CBR1100XX.org Forum

Super Capacitor battery jumper

I've never used one, but have used my Lithium battery jumper quite a bit.  From the little I know about capacitors my guess is that it'll be bigger, heavier, and more expensive for an equal amount of starting power, tho since they work so differently it's nearly impossible to really judge what an equal amount of power is for one vs. the other.  If it's an engine that takes a long cranking time to fire the lithium will do way better, but most engines start pretty quickly.  A car with pushbutton start or some of the other electronic starter controls might have trouble with the capacitor type jumper.  The capacitor is probably much more temperature tolerant, probably has a longer life, and it's maintenance free.  If you want to throw it in the car and never think about it, the capacitor is the winner, as long as your vehicle battery doesn't go completely dead when you're all alone.

If you don't mind checking/charging it occasionally and the temperatures won't be crazy I think a lithium is better.  In a case where the vehicle's charging system shits out it could get you down the road a fair bit where the capacitor won't.  The lithium also lets you charge a phone which could be what gets you help.