CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB '99-00, or ‘03 XX

Finding them on CL is a hassle.  cbr1100xx is different than Cbr 1100 xx.  Then there's blackbird, or black bird, the second will bring up a bunch of other shit.  There's been a few times I found one, then couldn't find it again because I forgot what I'd used for a search term.

It appears to be at the far end of Orange County, but still much closer to me than the other one was which is a bonus.  It's a big bonus that he's had it for the vast majority of its life.  And if you don't want the luggage I might be interested.

On top of all that..he has it listed in the parts section. I sent him a email last night and await a response.  Those wheels and extra decals are killing me.  Luggage isn't the most flattering but...I don't know.  It's definitely looking like a desirable setup.

I was using an app last night to search all the areas with saved keyword combinations and came a across a OEM windshield for free in SF. I went to click it and the app crashed. Now I haven't been able to find it.  

2 hours ago, nomadicdread said:

On top of all that..he has it listed in the parts section.

Better chance it'll be around for a while.  I rarely click on the section I want to search, unless there are too many hits on my search words and I want to narrow it down.  Some people start by clicking the section, then start searching, and miss out on misclassified deals.

CL recently started charging for car ads so I see several cars in parts or other sections where it's still free.  I don't think they're doing it with bikes, but maybe.

That bike says "The Flying Dutchman" on it, wonder if that's a member or former one, as that sounds familiar.  As far as the stickers go, nothing an exacto knife and some time won't remove.  Wheels could easily be painted back black.  Why you want stock exhaust I have no clue, but you do you.  That was the first thing I took off my 99 when I bought it new and put a full system on it.  Changed the oil and the exhaust on the trailer after initial break-in.

I like the stock exhaust and can't say that I've ever seen aftermarket on a XX that I liked the look of better.  And, I'm not into single sided exhaust unless it's on a single sided swingarm.

Yes, I don't think I'd ride too long with those red wheels. I've got a blast cabinet, HVLP, spray booth and an oven 😀.  Business has been slow since July but, I refinish firearms from time to time. 

I hear that decals come off easily with a little heat and I've got a heat gun. 

Edited by nomadicdread
spam bots

4 hours ago, nomadicdread said:

I like the stock exhaust and can't say that I've ever seen aftermarket on a XX that I liked the look of better.  And, I'm not into single sided exhaust unless it's on a single sided swingarm.

Yes, I don't think I'd ride too long with those red wheels. I've got a blast cabinet, HVLP, spray booth and an oven 😀.  Business has been slow since July but, I refinish firearms from time to time. https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

I hear that decals come off easily with a little heat and I've got a heat gun. 

Dual slip-ons still saves a ton of weight (those stock mufflers are HEAVY) but a full system is so much lighter.  Function before style, that's why we don't ride Harleys (well, most of us haven't gone to the dark side!)

You can remove decals with heat, but I personally just catch an edge and pull them off manually.  Residual glue can be cleaned up with WD40 and a terry cloth with no paint damage.

Heat is usually much more effective and much safer than scraping and cleaning.  With a little patience the sticker can come off in one piece with the glue attached leaving only a trace of stuff to clean.

I'm with nomad on the stock exhaust, mostly.  I like a little growl, really like the extra power, but also like the stealthiness of stock.  And I think stock cans look pretty good.  I had a single Yosh for a while, super light, great power boost, but I didn't like the look or sound as much as dual.  Now I have Two Brothers CF slip-ons and they're nice, but I might put some stock cans on to see if they still look right with all the other farkles the bike has.

Up here in WA the law is that any aftermarket exhaust can't be louder than OEM.  Whatever man...but still. I like the stock exhaust.  There's a set of stock mufflers in the market place up here. I might get those if they are still around when I finally get an XX, and try out some other colors on them.

Our law is more strict.  The exhaust doesn't have to match stock, but is limited to a certain decibel level, probably not much over stock.  Plus, and here's the real kicker, it has to have a stamp/tag indicating that it's approved for road use in California. Before they added the stamp requirement if a cop didn't have a decibel reading then it 'should' be an easy fight in court.  In my experiences judges tend to side with a cop's word over the defendant's, but if you can whip out the law then they're supposed to follow it.  Being that traffic court follows civil law they don't actually have to prove a fuck all so it's basically up to the judge's whim....I mean judgement.

