CBR1100XX.org Forum

broke my 1st chain today!

ptxyz

17 minutes ago, John01XX said:

The truck driver has now become an expert in metallurgy and discovered a way to make aluminum heavier than steel!!

You should get basic clue before opening you mouth. 

Supersprox are not made out of aluminium only. I could try to explain it to you even further but in case of your well known low IQ it would be waste of time.

Carrier and tooth ring overlap, plus they riveted together with heavy, well, rivets and end result is not so light sprocket.

I had them on very accurate paint mixing scale.

They are all bling, no weight savings.

24 minutes ago, tomek said:

You should get basic clue before opening you mouth. 

Supersprox are not made out of aluminium only. I could try to explain it to you even further but in case of your well known low IQ it would be waste of time.

Carrier and tooth ring overlap, plus they riveted together with heavy, well, rivets and end result is not so light sprocket.

I had them on very accurate paint mixing scale.

They are all bling, no weight savings.

I am so envious of your superior intellect! 
Not only are you a professional truck driver and an expert in metallurgy but now come to find out you have professional experience with a state of the art paint mixing scale!!!
Google is your friend, or at least should be.

OEM Steel 40 tooth Sprocket: 24.1 OZ
Driven Racing Aluminum 41 Tooth Sprocket: 9.8 OZ
Supersprox Steel/Aluminum 40 tooth Sprocket: 21.1 OZ
Supersprox Steel/Aluminum 42 Tooth Sprocket: 22 OZ

Of course this was using a standard non-calibrated kitchen scale, that was at least, in a pretty orange color !
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KYSPHK?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AwEAAAAAAAAAAVEo&th=1

Edited by John01XX

7 hours ago, John01XX said:

The truck driver has now become an expert in metallurgy and discovered a way to make aluminum heavier than steel!!

He stated it was a alu/steel version. I could believe that. 2 pounds of aluminum weighs more than 3 pounds of steel every time.

13 hours ago, John01XX said:

Not "now become", has always been and always will be.

• Upvote 1

On 9/28/2019 at 1:27 PM, ptxyz said:

jcrich, your thoughts on the now 2 bolt sprocket cover?  will they be enough?

I would be very concerned with the pressure of the clutch pushing the cover out and breaking it or the other screws, that screw is the closest one to the pressure and I think it would be important to have it.  My cover was missing the bottom screw which is further away from the pressure and I could see it flexing the cover, and it's a beefy billet cover.  I would JB Weld the piece back on, or find someone that can weld it.  Properly prepped and JB Welded it should hold, I've fixed worse.  It won't harm a thing to try, and if the pressure is enough to break the JB Weld bond it's an obvious sign that that screw is highly stressed and needed.  JB on the crack, then layer the fuck out of it on the inside, after thorough cleaning & sanding so the JB has a good bite.  You could also JB the outside to make it stronger, it'll just be ugly, but a little black paint would probably make it hard to notice.

Edited by superhawk996

5 hours ago, RXX said:

He stated it was a alu/steel version. I could believe that. 2 pounds of aluminum weighs more than 3 pounds of steel every time.

What weighs more, an ounce of aluminum or an ounce of gold?

i've cleaned and used jb weld to put that chunk back in place.  chain and sprocket should be arriving this week (already have a new front, this one fits pretty tight unlike the last...).

also been in email communication with someone at jt.  after seeing the marginal quality cell pics, same i've posted here, they'd like better pictures and details about the bike, install etc.  hopefully, the lack of receipt on ebay purchases won't give them an out.  it's promising they also want to see damage to the bike.

i'll keep y'all posted.

Edited by ptxyz

24 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

Amateur.

hey, i resemble that remark!  seriously, that's why i'm here...

what would have been better to use?

On 9/30/2019 at 11:26 AM, John01XX said:

I am so envious of your superior intellect! 
Not only are you a professional truck driver and an expert in metallurgy but now come to find out you have professional experience with a state of the art paint mixing scale!!!
Google is your friend, or at least should be.

