CBR1100XX.org Forum

My welding venture [Edit]

XXitanium

We flipped the 220V circuit through the wall. It has a 40 Amp breaker on about 50' of what looks to be #6's.

There is a chart on top that is very worn from setting crap on top of it for decades. I can't read it. I tried Google, didn't find an image of what it looked like when new.

I think it's a reference for rod size...?

...bad spot for the chart...

20191008_193141.jpg

Edited by XXitanium

Having the chart would be cool, but I think you can get the needed info to use the machine.  I haven't stick welded in many years nor have I thought about it, but I'm pretty sure the rods come with the amp specs.  I would contact Forney and see if they have info on it, some companies keep old manuals and data.  Also, try googling forney c5 photos, maybe you'll find one of the chart in good shape.

2 hours ago, XXitanium said:

...and I found this, cool art deco welder  while looking online for the chart. 

R2D2's great grandfather. 

welder0413s.jpg

That's not R2D2, it's a fucking still disguised as a welder.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

OK, replacement welder. Junior smoked the Fourney making his flatbed.

Comments welcome. I don't think they make this model anymore. Nice chat with the old gentleman. I said I'd let him know if I wanted to pursue it.

Price dropped from $1,800 to $1,500 today.

I think the cart and tank and other extras seem to make it worth more than a bare model.

https://duluth.craigslist.org/tls/d/barnum-welder-miller-tig-and-stick/7171266206.html

'Have a miller syncrowave 180 for sale with tank of argon and three different packs of rods, foot feed and cart. All in excellent condition.I bought with the idea to learn tig welding but have never got to it and since wife died I am moving out of state, so don't need now. Been in a heated shop always. I can't get pictures to load so will have to have son put them on this weekend when he is home. Im 77 not into this modern stuff. - Butch"

00R0R_1IQEZ48P2sd_0t10CI_600x450.jpg

Son no.2 is certified in all the "G" certificates. I have welded and enjoyed it. My wife said she'd like to learn.

I have it in mind that son no.2 could make side cash with it. He's also, coincidentally, in a layoff this week.

It's a 3-1/2 drive to pick it up.

• 2 months later...
  • XXitanium changed the title to My welding venture [Edit]
14 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

I get this free magazine that you or your son may like.  Just click subscribe in upper right corner to get it by mail or on-line.

http://www.arcmagazine.pub/# 

Got the Melting toys in the barn and haven't cut and burned things in awhile and could use some refreshers.

This was perfect timing.  

Thanks for sharing this.

• Upvote 1