Your law implies that you can't change it from stock, but goes on to state what the decibel limit is and it's way higher than stock.  They throw a wrench in the works by saying that the exhaust can be no louder than stock for that vehicle, but since they probably don't have that number they couldn't prove it.  Generally speaking, in most municipalities, if it's not crazy loud and you're not doing other shit they won't fuck with you.  I used to have many modded exhausts and never got fucked with that I recall.  I was cited for it once, but it initiated over a burnout that he couldn't prove was me so he just hit me with the noise violation.  I got off by demanding a decibel reading at the time of the citation and immediately offering to let the judge go to the parking lot to hear it himself, he just dismissed it.

Cops vs. pipes: My Superhawk was pretty loud.  It didn't have the shitty ear sting of a Harley with loud pipes, but it was pretty damn audible.  A very deep thump that set off car alarms cruising at neighborhood low speeds. So I pull into AM/PM by my house and there's a cop inside and his partner in the car a few spaces from me.  When I came out there were a few more, all CHP including one on a bike.  CHP is known to be revenue generators, especially those on bikes.  They were all BSing so I figured I'd just roll out really nicely to limit noise and they would ignore me, nope.  Before I fired it up one of the cops had walked over and said "that sounds pretty mean"....uh oh, he's the one that was inside when I rolled up, at idle, and cut the ignition as I coasted into a spot.  The rest of them are coming over as he asks me to fire it up, I'm fucked...or maybe he's cool cuz he's acting like an enthusiast...but he's wearing the ticket giver's uniform, and so are his buddies who've now half surrounded me.  So I fire it and let it idle.  "Give it a rev", so I blip it a little.  "Naw man, rev it", so I crack it a bit higher, just a blip to around 4K.  "Come on man, we know it has more than that".  At that point I'm like fuck it and go WOT to the limiter.  The cop behind the bike was holding some papers that went flying as he cringed and jumped to the side, Jardine high mounts aimed about center mass to him.  I heard "holy shit" amongst other stuff.  For a nano second I wondered if I should put my hands up or just go ahead and prone out into the felony dog treat position.  Then..........Damn! that's bad ass!  Thanks man, be safe and try to keep her on two wheels, chucking "if that's even possible".  Which was difficult because she just loved to wheelie....just ask Carlos.  They walked off smiling and continuing to talk about it.  Had that started with a wheelie through an intersection while flipping them the bird they mighta added on an exhaust violation.

While I love to hear a nice exhaust, and like the sound of my current Two Brothers, I like the stealthy stock Bird.  It's not as fast with stock cans but I feel safer opening it up knowing that I'm not announcing it to the world.

Good story, Oscar.  A friend of mine (Lud) used to have an 89 GSXR 750 with a Bassani pipe on it and no baffle.  Loud as hell.  We were at one of the local street racing roads one afternoon, just chilling (at that exact moment anyway), and four cop cars rolled in.  Two from each end of the road.  Wanted to see DL's and proof of insurance from everybody.  We were all covered, so they started looking at exhausts.  One guy got a pass for a fairly quiet Yosh system.  However, Lud knew he was fucked.  When the cop asked him to fire it up, he just pinned the throttle.  Took every fiber of my being not to fall on the ground laughing.  The cop almost hurt himself slapping his hands over his ears.  Even he was laughing a little at the obvious display of honesty.  Yes, Lud got a ticket, but pretty sure he framed it.

Edited by jon haney

Meanwhile in Alabama, we have KZ1000's riding around with Vance and Hines Sidewinders with no baffle.  The Furbird (race bike) has a D&D full system with their exhaust from hell or whatever they called it which is a straight pipe.  It is ungodly loud but at the track if you can't see me coming, you can damn sure hear me!

On 1/20/2020 at 9:48 PM, nomadicdread said:

Up here in WA the law is that any aftermarket exhaust can't be louder than OEM.  Whatever man...but still. I like the stock exhaust.  There's a set of stock mufflers in the market place up here. I might get those if they are still around when I finally get an XX, and try out some other colors on them.

I think I have two or three sets of OEM exhaust cans in my attic, let me know if you land a bird with after market pipes needing replaced. 

20 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Usually not much ground clearance on those for the street.

If the bike itself hasn't been lowered much, they're not too bad.  Just have to watch the right turns.  Of course, anyone running a sidewinder on the street is not worried about cornering clearance.

My KZ was so low it didn't even have a kickstand, you just leaned it slightly to the right and it sat on the header.  The sucky part of that was the 3 closest tracks were all right turn exit roads so it made for some wide radius and very slow turn-offs on the big end.  But we all had them so everybody was in the same boat.  It's funny when a slingshot dragster has a tighter turning radius than a 7 foot long motorcycle.

If the seller would call me back we might be able to get that bird flying north.  I won't bug him unless nomad wants me to, not wanting to unnecessarily ruffle any feathers.

Edited by superhawk996