CBR1100XX.org Forum

MOTORCYCLE CHAIN - SEEMS STIFF

TFT

I'm taking the bike apart to clean it after the 4,00 mile trip and the chain seems quite stiff. It did stretch during the first few days of constant rain and cold. I adjusted it after about 1,200 miles and it never seemed to stretch again. I don't think that chain has 10,000 miles on it. Any comments or suggestions?

I think it is related to chain lube you use - wax. I've noticed it was quite thick. 

I would clean ypur chain with something like wd40 before applying wax again.

I've never been a fan of wax, but many people who've done lots of miles love it.  To me it seems like it's a good sealer, but I can't see how it would get into the rollers and lubricate.  I use Silkolene Road and it seems very slick & smooth.  Chain lubes could be as bad or worse than a motor oil conversation, at least with motor oil you can look at analysis info to get some useful data.  Considering the wide array of shit people use on a chain it almost seems like anything, including WD-40, works perfectly fine.

Scottoiler easily the best way to go, non stick so doesn't turn into grinding paste, cleans the chain as you go, lubes regardless of whether you can be bothered or not :) Just top up every now and then.

I had the same thing with a chain, cleaned it with kero, lubed, was fine after that.

On 8/30/2019 at 11:39 PM, paul99xx said:

Scottoiler easily the best way to go

+1

But what chain oil do you put in it?

I've tried lots, any more I put in whatever is handy.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OMG said:

+1

But what chain oil do you put in it?

I've tried lots, any more I put in whatever is handy.

I tried auto tranny fluid, after readying that's what the scottoiler stuff is but wasn't happy with it, so I went back to the red scottoiler oil.

I cleaned the chain with kerosene, it seems a bit more flexible. It's definitely clean.

There were no kinks or tight spots after I got everything re-installed. The chain seems to be in good shape.

I don't think there was 2,000 miles on it before I started the trip. The bike just hasn't gotten a lot of use in Alaska these past few years.