journey would be. 

Steering damper?

MrCBX has two blackbirds they told me. I said you were looking for a black FI with analog speedo.

...Ohio. I didn't get clear descriptions.

https://www.mrcbx.com/

"We unfortunately only have the 2 blackbirds in our lineup a candy glory red and a cb1100r edition. We can keep an eye out for a black one for you. I believe they all had analog speedos the only different was in 01 they went to fuel injection. "

1 hour ago, nomadicdread said:

Interesting.  Thank you for the lead.  I'll give them a call tomorrow.  I didn't know a CB1100R was BB though...

I'm thinking that one might be a breakdown in communication.

Larry did live pretty close though, northeast Indiana. 

BlackbirdCB1100RD.jpg

Edited by XXitanium

1 hour ago, XXitanium said:

https://www.mrcbx.com/

"We unfortunately only have the 2 blackbirds in our lineup a candy glory red and a cb1100r edition. We can keep an eye out for a black one for you. I believe they all had analog speedos the only different was in 01 they went to fuel injection. "

OMG, if that is a direct quote as indicated, they definitely know nothing about our birds.

Sent out a few emails last night...almost feeling like some Hail Mary's are getting passed because I'm kind of getting tired of shopping.

So last night I sat down and did some mathing, comparing what I know is on the table and that I've seriously considered. 

There's a '00 model with 43k miles about 45 minutes away.  The owner is asking $4,500 but said he would come down to $4,000 after quite nicely turning down my $2500 offer.  $4,0000 is a bit steep to me and it's been on my mind for the past week. I read over the 1 year old posting again last night. He states that the Fi light is flickering, it needs a new rear shock, and there's some scuffs from loading/unloading luggage.  Too me, the price should come down some more. Shocks are $300+ dollars, can be done at home, and the wire loom, if it can be found is over $300 new or, I could fix it myself.  From what I've read, it's well within my abilities to fix it. I can cut, strip, solder, heat shrink just fine. Scuffs....depends on the scuffs. Realistically I'd be a more interested party at $3200.  Add 10.5% tax. Have the woman run me up to get it, ride it home, be done.  I think the wire loom is a good negotiating point because if it's flickering now, it HAS to be fixed or risk having the bike shut off sometimes while you're riding. And if I'm REALLY stuck on black, paint it.  I'm awaiting a reply from the seller with more images.

The other two in SoCal at full asking price will require $400 in fuel and 4 days round-trip, plus 10.5% tax. Just minimum costs, not factoring in if I want to stay over night at a hotel and eating out. I'd likely just take naps in the truck instead of staying over night anywhere. Time off work is not even a factor. I'm on salary. I get mine, they get there's.

'99 $3,000 (firm) asking price with 54,000 miles, full Givi set of luggage (which I'd likely sell),  raised clip-ons, touring windscreen some other stuffs. I think this bike has some corrosion going on based on the images. Wheel would have to be refinished.

'99 $3,800 (flexible) asking price with 22,000 miles, raised clip-ons.  I've requested more detailed images and a cold start video.

The $3,000 bike would be the lowest cost to acquire, followed by the '00 near me.  However, I really do like 22k miles vs 54k or 43k.

99 or 00 you're going to have to do the loom regardless.  If you're not a member here or the other bird site that's UK based, then 99% chance it hasn't been done.  Replacing the harness will NOT fix the issue.  BTW,  there's a positive connector too that rarely has issues but Furbird did and I had to fix it as well.  Especially if the bike was left to the elements which this one was.

Mileage shouldn't even be a consideration.  You kill a bird, you've done something.  They die because they get wadded up, not because of engine problems.

Buy a used shock if need be.  I'm at over 50k on mine and it's fine.  And that's drag racing it for well over 1,000 passes.  Never blown a fork seal either even with the front strapped down to control wheelies.  Which means it's at max pressure already and then landing 15-20 times a night.

About the only thing you'll do to these is the loom fix once, the cam chain tensioner once, steering head bearings once (tapered please and thank you), and depending on how hard you are on them, front wheel bearings.  Outside of that it's standard maintenance (plugs, filters, brake pads, chains, tires).

3 hours ago, Furbird said:

99 or 00 you're going to have to do the loom regardless.  If you're not a member here or the other bird site that's UK based, then 99% chance it hasn't been done.  Replacing the harness will NOT fix the issue.  BTW,  there's a positive connector too that rarely has issues but Furbird did and I had to fix it as well.  Especially if the bike was left to the elements which this one was.

Mileage shouldn't even be a consideration.  You kill a bird, you've done something.  They die because they get wadded up, not because of engine problems.

Buy a used shock if need be.  I'm at over 50k on mine and it's fine.  And that's drag racing it for well over 1,000 passes.  Never blown a fork seal either even with the front strapped down to control wheelies.  Which means it's at max pressure already and then landing 15-20 times a night.

About the only thing you'll do to these is the loom fix once, the cam chain tensioner once, steering head bearings once (tapered please and thank you), and depending on how hard you are on them, front wheel bearings.  Outside of that it's standard maintenance (plugs, filters, brake pads, chains, tires).

I get what you're saying. I don't think I'll ever not take mileage into consideration though.   I'm with you on all other aspects.

30 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

I'd pick that one.

Yes, I'm leaning toward that. Just need to hear from the seller.

The local Bird is now off the market, says the seller.  I raised my offer expecting him to counter but, he wasn't willing to come off his $4k price even though it needs work.

The one near me seems like the best deal so far, especially after selling the luggage.

As for tax, I always lie.  As long as the seller is cool with it, and they almost always are, there is no way for DMV to know any different.  I rarely state more than $100 and have done several for $1.

Lodging: There's a good bed in the spare room if you want one good sleep before the return.

5 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

The one near me seems like the best deal so far, especially after selling the luggage.

As for tax, I always lie.  As long as the seller is cool with it, and they almost always are, there is no way for DMV to know any different.  I rarely state more than $100 and have done several for $1.

Lodging: There's a good bed in the spare room if you want one good sleep before the return.

Yeah it does seem like it. Without better images or getting eyes on it, I can't really call it.  I'm fairly certain there's easily visible corrosion occurring as it would in normal living a life on or near the coast. However, I'd still like to know for sure and make a decision.  I have plenty of elbow grease but, somethings aren't worth the time.

Thank you.

The DOL here is not playing around. They pull MSRP from their own source. A person can also present other published values such as KBB or NADA. Also, a repair estimate from licensed mechanic or an appraisal from a dealer can be used to establish taxable value if MSRP isn't published in their source or if you need to fight there claimed value.

Now if these last two dudes would get back with me I could get this wrapped up one way or the other.