CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB '99-00, or ‘03 XX

The woman says she likes the silver XX. 😐 I had to explain to her “Super Blackbird” then I flipped it around and said, “Maybe you want this one for yourself.”

She’s taking a intro to motorcycles course this weekend. Four hours on a bike, no classroom time and doesn’t count toward endorsement qualifications. Might need a bigger garage. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, women who ride the XX need to be tall and reasonably strong.  My chick has a 32" inseam and finds it hard to deal with, but she has no upper body strength.  I have a friend who is a motorcycle cop and she isn't comfortable on the XX because of height.  Her favorite bike, a K1200RS, is heavier but low with all the weight at the bottom.

Also, it is positively retarded for anyone to ride a XX as a first bike.  It is 2x so for a woman unless she's the size of an average guy.

If she decided to do it, my recommendation would be SV650.  If she lacks speed/power discipline then maybe something smaller, or a throttle stop, but most girls are fairly conservative and don't try to use all it's got.

1 hour ago, nomadicdread said:

Nah she’s 5’4.5”  with long arms.  It was more of a joke poking at her about the bike. If she decides she wants a bike, I’m not attempting to guess at what she’ll get. Like any other woman, she changes her mind often. 

I thank the gods I don't believe in.  I was already picturing the argument (it has happened before).  The SV is the standard suggestion for a reason.  And I 100% agree.  Also, the bike is a shitload of fun for experienced riders too, unlike other starter bikes such as the Ninja 250.

You and your wife should fly down for a quick vacation and attend RacerXX along with a bunch of other forum members.
There will be extra CBR250's and a GSXR600 to ride in a safe and controlled environment and a whole lot of fun as well.
Do the rock star fly-in and ride as many others have done and Chris is doing this year from Washington State.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, XXitanium said:

...pick up that XX at the south end of Fl and take it home.

The one near Tampa?

2 hours ago, John01XX said:

You and your wife should fly down for a quick vacation and attend RacerXX along with a bunch of other forum members.
There will be extra CBR250's and a GSXR600 to ride in a safe and controlled environment and a whole lot of fun as well.
Do the rock star fly-in and ride as many others have done and Chris is doing this year from Washington State.

I wish we could. Trips like that have to planned out a year in advance at the minimum due to all of our other obligations.  

5 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

If she decided to do it, my recommendation would be SV650.  If she lacks speed/power discipline then maybe something smaller, or a throttle stop, but most girls are fairly conservative and don't try to use all it's got.

4 hours ago, SwampNut said:

I thank the gods I don't believe in.  I was already picturing the argument (it has happened before).  The SV is the standard suggestion for a reason.  And I 100% agree.  Also, the bike is a shitload of fun for experienced riders too, unlike other starter bikes such as the Ninja 250.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be sure to let her know.  She's a dabbler. I've seen her spend the money and time to get into different activities and very seldom utilize the items she had to buy to get into it. Examples, archery, firearms, and and hunting. But who knows, maybe she'll really get excited about riding and want to get a bike.  I've already bought her all the gear; Dianese jacket, AGV helmet, Rev-it jeans, Sidici glvoes. The only thing she could currently upgrade on is a proper riding boots. She's got sturdy boots. Just not mc boots, and I've found some on sale 😀.  When the weather gets closer to consistently warmer, we'll be shopping again for warm weather riding jackets and gloves.  She loves shopping.  

Actually I need to tell the truth. I did pay for all her gear. Then a day later she brings me a check from her personal account for $500. Which I believe covered her helmet and jacket or mostly covered it.  I was not expecting her to pay for getting into the lifestyle but, really it all ends up coming out of the same pot anyway. 

In other words, I have no idea what to expect come Sunday or the day after.

In other news...

I met a couple friends this morning for a quick bite.  Me on the BMW. Them on their separate Ducati 999s'.  When we parted ways coming off a long curved on ramp to the highway, I left left in the dust. K1300GT could not compete with their acceleration and off into the distance they went. Good times. Then I thought, "Can a stock XX keep up?". I know they have a few mods going on with their bikes 

4 hours ago, nomadicdread said:

Then I thought, "Can a stock XX keep up?

Bird Power:    164.00 HP (119.7 kW)) @ 9500 RPM
Dry weight:    224.0 kg (493.8 pounds)
Year 2003
https://bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cbr_1100_xx_super_blackbird_2003.php
999 Power:    138.12 HP (100.8 kW)) @ 9750 RPM
Dry weight:    186.0 kg (410.1 pounds)
Year 2006
https://bikez.com/motorcycles/ducati_999_superbike_2006.php

1 hour ago, XXitanium said:

Scorching hot HIGH maintenance girlfriend. 

