CBR1100XX.org Forum

broke my 1st chain today!

ptxyz

Garage clean up today, I bumped into offending sprockets. It has taken a while, but promises made promises kept. Both weights are with oem carriers, 530 chain, 44 t, 2004 r1.

As you can see that sprox alu/steel hybrid is 90 grams or 0.2 lbs heavier then steel Vortex ( I guess) sprocket. OEM was similar to steel one, but it was 45 t, can't find it anyway. If you take a look at nuts on both pics you can clearly see alu is much thicker in that area, and steel tooth ring overlaps aluminium center.  That is why it is heavy like fuck, pretty retarded design IMHO.

Some here owns me an apology.

IMG_20200111_142259868.jpg

IMG_20200111_142318791.jpg

Edited by tomek

Supersprox aren't all that light and there are aftermarket all steel ones that are lighter.  I doubt a stocker would be lighter, but it's Tomek so I'm sure he'll prove it.

...by casting an insult or three.

• Upvote 1

I only insult serial idiots. I simply don't have patience for proving 2+2=4, the wheel is round and other things of that nature over and over and over and over again. It gets old. Some people have bulletproofed learning ability.

You doubt it  lighter based on what ? 

Yesterday was the first time I actually put the aftermarket steel sprocket on the scale. I did remember from years ago that hybrid alu/steel was heavier then stocker hence I made that statement early in this thread.

Anyway here is a pic of oem sprocket from  the web. Does it look heavier then that steel aftermarket ? I don't think so.

download.jpeg

Edited by tomek

18 hours ago, tomek said:

I only insult serial idiots. I simply don't have patience for proving 2+2=4, the wheel is round and other things of that nature over and over and over and over again. It gets old. Some people have bulletproofed learning ability.

You doubt it  lighter based on what ? 

Yesterday was the first time I actually put the aftermarket steel sprocket on the scale. I did remember from years ago that hybrid alu/steel was heavier then stocker hence I made that statement early in this thread.

Anyway here is a pic of oem sprocket from  the web. Does it look heavier then that steel aftermarket ? I don't think so.

download.jpeg

Definitely, but not by much.  Look at the width of thicker steel under the teeth.

Checking Ebay, it looks as though Super-sprox has upped their game, and has some all steel versions that look as light as the one you have.

Edited by jon haney

There are some all steel versions that are much lighter than stock and Supersprox bi-metal, unless they've changed.  I like the bling factor of the bi-metal, but some of the skelotonized steel ones are pretty damn sexy too.  Does anyone make a straight aluminum that can handle the 'Bird's power?  I understand that it'll probably have a short life, but just curious if it's even an option.

If I remember right back when the bike was newer, there wasn't very many all steel options for non stock tooth count sprockets.  There were many aluminum ones and mine has been on for some years now.  That is why Supersprox took off, they had many tooth options.  I still have a new in package 47 tooth one that I got here on a group buy by Northman.

4 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

If I remember right back when the bike was newer, there wasn't very many all steel options for non stock tooth count sprockets.  There were many aluminum ones and mine has been on for some years now.  That is why Supersprox took off, they had many tooth options.  I still have a new in package 47 tooth one that I got here on a group buy by Northman.

So you're running an all aluminum, or the Supersprox aluminum/steel?

For clarification, back in 1999 thru 2003 the rear OEM sprocket was very heavy and had minimal cutouts. Below is a picture of the OEM rear sprocket I took off a 2000 Blackbird that I parted out a few years ago. Back in the day there was no skeleton steel rear sprockets available like there is today. The SuperSprox  that many of us bought in a group buy headed up by Northman was a replacement for the OEM Kawasaki ZX12 as there were none made for the Bird at the time.
Again at the time there was a big weight savings to go to the SuperSprox that probably is not the case today which would be a good reason that SuperSprox now makes light weight all steel sprockets that are also lighter than the original Alum/Steel sprockets.
As stated the bling factor on my Red Bird with all gold accents was the deciding factor when it came time to replace my original SuperSprox alum/steel sprocket.
Back in 2000/2003 the weight savings was significant when going to the alum/steel SuperSprox and it looked cool.
The original OEM BlackBird rear sprockets were heavy, ugly and had minimal cutouts but they were strong.

865296875_OEMSprocket.jpg.e3604bbe9ea8b579edbd4c5746bddce9.jpg

Edited by John01XX
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, John01XX said:

For clarification, back in 1999 thru 2003 the rear OEM sprocket was very heavy and had minimal cutouts. Below is a picture of the OEM rear sprocket I took off a 2000 Blackbird that I parted out a few years ago. Back in the day there was no skeleton steel rear sprockets available like there is today. The SuperSprox  that many of us bought in a group buy headed up by Northman was a replacement for the OEM Kawasaki ZX12 as there were none made for the Bird at the time.
Again at the time there was a big weight savings to go to the SuperSprox that probably is not the case today which would be a good reason that SuperSprox now makes light weight all steel sprockets that are also lighter than the original Alum/Steel sprockets.
As stated the bling factor on my Red Bird with all gold accents was the deciding factor when it came time to replace my original SuperSprox alum/steel sprocket.
Back in 2000/2003 the weight savings was significant when going to the alum/steel SuperSprox and it looked cool.
The original OEM BlackBird rear sprockets were heavy, ugly and had minimal cutouts but they were strong.

