CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB '99-00, or ‘03 XX

NADA retail excellent and what the actual market value is are usually two completely different animals.  Fact of the matter is when it comes to birds you only have two kinds of buyers; people who know how bulletproof the bikes are, and people who say "the Busa is faster, Honda's are slow."  You put a 97 for sale for 5400 and you'll never sell it.  I don't care if you could eat off of it, it's not worth that, unless it has 3-4k worth of add-ons like full exhaust, wheels, suspension, Corbin seat, saddlebags, we're talking maxed out.

Like you said, the right buyer finding the right seller can skew the numbers, although they typically aren't seriously out of line.  But if mint EFI bikes can't bring 3k then he's also right that something is wrong.  And I sincerely hope if you're finding what you want in that price range you are checking on shipping costs because you may be waiting a long time with your specifics limited to your geographic area.

24 minutes ago, cecome said:

I heard they're not making them anymore.

I heard they're not making 1910's motor oil anymore either, and nobody wants it.  On the flip side I'm on the cusp of buying a 1974 GMC Motorhome which they're not making anymore, but they actually have special/unique features and lots of people want them so they're pretty valuable.

We both obviously have some Bird love and I think it's well founded, but just as you found, when your mission changes there's a better fitting machine.  The Bird is an exceptionally good machine, and there are so many other bikes that are also great at what they do.  If I weren't part of this family I don't know if I'd still have one.  I think the Bird has a pretty special mix of strengths and it would be cool if it became one of those 'special' vehicles.  From Nomad's search it appears that they are appreciating to some degree.  Maybe it's crazy people holding out and artificially inflating them, but sometimes that's all it takes.  Early Civics, Pintos, and Gremlins used to be throwaway cars; try to find even a junker for junk yard money today.

Shipping cost isn’t a concern. There’s a ‘99 near Boston with 44k miles and a crack in the upper cowl for $2700 but, it’s with a private seller. The logistics of making deal with a private seller that far away is currently outside my comfort. Who know what else is going on with the bike? I just had the BMW shipped from a dealer Denver. There’s a level of comfort that comes along with buying from a business and even then there were some things missed by them and by myself since I did not inspect the bike myself before buying. At least they partially compensated me after the sale for what they missed. 

I’m going to be an Uber ride away from an out of state seller in the near future. I’m hoping that he and I can make deal and I return home with the bike. 

Being from a dealer offers some security.  Different states have different laws covering what things dealers are responsible for even with an 'as is' sale, but beyond that a dealer is easy to serve and can usually be collected on where a private party can be very difficult.  Plus they are more likely to care about their reputation and public perception.

12 minutes ago, googus said:

I would ask for around $4,800 for my 2003 23k miles and a laundry list of goodies. Including over 1k in hard luggage system

There’s a 2003 my area that’s been fluctuating in price between $5,000 and $6,100 depending on what platform the seller is marketing it in. It’s been up for sale for a few months and doesn’t come with extras. 

That’s what is good I guess on our beloved Blackbirds. It’s all what’s someone willing to buy one for. They are true solid bikes that where way ahead of the game. 

6k is high in my eyes. I thought I was high at pushing 5k range for mine if I where to sell it😍

On 2/22/2020 at 5:29 PM, nomadicdread said:

Had an interesting exchange with fellow on a XX FB group.  His replies to my post about being in search of a '99 were full of comments about people pricing their Birds to low and lowering the overall value of them and how he'd never sell his '97 with 25k miles for less than NADA value of $5,400.  He also went on to say that when shopping for one, mileage shouldn't be a consideration.  I commented that I believe NADA pricing to be irrelevant when the real value is what ever the seller and buyer agree upon.  I then listed a few Birds that I've seen on the national market, their condition, asking price,  how long they have been on the market, and what sellers have relayed their bottom line to be on the item.  All of them are what I considered to be inflated pricing but, he didn't truly agree with my examples.

When I see carbed and Fi models for sale for over $3,000 and over $4,000 and not selling for months, that says to that me their pricing is inflated.

Interesting.  I just went to NADA to confirm, and it doesn't go older than a 2000 model (at least for Honda's).  Pulled that year for my area and added some accesseries.  Average retail was under $2500.  I think the fellow on FB is full of shit, unless he is not talking about USD.  BTW, it didn't ask for mileage.

1 hour ago, jon haney said:

Interesting.  I just went to NADA to confirm, and it doesn't go older than a 2000 model (at least for Honda's).  Pulled that year for my area and added some accesseries.  Average retail was under $2500.  I think the fellow on FB is full of shit, unless he is not talking about USD.  BTW, it didn't ask for mileage.

I think you're using the wrong NADA.

https://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/1997/Honda  You can change the year.

Capture.JPG

The problem with buyers guides like KBB and NADA are that they are extreme averages for extremely pedestrian vehicles.   Regardless of what they say about tying to a local market by zip code they are still not accurate for vehicles that have a loyal or enthusiast following or change hands infrequently. They do not take into consideration the decrease in the available market and changes in market desire.   Try running a reasonably low mileage (50K) example of a 1994 Porsche 911 from the 993 vintage....last of the air cooled....KBB indicates that the private party value is $32K - $36K.   I'd buy every one I could find at that price since the real "market" for these cars is more like $ 55K - 70K and climbing.  People want these for the simplicity of drive as well as the aural sound of the motor and the general connected feel of these vs the isolation,  interfering electronic nannies and drive by wire of today's models. 

In the end a vehicle, or item for that matter, is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay vs what someone is willing to sell.  

image.thumb.png.bbbd84be73c8032b4135768eb991fa9b.png

image.thumb.png.b21698b6cbd8aa43a9cef2fd9aa85f9e.png

On 2/24/2020 at 3:10 PM, nomadicdread said:

I think you're using the wrong NADA.

Went back through my browser history, and couldn't duplicate what I saw the first time.  WTF.  Guess I'm just getting old.

It's like what SierraKLR said.  The price range they give doesn't necessarily reflect the market in your particular area, or what you can actually sell it for.  I probably could have gotten a $1000 more for mine, but I dislike the whole selling process, and I knew it was going to a Bird enthusiast.

18 minutes ago, nomadicdread said:

I keep looking for it but haven't found it.

I ran a search in Searchtempest for CBR1100XX in Motorcycle Parts...that is where it popped up.  Houston, TX. 

Linky:   https://houston.craigslist.org/mpo/d/pasadena-02-cbr-1100xx/7083429242.html

2 hours ago, SierraKLR said:

I ran a search in Searchtempest for CBR1100XX in Motorcycle Parts...that is where it popped up.  Houston, TX. 

Linky:   https://houston.craigslist.org/mpo/d/pasadena-02-cbr-1100xx/7083429242.html

OOOOOOOHHHHHH

I thought it was in California!

thank you.