CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB '99-00, or ‘03 XX

1 hour ago, nomadicdread said:

Report from her class.

I rode over and parked in the shadows to see her standing and everyone else riding.  Break time came and she spotted me. She told me that she was having fun but, didn't understand how she was supposed to coordinate her hands and feet. I had told her yesterday that I would give her a stationary-no motoring lesson on that if she wanted but, she didn't take me up on it.  Well not understanding how, caused her to get into a situation and down the bike went. She said most of the impact was on her knee but, she's up and doing chores so I think she likely had a 5 mph or less fall. After that she didn't want to get back on the bike and she finished out the day watching everyone else.  

I gave her a good look over and listened to what she had to say about the day. She didn't land on her hands, or head, and all her gear looks just like it did before she went to the course. I think she's physically fine. "I have a new respect for your motorcycling and will always be your passenger. I'm not scared to ride on the back, I don't know if riding in front right for me.", she said.  At this point I'm just going to be a support and if she wants to continue and perhaps take some private lessons, I'll be around to support.

After a few questions about the instructor and the bike she was on I got to thinking....the Intruder she was on was not right for her and was a piece of garbage to even learn on.  The instructor drove his car to the class, didn't provide any demonstrations for the class and commented that the bike she was on wasn't in good condition. That's three strikes in my book.  She's not much on upper body strength, so if she's going to continue this, I'd like to find something inexpensive for her that's got less rake and still suitable for her...while still being able to take a beating without anyone feeling bad about it. However, I think she won't pursue it much more.

Too bad about the spill and it's cool that your are so supportive.  I wouldn't want my wife to ride her own ride because I would spend the whole time worrying about her.  Back in the day the wife and I were each in our own cars and were playing down a curvy road.  I kept wicking it up until I looked into my mirror seeing her understeering right across the road.  She made it but I learned my lessen.  Your woman will look good on the back of that BMW.

12 hours ago, TOXXIC said:

No pics of the Chicken Hawk? I had two of the Honda (Ducati wannabe) Ducs. Both mine were red 1998s.

Mine was also red and pretty sure it was a '98 as well.  It was probably before I had a digital camera, Carlos is more likely to have photos of it.  I just remembered there's a couple shots from the '02 bash.  I'll dig in a bit.

13 hours ago, nomadicdread said:

Report from her class.

I rode over and parked in the shadows to see her standing and everyone else riding.  Break time came and she spotted me. She told me that she was having fun but, didn't understand how she was supposed to coordinate her hands and feet. I had told her yesterday that I would give her a stationary-no motoring lesson on that if she wanted but, she didn't take me up on it.  Well not understanding how, caused her to get into a situation and down the bike went. She said most of the impact was on her knee but, she's up and doing chores so I think she likely had a 5 mph or less fall. After that she didn't want to get back on the bike and she finished out the day watching everyone else.  

I gave her a good look over and listened to what she had to say about the day. She didn't land on her hands, or head, and all her gear looks just like it did before she went to the course. I think she's physically fine. "I have a new respect for your motorcycling and will always be your passenger. I'm not scared to ride on the back, I don't know if riding in front right for me.", she said.  At this point I'm just going to be a support and if she wants to continue and perhaps take some private lessons, I'll be around to support.

After a few questions about the instructor and the bike she was on I got to thinking....the Intruder she was on was not right for her and was a piece of garbage to even learn on.  The instructor drove his car to the class, didn't provide any demonstrations for the class and commented that the bike she was on wasn't in good condition. That's three strikes in my book.  She's not much on upper body strength, so if she's going to continue this, I'd like to find something inexpensive for her that's got less rake and still suitable for her...while still being able to take a beating without anyone feeling bad about it. However, I think she won't pursue it much more.

I started my wife on a CRF100 and sent her to dirt bike school.  Perfect learner bike, light, easy to maneuver and pick up.. No problem flat footing on her 5’ 1” frame.  The instructor was great and the class was full of people that had never ridden before.  He taught her how to use a clutch ( something I had failed at ) and to coordinate the hands and feet.   She loved it but never really got past fixating on the front tire on anything but a fire road.  After one hilariously spectacular 10 MPH high side she told me she loved that I was patient and had helped her learn to ride, but she’d rather be on the back.....or play golf😂.  

Report from her class.

I totally missed this 'till Blackhawk quoted you.  Maybe I saw it just enough for it to hit my subconscious because for no explicable reason when I woke up this morning I thought about taking Ashley to a riding class.

Anyway, if your girl wanted something to practice with there's plenty of small bikes you can buy pre-scratched on the cheap.  She could stick to low traffic streets near home, if you have that, 'till her confidence and ability picks or, or 'till she decides against it.  Either way, you gave her the opportunity to taste it safely and support her, that's very cool.

I taught two GFs and I did it the wrong way.  It was early on in my riding, riding was natural to me and I hadn't learned enough to teach it.  I also didn't have a good practice bike, FZ600 then a VF1000R.  First girl I taught to ride picked it up pretty well, being tall & athletic helped and being a horse rider may have also.  Minutes later she proudly asked her dad to watch her go up and down their street.  Making a u-turn on gravel, going into it way too fast, she grabbed some front brake and went down.  We both predicted it was about to happen as she started the turn, he shook his head and went back inside.

