CBR1100XX.org Forum

Sprocket brands

JoWhee

I'm considering a front sprocket change, from 15 to 14 teeth. Any insights on which brands are recommended or to avoid? 

It's not on a 'bird, but I'd bet folding money that someone on here has some experience/ intimate knowledge of sprockets in general. 

The brands I've seen so far are Supersprok and Drive system, all in steel 

1 hour ago, JoWhee said:

GROAN!

Not just at the joke, but I actually googled it!

ROFLMAO!

I'd call Carlos old, but I think I might have a couple years on him.

Sunstar or Vortex for me.

the jt front sprocket that was on my blackbird when i had the chain break a few months ago had more play on the splines (in and out from the bike centerline) than i'd ever seen on any of my bikes.

i'd avoid any of their products.

The factory OEM is 15t and rubber mount. I'd love to find a 14 tooth rubber mount but it's probably as rare as hens teeth. 

I'm finding that the factory gearing on my Multistrada is too high. 

I re-geard both my 999s because they're geared super high, the clutches were a bit grabby, and the low RPM running was less than perfect.  With the second bike I tuned it and greased the clutch discs and it's possible that if I'd done that first I wouldn't have felt so much of a need to re-gear.  It's a long way to say that maybe your bike just needs a little tweaking IF all you're looking for is to smooth out the takeoff & low RPM running.  If you just want more grunt then it'll need a gear change.  If you can't find a 14t front, consider a bigger rear.

From memory the only tuning I did was a TPS reset which is a recommended service routine, found the connector and software on eBay pretty cheap.  I mighta made some other changes, but no 'trick' tuning that I recall.  Even tho it didn't seem to run poorly enough to indicate something was wrong, it really smoothed it out.  If the multi has a dry clutch consider greasing the plates, that made it so nice and controllable compared to the grabby engagement they both had.  I was leery of doing it, greasing a car's clutch would make it nearly useless, but with the bike there was no apparent loss of grip/slippage issues.  All it takes is a light film of white lithium grease on the friction discs.  I assume any grease would work, but I'd avoid one with molybdenum or any other EP additive, there's a chance they would cause slippage.

I've decated (Sorry Greta) the bike and bypassed the exhaust valve in the process, it's really smoothed out the bike. But as you said about your 999 it's geared really high, and I'd rather have the power down low instead of only shifting into 6th at 90+ mph.