Hot? Yes. High maintenance? Nah. She’s a got a “dirty job” and works with our finest everyday, which for her job means she also deals with scumbags too. 

Now if she decides she needs a Ducati, might change my opinion. 

Pics from tonight. 

1E187444-551D-45E4-8DB9-2BDE5CF8790B.jpeg

6F3E78BF-96A4-4E8B-86D3-E6B6ED78F911.jpeg

51963CE1-34F8-4C84-9A0B-25BECD94DA00.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John01XX said:

Nicely Chris, I was not aware you were doing another fly-in and ride. Lori’s Husband and I had this circled on the calendar for several years....Never seemed to work with the schedules, which is too bad.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

999 Power:    138.12 HP (100.8 kW)) @ 9750 RPM
Dry weight:    186.0 kg (410.1 pounds)
Year 2006
https://bikez.com/motorcycles/ducati_999_superbike_2006.php

(She's very cute, but I was referring to the Ducati.) My cut-and-paste was a miserable failure hence the "test"...

3 hours ago, TOXXIC said:

Nicely Chris, I was not aware you were doing another fly-in and ride. Lori’s Husband and I had this circled on the calendar for several years....Never seemed to work with the schedules, which is too bad.

You lazy bastards need to pack up and get out here.  Send Cal and Jeff with the truck, and you guys with jobs can fly in.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nomadicdread said:

She’s a got a “dirty job” and works with our finest everyday, which for her job means she also deals with scumbags too. 

Sounds like she and my wife have a ton in common.

3 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

You lazy bastards need to pack up and get out here.  Send Cal and Jeff with the truck, and you guys with jobs can fly in.

That would be truly amazing.....I miss Lori. I mean I miss Lori’s husband. Seems life and a new Adventure bike has him occupied.

i miss Cal and Jeff too.

Report from her class.

I rode over and parked in the shadows to see her standing and everyone else riding.  Break time came and she spotted me. She told me that she was having fun but, didn't understand how she was supposed to coordinate her hands and feet. I had told her yesterday that I would give her a stationary-no motoring lesson on that if she wanted but, she didn't take me up on it.  Well not understanding how, caused her to get into a situation and down the bike went. She said most of the impact was on her knee but, she's up and doing chores so I think she likely had a 5 mph or less fall. After that she didn't want to get back on the bike and she finished out the day watching everyone else.  

I gave her a good look over and listened to what she had to say about the day. She didn't land on her hands, or head, and all her gear looks just like it did before she went to the course. I think she's physically fine. "I have a new respect for your motorcycling and will always be your passenger. I'm not scared to ride on the back, I don't know if riding in front right for me.", she said.  At this point I'm just going to be a support and if she wants to continue and perhaps take some private lessons, I'll be around to support.

After a few questions about the instructor and the bike she was on I got to thinking....the Intruder she was on was not right for her and was a piece of garbage to even learn on.  The instructor drove his car to the class, didn't provide any demonstrations for the class and commented that the bike she was on wasn't in good condition. That's three strikes in my book.  She's not much on upper body strength, so if she's going to continue this, I'd like to find something inexpensive for her that's got less rake and still suitable for her...while still being able to take a beating without anyone feeling bad about it. However, I think she won't pursue it much more.

On 2/28/2020 at 2:39 PM, nomadicdread said:

Then I thought, "Can a stock XX keep up?". I know they have a few mods going on with their bikes 

My '06 999s felt quicker than the '01 bird but I'm not sure, both bone stock other than K&Ns on both.  I wish I woulda done a side by side, I'm kinda shocked I never thought to.  My first 999, an '03 standard model, probably wouldn't take a Bird.

Depending on which dyno you wanna believe the Bird has about 10-20HP more than the '05-'06 999s and it's supposedly about 80-90 lbs heavier.  Not sure which one has the torque advantage, guessing they're fairly close.  The non S and older S I think are around 10-20HP weaker

Sexiness goes to the S, but the XX has it's own special sexiness.  Maybe because they both have Italian paint?

IMG_2924.thumb.jpeg.98479192ac30c642cd3ddea176150730.jpeg

IMG_3059.thumb.jpeg.340cf997c06857d8785d60c7739543b5.jpeg

And then there's the true original, the 1997 BlackBird.  I'm now right back to where I started from.  Looks like I was living in a black & white world there.  Too bad the white Cherokee wasn't in the photo; one each from Ford, one each from Jeep, and one each from Honda.  My and Ashley's primary rides now are red, I bought them one right after the other, and I think they're the first red 4 wheeled vehicles I've owned, funny how that works.

IMG_0407.thumb.jpeg.edb01f55eafefc93e4fef8014f223546.jpeg

Edited by superhawk996