CBR1100XX.org Forum

LOW BEAM BULB REPLACEMENT

TFT

On the last day of my trip I started out at 5:00 am only to discover the low beam was burnt out. Fortunately I still had high beam so other than annoying oncoming traffic, no problem.

What bulb do you guys recommend for replacement and how difficult is it to get to the bulb? How much do I have to disassemble to access the bulb?

Thanks for the help.

26 minutes ago, silverbird1100 said:

Jaws had an hid kit I'd look into upgrading. Anyone here done that?

This. Tom, HID is the single most important upgrade you can do for your safety.

3 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

If flexible enough, I think a low beam OEM replacement can be done without taking anything off.  Got to dismount the front fairing to replace style or high beam.

High beam is the bottom bulb,nothing needs removing to change that one.top one is low beam.was able to remove the bulb without removing anything but installing the new  bulb i found it easy to just remove one half of the under dash trim

No.  HID has switches and ballasts that need to be tucked in somewhere.  A slim ballast is easier to work with.  I’d presume kits come with bladed wires for positive and negative terminals (plug into OEM socket).  After a year or so, I carefully removed the connections from the OEM sockets and used some heat shrink tubing to connect the circuit with better weather protection.  I could have direct wired, but if I wanted to return to OEM, I’d be screwed.  This allowed me to reinsert the terminals into the plugs.

Because of the need to ensure the bulb doesn’t get contaminated on install, it is easier to dismount the front cowling and install on a work bench.

I did HID high and low beam.  I liked it but with one caveat...high beam took time to reach full brightness (noticeable at night), so if I anticipated needing the high beam, I made sure to cycle it on so the ballast would reach full charge and retain much of it when it was off.

1 hour ago, Zero Knievel said:

I did HID high and low beam.  I liked it but with one two caveat(s)...high beam took time to reach full brightness (noticeable at night), so if I anticipated needing the high beam, I made sure to cycle it on so the ballast would reach full charge and retain much of it when it was off.

AND,

The high beam now cannot be modulated. A favorite of mine.

Tom, if you are dicking around with your illumination, this would be a good time to look into a modulator setup. Easy to install, reliable (mine was going on 60K on stock bulb), and other drivers notice you.

push down on the left hand side of the clip where it hooks under the bracket and swing it over to the right so its out of the way.do not undo the screws or try to remove it completely from the headlight assembly.they are a bastard to put back in. 

4 hours ago, RXX said:

AND,

The high beam now cannot be modulated. A favorite of mine.

Tom, if you are dicking around with your illumination, this would be a good time to look into a modulator setup. Easy to install, reliable (mine was going on 60K on stock bulb), and other drivers notice you.

If, as a winter project, you want to return the high beam to a standard bulb, I’m sure I could walk you through the process.

11 hours ago, TFT said:

How do I get this clip to release

bulb clip.jpg

On the left side, press in and down, then it'll swing away from the bulb and towards the right.

Edited by superhawk996

I installed HID years ago and don't remember taking much apart. both bulbs.

The ballasts are screwed to the inside panels and just clear the forks.

Best mod ever