CBR1100XX.org Forum

REAR TIRE SCARFED: TIRE REPLACEMENT

TFT

Seeing as the GIVI bags aren't aerodynamically designed for the XX at higher speeds they vibrate which tends to shake the rear of the bike, therefore rear tire scarfing.

I didn't notice the scarfing at first until I had the wheel off and a better look at the tire. I can't tell if the front tire may also have been affected. My thought is to replace them both.

Any thoughts? 

I had the Pirelli Angel GTs on the bike. They seemed to perform quite well.

Any other recommendations?

I'm gonna say it, that tire is cupped. it happens. The Pilot road 5's are amazing, you can even see where the compound changes near the edge, it looks like really big chicken strips. 

My 97 with Givis at speeds over 140 picks up a tail wag. Never affected my Angel Gt's like your picture. What tire pressures are you running? Obviously suspension set up will affect weight distribution as well. Stock suspension? Mine is sprung for a 230lb rider, and heavy loads on the back don't negatively affect it as much as I suspected.

Have you balance checked the wheel/tire after the trip?

Mine would pick up a bad tail wag around 140 too. I have an Ohlins shock set up for a 190 lb rider. My suspension is set up kind of stiff for a single rider. 

I have made trips with these cases before and never ran into this problem. This seemed to manifest itself after a few thousand miles and then it continually got worse especially at higher speeds.

I have the GIVI 360 side cases and the GIVI 460 top case. I was running 40 psi. 

I haven't done any checking of the tire balance. I ordered new tires yesterday but they won't get here before I head back to Alaska. I'll be back in AZ the end of this month and have them replaced then. 

IMG_0827.JPG

Edited by TFT

Mine has the same bags. No top case though. Check the rear tire balance before throwing on new rubber and let us know how it was. Check the wheel bearings too, and throw a dial indicator on the rear rim to see if it's bent. I'm gonna guess you rode some rough roads. Best to check if it runs true. Tires can get expensive.

Mine has ohlins too, and is stiffer than stock by far. On my second set of Angel GTs and I really like them for the XX. Think I am at 42psi on the rear. 

You may want to do a quick check to be sure the swing arm and shock linkage us smooth without binding or play.

How much gear were you carrying (lbs)?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I can't imagine the bags being the cause.

Well, at 140, all bets are off.  I’m sure Givi has a speed rating for their products.  They’re designed for normal use, not racing.

Yeah, definitely some rough roads. Also, there was one bump I hit, there was a crack in the pavement and a good size rise from one side of the crack to the other. I was concerned at that point that I had a bent rim. We stopped and looked, nothing obvious.

once I get the ne tires I'll have the wheels checked for deformity, balance, etc.

10 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I can't imagine the bags being the cause.

On certain crosswinds the bike would shake a lot more. Of course I was travelling at higher speeds, 80+, so that would add to the equation.

11 hours ago, TFT said:

Yeah, definitely some rough roads. Also, there was one bump I hit, there was a crack in the pavement and a good size rise from one side of the crack to the other. I was concerned at that point that I had a bent rim. We stopped and looked, nothing obvious.

once I get the ne tires I'll have the wheels checked for deformity, balance, etc.

If you can, balance check the trashed tire on the rim, remove that tire, and check the rim with a dial indicator if the bearings feel good.

I've never done more than eyeball the alignment of the rear tire via the chain. But if that was way off it could affect tire wear. On my last long trip, I thought I could do it with the tread life I thought I had. I was wrong and luckily found a dealer with a correct Angel GT rear. The genius they had mounting and installing the tire had no clue how to do the job properly. When I got home I corrected it.

On 9/2/2019 at 8:10 PM, XXBirdSlapper said:

If you can, balance check the trashed tire on the rim, remove that tire, and check the rim with a dial indicator if the bearings feel good.

I've never done more than eyeball the alignment of the rear tire via the chain. But if that was way off it could affect tire wear. On my last long trip, I thought I could do it with the tread life I thought I had. I was wrong and luckily found a dealer with a correct Angel GT rear. The genius they had mounting and installing the tire had no clue how to do the job properly. When I got home I corrected it.

I received my new Pirelli Angel GT tires today. Woohoo!! Bought them on Amazon for $199.99, no tax, no shipping!! The fact that the new Angel GT II are out definitely lowered the price. 

On my next trip to AZ I'll get them mounted and balanced and the wheels checked out to make sure they aren't bent. I'll definitely take your advice and have them check the trashed tire for balance before they remove it as well as check the bearings. 

1 hour ago, CBR-RR-XX-CESS said:

How do they compare?

I don't really notice a difference. Of course you probably would have to ride them both on the same day at a track to tell. I haven't put enough miles on the second set to compare life.