Second girl took to it quickly, and already wanted a bike.  I found her a Ninja 250 and she fell in love with riding.  She wasn't really a natural but looked like it because she went right into going fairly fast.  I shat myself on rides and was glad she only had a 250, she was WOT girl, young and invincible.  She had a couple 'dumb' low speed drops, luckily never got hurt.  It developed a rod knock about the time we were splitting up and I don't think she got back into riding.  This goes with Blackhawk's fear of being worried about his girl on rides.  I almost always rode behind her and usually last if it was a group.  I was glad I had a 1000 so I could quickly blast out in front and slow her or the group down.

13 hours ago, TOXXIC said:

No pics of the Chicken Hawk? I had two of the Honda (Ducati wannabe) Ducs. Both mine were red 1998s.

There should be more photos here from the '02 West Coast meet but this is all I could find, it was on the way there:

The only TL I rode was a bit twitchy with the lean miss at low throttle, other than that it doesn't make any scary list to me. If I hadn't come off my perfectly tuned SH996 I might have accepted the TL as normalish.

That SH will go down as one of the 'wish I'd never sold it' bikes. It was so perfectly tuned it could do hooligan stupid, mundane commute, and even some run from the Hell's Angels with the fuel light on to get to the 2002 XX Bash.

post-417-0-15174800-1454050923_thumb.jpg

It was stock other than high mount titanium Jardines, K&N, and it was tuned by them.  It was the bike they used when they made the system so I'm sure they did everything possible to get the best dyno numbers they could.  The guy I sold it to was pushed by a bike shop to re-tune it, they fucked it up.  He offered it back to me, I took one short ride and said no.

Edited by superhawk996

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

There should be more photos here from the '02 West Coast meet but this is all I could find, it was on the way there:

The only TL I rode was a bit twitchy with the lean miss at low throttle, other than that it doesn't make any scary list to me. If I hadn't come off my perfectly tuned SH996 I might have accepted the TL as normalish.

That SH will go down as one of the 'wish I'd never sold it' bikes. It was so perfectly tuned it could do hooligan stupid, mundane commute, and even some run from the Hell's Angels with the fuel light on to get to the 2002 XX Bash.

post-417-0-15174800-1454050923_thumb.jpg

It was stock other than high mount titanium Jardines, K&N, and it was tuned by them.  It was the bike they used when they made the system so I'm sure they did everything possible to get the best dyno numbers they could.  The guy I sold it to was pushed by a bike shop to re-tune it, they fucked it up.  He offered it back to me, I took one short ride and said no.

When is the next west coast bash???

"Why am I sore everywhere?", she asked this morning. 

Motorcycling requires your whole body to be active.

So last night she told me that for now she's setting aside this idea of piloting on her own and will be happy to remain a passenger.  I like the idea of her learning to ride dirt instead of road and expressed that to her last night in the form of, "You know, you could learn to ride on the dirt instead of the road. If you want to ride but, don't want to ride on the road, you can still learn and enjoy a different style of riding."

I think for now and most likely for quite a while she's not going to pursue it.

6 hours ago, nomadicdread said:

"Why am I sore everywhere?", she asked this morning. 

Motorcycling requires your whole body to be active.

So last night she told me that for now she's setting aside this idea of piloting on her own and will be happy to remain a passenger.  I like the idea of her learning to ride dirt instead of road and expressed that to her last night in the form of, "You know, you could learn to ride on the dirt instead of the road. If you want to ride but, don't want to ride on the road, you can still learn and enjoy a different style of riding."

I think for now and most likely for quite a while she's not going to pursue it.

My wife can ride a DRZ400 as I taught her how to ride in on our property in Eastern WA. However, she prefers the Trail 110/CT110 or our family Ruckus.

Well...I was getting closer to buying one and then a work trip got cancelled. I was going to check one out in SD next week but, now that event, flight, and all is cancelled. I'm going to think over the expense vs. convenience factors.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

What have you guys been up to?

Still no XX for me....as I've been on the government teet since March.  I was on a 90 day furlough until last week when a few thousand of us were laid off.

Edited by nomadicdread

What have you guys been up to?

Still no XX for me....as I've been on the government teet since March.  I was on a 90 day furlough until last week when a few thousand of us were laid off.

I was wondering about you.  The last few days I thought "I'm gonna give that guy a shout as soon as I'm done here", then it would go out of mind.  I hope you still have enough $ flow to keep above water.

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

I was wondering about you.  The last few days I thought "I'm gonna give that guy a shout as soon as I'm done here", then it would go out of mind.  I hope you still have enough $ flow to keep above water.

Yes, we are currently financially fine and will be so for the foreseeable future.  It's just forced some lifestyle changes which I can honestly say, I'm glad it was forced.  I don't miss the woman's desire to eat out multiple times every weekend.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nomadicdread said:

It's just forced some lifestyle changes which I can honestly say, I'm glad it was forced.  I don't miss the woman's desire to eat out multiple times every weekend.  

Ashley now sees how much she was spending on going out to eat & drink.  Not an exact number, but she's seeing her bank account grow instead of hover.  She's one of those that would pick up everyone's tabs & shit, it bugged the hell out of me.

• 3 months later...