OEM Steel 40 tooth Sprocket: 24.1 OZ
Driven Racing Aluminum 41 Tooth Sprocket: 9.8 OZ
Supersprox Steel/Aluminum 40 tooth Sprocket: 21.1 OZ
Supersprox Steel/Aluminum 42 Tooth Sprocket: 22 OZ

Of course this was using a standard non-calibrated kitchen scale, that was at least, in a pretty orange color !
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KYSPHK?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AwEAAAAAAAAAAVEo&th=1

40 tooth, what kind of bike runs that, Honda Monkey ? As I stated before 45 tooth 530 sprox sprocket for 2004 r1 was heavier then oem  sprocket . I still have them both. Somewhere. Once I take an effort to find them I`ll make you like an idiot. Again. Not that it takes much effort.

BTW, I don`t want anyone accusing me of starting stupid shit on this forum. I was trying to have facts based discussion and then certain people showed up. 

Apparently they still suffer from sore ass syndrome, and possibly they have nothing more interesting going in their lives.

Edited by tomek

2 hours ago, tomek said:

40 tooth, what kind of bike runs that, Honda Monkey ? As I stated before 45 tooth 530 sprox sprocket for 2004 r1 was heavier then oem  sprocket . I still have them both. Somewhere. Once I take an effort to find them I`ll make you like an idiot. Again. Not that it takes much effort.

BTW, I don`t want anyone accusing me of starting stupid shit on this forum. I was trying to have facts based discussion and then certain people showed up. 

Apparently they still suffer from sore ass syndrome, and possibly they have nothing more interesting going in their lives.

They are suffer. Should consider sock puppet like above. 

6 hours ago, ptxyz said:

hey, i resemble that remark!  seriously, that's why i'm here...

what would have been better to use?

You're all good.  You missed previous discussions where Tomek The Professional(tm) made it clear that only fucking retard amateurs use anything other than acetone.  All of us amateurs use normal solvents, like you did.  

ha ha!  ok, now i get it!  i could be accused of being an amateur reader and slow on the uptake too, just ask my wife!

jt has requested their chain back and tells me they want their lab to test it.  stay tuned...

21 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

I will be interesting to see if they take responsibility for not only the chain but the bike.  

Interesting???

I would be flabber-gasted, if they actually paid to fix any of the resulting damage.

If you had crashed, and were injured, and threatening to sue, then maybe.

12 hours ago, jon haney said:

If you had crashed, and were injured, and threatening to sue, and had strong evidence to show that they were negligent and responsible for the crash, then maybe.

It would probably be difficult to prove that it failed without any user error or abuse.  And I assume that unless they state that it's good for XX horsepower and torque it would be nearly impossible to win in court.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

It would probably be difficult to prove that it failed without any user error or abuse.  And I assume that unless they state that it's good for XX horsepower and torque it would be nearly impossible to win in court.

Exactly.

On 9/27/2019 at 3:53 PM, ptxyz said:

had a close look at the rear sprocket, only damage i can see is from the chain getting caught up between it and the swingarm (locked my rear wheel, that was fun...).

sprockets and chain were replaced back in may, not sure of the exact mileage but, not more than a few thousand.  one trip to laughlin and 20 mile round trip commutes (shared duty with my klr).

watched my gopro footage and don't see any debris on the pavement leading up to this.  haven't yet noticed any missing fasteners or debris from me that might have caused this, i'll get a look at the front sprocket this weekend.  i'm hoping i just have to replace the chain.

other side of the pin looks just like the visible side.  appears to be a pretty clean shear.

so far, i'm inclined to believe it was the shock of regaining traction suddenly that caused a defective pin to fail.  here's a screen grab from my gopro showing that slippery manhole cover...  how fortunate work is only about 50-60 yards beyond!

"why the hell is that idiot pushing his bike down the sidewalk and through the crosswalk?!"

vlcsnap-2019-09-27-07h50m13s959.PNG

That looks like a nice place to work.