CBR1100XX.org Forum

Penske shock removal.

TFT

I have a Penske 8981 installed on the 97XX that I am soon going to sell.

I was going to switch out the shock to Jackie's 2001 XX but am having a bit of an issue with removing the remote reservoir. As you can see in the photo the reservoir will not slide under the rear cross brace.

Can I disconnect the hose connecting it to the shock? 

Otherwise whoever buys this bike will be getting a heck of an upgrade on the shock.

I'm guessing it is the 8981 model because it looks just like the second pic.

Also, I have a stock shock off my other 97XX which I switched out right after I bought the bike used. It has just under 2,100 miles on it. It's been sitting in a box in my heated garage since I replaced it with the Ohlins.

penske shock.jpg

penske 8981.jpg

Yeah, its an annoyance for sure.  Depends on how it was routed on install, you basically have to undo all of it.  Do not disconnect the hoses.  You may end up having to loosen the rear frame extension to have enough room to raise the front off the inner fender.  That triangle the hose goes through is pretty tight to slide that reservoir through.  You wouldn't have to take the rear frame off, just maybe take the 4 bolts/nuts out in the front.  Seems like there's a lot of different ways people mount these shocks.

Thanks for the responses. I'll see what I can get accomplished today.

I just hate selling  the bike with a $800 shock on it. It's not like that will increase the value of the bike.

On another point, as I stated my plan was to install the Penske shock on Jackie's bike. 

My other option, if I can get it removed, is to sell it. 

Are any of you guys interested and what is a used Penske shock worth? 

No matter how you look at it I will have an extra shock at the end of the day, either the Penske or a stock shock with only 2,100 miles on it.

I don't remember how I removed mine.  It was going to be rebuilt so I mighta taken the hose off, but I think I was able to get the reservoir out.  Maybe just unbolted the fender to drop it out of the way, dunno.  If you decide to remove the hose, let the pressure out of the reservoir first.  You'll have to refill and bleed the air out of the oil, not a huge deal but an extra little chore.  If you're gonna swap it to Jackie's bike it would be a good idea to rebuild it first.  The internal rebound bumper breaks down over time and when it disintegrates it'll clog the oil holes and it'll get super stiff or completely lock up.  On mine the transition from "something feels a bit off" to it being locked was fairly short.  The final sign that something was definitely wrong was when I put it on the center stand and the tire was way off the ground.  Supposedly the newer bumper is more resistant to break down.

I figured out how to get the reservoir out. There are bolts that hold up the back of the fender. Remove those two bolts and the fender will lower enough to remove the reservoir.

Be very careful when removing the nut because if not secured it will fall right into the rear frame rail and I'm guessing impossible to extract. (See photo)

fender bolt.jpg

19 hours ago, TFT said:

I figured out how to get the reservoir out. There are bolts that hold up the back of the fender. Remove those two bolts and the fender will lower enough to remove the reservoir.

Be very careful when removing the nut because if not secured it will fall right into the rear frame rail and I'm guessing impossible to extract. (See photo)

fender bolt.jpg

Just put a magnet over the end of the tube, and go do a big wheelie. 😜

• Upvote 1

Sorry I didnt see this sooner. I have mine mounted the same way. I just shoved the reservoir under the bar. The fender has enough give that it will fit though it might scuff a little. Sounds like its a non issue now though. Adding the penske to my bird made a huge difference.

1 hour ago, RichardCranium said:

I just shoved the reservoir under the bar. The fender has enough give that it will fit though

That's what I thought I'd done with mine but couldn't remember.  It'll be a helpful reminder when I get around to rebuilding it and put it in.