CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB '99-00, or ‘03 XX

7 hours ago, nomadicdread said:

Out all the searching and finding I've done tonight for aftermarket plastics These folks seem the most legit. 

https://www.absfairings.com/

I bookmarked that.  Sounds like a U.S. made product.  Click on "about us" at the bottom of the page, it gives some good info.

Yeah I liked that they had to say as I emailed with them.  They sent me this link to show their durability. I don't know if it's good or bad that it flexes like that. https://www.instagram.com/p/BYEdGZhlYOU/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Then they sent me this link too.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbHBckqfMLs

It seems like a decent option. I just don't think I really want to commit to a project after buying. I'm still kicking it around though.

A seller in the Boston area has one and sent me a couple videos today.  It was looking fine and then he pointed out a CRACK in the upper cowl.  A real bummer.  45k miles and the price is nice though and I put out for a bid on UShip  for it three days ago but, no one bid on it.

I wonder if cracked plastics is just to be expected on 21 year old machines that have 30,000+ miles on them.

I even talked to ColorRite. They said a 1qt would do the whole bike, plus clear coat.  I used to think Cerakote was expensive at $95/qt. However, ColorRite color is $199/qt.  I'm thinking that if I went the route of new plastics, then I would have all new plastics and paint to last another 20 years.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, nomadicdread said:

I wonder if cracked plastics is just to be expected on 21 year old machines that have 30,000+ miles on them.

Not really, but the chances obviously increase with age and miles.  I don't think these ever crack without some kind of mishap, but even without a drop you could crack something by putting enough pressure on it in the wrong way.  My first '97, guessing 6-7 years ago, had 50k and no cracks that I recall despite clear evidence of low speed drops.  Or if it did have any small cracks I might have dismissed them as having been caused by the drops.  The paint was still nice, other than where it was scratched from dropping.  Last time I saw it it had over 60k and no cracks that I know of.  My current '97 has 31k, no cracks that I know of, and the paint still looks good.  The '01 I had had been crashed, repaired, and fully repainted and had more hidden damage than I knew about 'till Carlos took it apart.  I don't think any of the non-crash damaged parts were cracked, but since it had a full make-over I'm not sure.

The one I looked at for you makes me think it fell over because of the multiple cracks on one side, but there's no other evidence of a drop.  It could have fallen on grass or some other soft surface perhaps.  Or maybe they cracked at different times from different causes.  I've seen people crack fairings when they take them off to fix stuff and force them too much.

14 hours ago, nomadicdread said:

I'm thinking that if I went the route of new plastics, then I would have all new plastics and paint to last another 20 years.

It is nice to think that these machines will still be on the road in 20 years. By then we will all be riding jet packs anyway.

9 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I've seen people crack fairings when they take them off to fix stuff and force them too much.

I've seen the same. Also, a bi-product of over tightening is cracking, especially with the tail fairing. I once severely cracked a Samurai TC by over tightening the bolts into the aluminum housing. If tight is good, tighter is better, especially after splitting the case to do gears and a seals. Fucking idiot I was. Might have been an abundance of beers involved.

On 1/28/2020 at 7:59 PM, nomadicdread said:

I get what you're saying. I don't think I'll ever not take mileage into consideration though. 

You should rethink your position. I have a ‘99 with 84k and bought Zero’s with what? 97-98K on it? Promptly put new tires on it, have ridden maybe 8,000 miles with 0 (zero) shit done to it. That is AFTER all the dumb shit he did to it. (Sorry, Mike. Prove me wrong)

I am about the most worthless mechanic on this board and can’t fix shit the first time around. The bird is bullet-proof.

I talked with a a couple friends about painting to make sure I'm not crazy. One paints vehicles for a living. The other is a collector and does his own restorations.  So I'm felling better about possibly painting plastics myself but, just in case I don't want to I'm checking with shop in my area that does excellent work.

I'm still wondering what's got the other seller occupied. His posts are still up in two different market places.

One seller went MIA after telling me he'd send more pics and video. I let it slide for a week and hit him up again, he responded and apologized because he was out of town in another state with his mother who was in the hospital. He promised to get pics today, so hopefully he did and hopefully he'll send them tomorrow. Or who knows, maybe his mother isn't doing well or worse and he's focused on that.

I just wonder.....the previous Bird I owned was bought from seller who's father had just died. We had an appointed time for me to check the bike out and he called to cancel because his father just died. That pushed things back by a week.

11 hours ago, XXitanium said:

I have a feeling that you are a chunck younger than most of our current active members.

My dad passed in '96. Mom is 84 now...

There is probably much of that going on for origional owners - along with aging knees etc on our own parts.

I'm getting close to 40.

1 hour ago, CBR-RR-XX-CESS said:

The perfect age! 40 to 58, now 65 was my best riding years.I envy you.

I'm trying to catch up (financially) with the...wiser crowd.  Dad got laid off in 2009 and was bummed for a couple days having spent 33 years of his life with Sears having started out loading trucks in a warehouse. To make a long story short, he never returned to the workforce and has been happily living out his retirement years.  He worked full time and had multiple real estate investments for 30+ years and I never had a want or need that wasn't fulfilled.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I never did hear from seller over the weekend as I expected to. Even texted him last night. I hope he and his mother are OK.

I heard from another Bird owner in NM that contacted me from one of my many posts around the internet. He's asking $6500 firm for his '99 with 22,000 miles. Too much for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is the only place that gets me. I've  posted to more than handful of forums and FB groups that I am looking for a '99 etc etc. I keep getting these responses about their '97, '98, '03 and I'm thinking...ARE YOU RETARDED? What can't you understand about '99 or possibly a '00????????????????????????????? WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION, NUMB NUTS?

On 1/17/2020 at 10:09 PM, superhawk996 said:

85-ish miles.

If you think it's a good bike I'm not opposed to going down there and raping inspecting it for you.  I would want direct contact info for the seller to schedule it so it all goes smoothly.  You don't know me, but I do lots of pre-purchase inspections as part of my job.  As with anything there is no way to guarantee that something's perfect, but I weed out a lot of stuff people miss so I feel pretty confident in saying that if it passes my inspection it's good.  I haven't had a single one that went wrong, and I weed out the majority of the crappy deals just from a phone conversation.

He is the only guy wrenching on my rides.

Had an interesting exchange with fellow on a XX FB group.  His replies to my post about being in search of a '99 were full of comments about people pricing their Birds to low and lowering the overall value of them and how he'd never sell his '97 with 25k miles for less than NADA value of $5,400.  He also went on to say that when shopping for one, mileage shouldn't be a consideration.  I commented that I believe NADA pricing to be irrelevant when the real value is what ever the seller and buyer agree upon.  I then listed a few Birds that I've seen on the national market, their condition, asking price,  how long they have been on the market, and what sellers have relayed their bottom line to be on the item.  All of them are what I considered to be inflated pricing but, he didn't truly agree with my examples.

When I see carbed and Fi models for sale for over $3,000 and over $4,000 and not selling for months, that says to that me their pricing is inflated.