CBR1100XX.org Forum

viffer winter project

tomek

I didn't know they make Cubitron sand paper, but if it's anything like the angle grinder wheels; holy shit!  It took quite a while just to wear the edge down to where it wasn't a hard corner, and it cut like mad.  I haven't used the cut-off wheels enough to have a real good assessment, but right off the bat they are better than the cheepos I had been using.

Got something done in last couple days.

Guide coat on primer, it is 99 cents off cheap ass Walmart applied as a dust coat.

IMG_20200428_192413770.jpg

Small, trim, mirrors and tail- I used platimium pearl HOK.  Ppg dcu2021 clear. Very nice product, I happened to have almost a quart laying around, might as well use it. There will be another flow coat of clear but otherwise those pieces are done.

IMG_20200502_131644191.jpg

Edited by tomek

Nose, front fender and sides- orion silver bc 02. Covered in UC35 hok. That is just a base for candy coats. There will be couple more layers of "color" . It is just beginning for those panels.

After one coat of metallic.

IMG_20200502_133756922.jpg

• Upvote 1

Could not find adjustment bolt for my Devilbiss plus gun, so I used my cousin's Sata gun. 1.4 mm for sealer and 1.3mm for bases and clears. Quality piece of equipment, superb atomization.

IMG_20200502_123347405.jpg

Once I`m done with my own projects. 😁 There are couple helmets in the pipe line,,,,

Painting sport bike with gazillion different parts is epic paint in the ass. It is tedious work. Practically all surface preparation has to be done by hand, there are not that many flat parts. 

46 minutes ago, tomek said:

There are couple helmets in the pipe line

I've heard lots of concern with painting helmets causing them to weaken; do you use special paints, research what kind of paint is ok for your helmets, or just say fuck it?  I'd dig having my helmet match my bike, never had one.

Urban legend. Helmet is already OEM painted, you applying paint on OEM finish so,,,,,,,,, most of modern helmets have removable interion, you mask everything else, etc. Urban legend.

Edited by tomek

6 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I've heard lots of concern with painting helmets causing them to weaken; do you use special paints, research what kind of paint is ok for your helmets, or just say fuck it?  I'd dig having my helmet match my bike, never had one.

As I recall and I could be wrong, the concern was about the thinner/reducers attacking the EPS before evaporating. 

The saga continues. Wet sanded with 600p and maroon pad for edges and tight to get spots. Decal applied and scuffed with 600.

IMG_20200509_093530952.jpg

First coats- I mixed interclear sg100 with some Ice Pearls. Measured by eye, less is usually better in situation like this.

IMG_20200509_142224211.jpg

IMG_20200509_142236930.jpg

• Like 1

Next step will be candy, essentially tinted clear for those unfamiliar. I start with Oriental Blue (uk04) and slowly add some kk15 teal concentrate till I like the color.