865296875_OEMSprocket.jpg.e3604bbe9ea8b579edbd4c5746bddce9.jpg

John, you sure that is factory?  Neither of mine had 5 extra bolt-holes, and pretty certain the cut-outs were a little bigger than those.

1 hour ago, jon haney said:

John, you sure that is factory?  Neither of mine had 5 extra bolt-holes, and pretty certain the cut-outs were a little bigger than those.

I believe it had OEM numbers engraved but I could be mistaken.
My original (2001) factory sprocket I thought had the small cut-outs like this but don't remember seeing additional (5) holes as pictured.

This is oem sprocket. If you are realize majority of weight comes from tooth ring, the fact that inner area is thicker in case of alu/steel hybrid, necessity of material overlap, weight of rivets there is no hell no way there are significant weight savings  as John claims.

John, you are full of shit and are not man enough to apologise. And everyone can see it. 

s-l300.jpg

50 minutes ago, tomek said:

This is oem sprocket. If you are realize majority of weight comes from tooth ring, the fact that inner area is thicker in case of alu/steel hybrid, necessity of material overlap, weight of rivets there is no hell no way there are significant weight savings  as John claims.

John, you are full of shit and are not man enough to apologise. And everyone can see it. 

s-l300.jpg

WOW! 
You have some serious anger issues.
So what is the weight of that so-called Blackbird OEM sprocket?

I may be lost since I have The Professional on ignore and only see his quoted stuff, but I believe he said that on his track bike the Supersprox was heavier than stock so I'm guessing that photo is of an R1 sprocket and not a Bird sprocket.

Not to discount his angry rants that completely lack any useful information, but just bringing to light that you might not realize that he wasn't talking about the Bird's sprocket.  Or I might be wrong.

5 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Aluminum but it doesn't get a lot of miles but has been at the strip more than once.

Thank you, that is exactly what I needed to know.  I don't put on many miles but do wring it out on occasion, and I'm feeling that I might want to do a 44 tooth with a touch of bling so if I find an aluminum one I might do it.

3 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

I may be lost since I have The Professional on ignore and only see his quoted stuff, but I believe he said that on his track bike the Supersprox was heavier than stock so I'm guessing that photo is of an R1 sprocket and not a Bird sprocket.

Not to discount his angry rants that completely lack any useful information, but just bringing to light that you might not realize that he wasn't talking about the Bird's sprocket.  Or I might be wrong.

My claim that he says is full of shit and I am to apologize for is that my 2001 OEM sprocket is significantly heavier than the SuperSprox alum/steel I installed back in the day before the steel skeleton cut steel sprockets even existed.

6 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

I just looked at my OEM and the only thing on it is a 45 with a paint dot next to it.

So I was mistaken.

the 2000 model I parted out, that the picture came from, was possibly not the OEM as the owner claimed. I did sell it as OEM and it was installed on another Blackbird with no issues.

The discussion here is about the weight of an OEM rear sprocket on 1999-2003 CBR1100XX’s verses the weight of an early model year SuperSprox alum/steel sprocket for a ZX12. Many of us bought them with Northman’s group buy for the purpose of reducing weight,

if you have both, could you weigh them both up and post the results?

Tomek keeps referring to R1 sprockets or Vortex skeleton sprockets to validate his claim that Blackbird OEM steel sprockets are lighter weight than a ZX12 alum/steel SuperSprox.

If you disagree with Tomek then you are full of shit and if man enough must apologise!

11 minutes ago, John01XX said:

I do have both but don't have a scale to weigh them.  My OEM is from a 97 but I think that they are the same.

9 hours ago, tomek said:

I enjoy garage discussions but they are so much better when they are civil. 

3 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

I do have both but don't have a scale to weigh them.  My OEM is from a 97 but I think that they are the same.

You should send them to me, I'll weigh them then enjoy the free Supersprox 🙂   You could take them to the grocery store or post office.

Tomek apparently enjoys civil war much more than being civil, that's why I finally gave up on him.  I held out and tried a few times after another member I respect said that I was just misunderstanding him and that in person he's an ok dude.  I believe they hadn't hung out in a very long time so maybe Tomek changed or he's just this way on the forum and might still be ok live, but it's hard to believe the latter.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, John01XX said:

So I was mistaken.

the 2000 model I parted out, that the picture came from, was possibly not the OEM as the owner claimed. I did sell it as OEM and it was installed on another Blackbird with no issues.

The discussion here is about the weight of an OEM rear sprocket on 1999-2003 CBR1100XX’s verses the weight of an early model year SuperSprox alum/steel sprocket for a ZX12. Many of us bought them with Northman’s group buy for the purpose of reducing weight,

Tomek keeps referring to R1 sprockets or Vortex skeleton sprockets to validate his claim that Blackbird OEM steel sprockets are lighter weight than a ZX12 alum/steel SuperSprox.

If you disagree with Tomek then you are full of shit and if man enough must apologise!

Should , could, I thought, yada, yada, blah. 

Anyone with basic clue about engineering will know know the truth. See to land ratio is not the only thing that matters. Supersprox is simply thicker everywhere other then tooth ring. It uses more material by volume, therefore significant weight savings are non-existent. 

I will find stock R1 sprocket and will make you look like a stubborn idiot. Again.

Im out for now.

6 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Well, John has called me idiot first in this thread, I don't remember you criticizing him for that.