CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB '99-00, or ‘03 XX

On 1/21/2020 at 4:59 PM, tomek said:

Nobody gives fuck about loud exhaust in The Land of Lincoln. 

Bullshit. Last week the news was reporting proposed legislation for $5000 dollar exhaust violation fines.

Wheelies cost you $1000.00 now.

The saga continues....

Seller is slow to respond to calls and texts. Bike is not located where the post says it is. It's in a different city 50+ miles away in storage.  Combining information gathered from all the images I've seen, I locate the storage facility thanks to Google Maps satellite view and 3D, and have a decent idea of which bay it's in.  Perhaps there's a bit too much information available on the web.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it's a scam, but the seller is a bit weird.  From what I can tell he lives in Orange County, the location he used on the ad, and the bike lives in a storage facility in City of Perris, 80ish miles apart.  In the storage room behind the bike is a Maserati Khamsin so I don't think he's a standard crackhead, but a rich sophisticated crackhead.

• Upvote 1

Aren't people amazing?

I spent two weeks trying to pry information out of a Craigslist guy about a truck I wanted. He would respond to 1 out of 3 messages, and only answer one out of many questions. I figured I would have to just drive 200 miles to see the truck and get my questions answered when he suddenly started sending the info I wanted. I went to the bank, got the money, and messaged him that I'd be down the next day to look at the truck. He messaged back immediately "just sold it."

<Sigh>

People really are amazing. 

A 2000 has come to the market in Palm Springs and I’m awaiting a reply from the seller. 

I also got a online look at a 2003 in Oregon that has been posted for six months in multiple places. The seller is still active. In one listing it’s $3750. The other $3500. I sent a message asking if he’ll take $2900. We shall see. 

Facebook Marketplace is far worse.  The only person that I've talked to from Craigslist ended up buying the item he wanted.  Then bought another item the very next weekend after he got paid again.  Out of literally hundreds of replies from Facebook, I've had 4 people actually schedule a meetup and all 4 bought the item instantly.  Marketplace is now what Craigslist used to be, except Facebook never removes the ad, so you could be asking about a product that sold a year ago that the seller never took down.

Crackheads/flakes, whether on the buying or selling side, are found at all the sources.  I mostly use CL, but have dealt with a few from Facebook and OfferUp.

My first Bird took a few weeks, much like Joe's truck ordeal.  Most messages ignored, and when he did respond he would address no more than one of three or four questions.  Sometimes he gave what appeared to be an answer to something I hadn't asked.  I told him I had my truck, ramps, and cash ready to go, just give me your address so I can give you money, nothing.  Days after I'd given up he calls me out of the blue and says he's home if I want to come by right now, after I'd repeatedly told him he was about 2 hours away from me.  We finally set up a time and nobody was home, but they did arrive not terribly far behind.  The supposedly perfect running bike was running like shit so I made a lower offer, he refused, I left.  Instead of hopping on the freeway I stopped at a gas station to get a soda and take the call.  As I was paying for the soda he called back and tried negotiating.  I'm over it, I'm about a block from the freeway onramp, you have about 15 seconds to accept $1500......ok.

"I have owned this motorcycle since 2002. It has always been in continuous use.
It is the first year with fuel Injection. If you want a Blackbird, make sure you get one with FI.
I just returned from two 3 day trips on this bike. The motorcycle has always performed flawlessly.
It includes a full set of Givi luggage and Mono-rack luggage mounts. These were over $1000 alone.
It has two stage heated grips, but the $5 switch should be replaced.
The motorcycle comes with a Zero Gravity windscreen and Corbin leather seat (another $600 in upgrades).
Also it has Heli bar risers for a more comfortable riding position,
I don't think a better sport touring motorcycle has ever been made.
It has 162 horsepower but it can be docile around town. It has twin counter balancers for a smooth, vibration free ride. And a knock sensor so it can run on 87 octane gas.
I am not riding the bike as much as I used to so I thought I should sell it. But I am not going to give it away either. I have already turned down $3100 for the bike but now that it is in the middle of winter, there is not as much demand for bikes. If you buy the bike and don't like it, you can surely sell it for more come spring time.
But if you are like me, you might keep it for 17 years like I did."

it's his until he sells it. It looks like there are at least some cosmetic mods done.

00X0X_b3Y3nFh3Mis_600x450.jpg

01212_3jKFN9vhDNP_600x450.jpg

00V0V_7CG2bwgk6HB_600x450.jpg

2 hours ago, XXitanium said:

"I have owned this motorcycle since 2002. It has always been in continuous use.
It is the first year with fuel Injection. If you want a Blackbird, make sure you get one with FI.
I just returned from two 3 day trips on this bike. The motorcycle has always performed flawlessly.
It includes a full set of Givi luggage and Mono-rack luggage mounts. These were over $1000 alone.
It has two stage heated grips, but the $5 switch should be replaced.
The motorcycle comes with a Zero Gravity windscreen and Corbin leather seat (another $600 in upgrades).
Also it has Heli bar risers for a more comfortable riding position,
I don't think a better sport touring motorcycle has ever been made.
It has 162 horsepower "at the crank,"   but it can be docile around town although was never designed for around town riding and tends to run hot in stop and go traffic. It has twin counter balancers for a smooth, vibration free ride. And a knock sensor so it can run on 87 octane gas.
I am not riding the bike as much as I used to so I thought I should sell it. But I am not going to give it away either. I have already turned down $3100 for the bike but now that it is in the middle of winter, there is not as much demand for bikes. If you buy the bike and don't like it, you can surely sell it for more come spring time.
But if you are like me, you might keep it for 17 years like I did."

Edited by John01XX

Yes, I definitely know what I'm looking for and that's largely why I don't have one yet.  There's XXs around, at least three within 45 minutes to 3 hours away but, they are either asking more than I want to pay or they are pre '99.  I would seriously consider a more recent year in black if I knew without any doubt that I could change the instrument cluster and get the odometer corrected. Heck, there's a '00 an hour north of me. Seller has had it posted for year for $4500 and says to me he's willing to come down to $4000. However, that price is too high.  He's placing a premium on color which really doesn't do or mean anything to me. Paint is readily available.

I'm sure we've all had less than stellar experiences with sellers. That's an aspect of the deal that I take into account.  Even if the seller is actually selling an item they own, I'm leery to give thousands of dollars to a stranger that I don't feel is 100% truthful and that is actually responding and actively trying to sell.  It's their item to do as they please and I'm sure they don't want their time wasted with tire kickers. I know that I feel the same way when I'm selling an item of any kind.

I've got Craigslist searches setup for all of WA, OR, CA, ID, MT, UT, NV, CO.  Pretty much anywhere I can get to withing two days of driving. Or one day of hard driving. FB marketplace takes a bit more time to search through but, I'm still actively searching it.

I primarily work from home but, I'll be in SD in a couple months. Until then, have truck, will travel for the right deal.

I would go nationwide and see what Uship comes back with for freight.  If you found an east coast bike on a deal and had to pay freight you'd still be the same money out of pocket.  Also, with as many of us as there are, somebody is likely to be within an acceptable distance to go check it out.  BTW, don't know if you've price a paint job lately but they ain't cheap, and Chinese plastics do not fit like OEM.  I have a set and I wouldn't recommend them to anybody.