CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cam chain noise?

Chewtoy

Hi,

My blackbird started making a rattling noise yesterday.  It's emanating from the right side of the motor.  Most pronounced @ idle, goes away at ~4K RPM.  No performance issues.  I pulled the clutch cover and found nothing obvious or shavings in the oil  

Am thinking cam chain tensioner.  Have not had this happen to me before, so I made a quick video here: https://youtu.be/5DL2fnIKW1g

If anyone can confirm or provide constructive information, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

1 hour ago, John01XX said:

in stock,
cheap fix,
easy 10 minute replacement
latest double green dot OEM parts

Your order number is: R344651455

OK man, send that puppie over, I've been fighting off a cold.  Now I get well and the bike's sick!  Got a new front tire and can't wait to get riding!

Thanks

1 hour ago, Chewtoy said:

Your order number is: R344651455

OK man, send that puppie over, I've been fighting off a cold.  Now I get well and the bike's sick!  Got a new front tire and can't wait to get riding!

Thanks

Received the order 

Will go out on Monday Priority Mail

you will get the tracking info by email on Monday also.

11 hours ago, John01XX said:

Received the order 

Muy Bueno!

Got the chain tensioner and installed it last night.  Easy fix and the bike is running great again.

Great service and fast shipping from John!  Everyone should buy from him!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 8/24/2019 at 9:07 PM, John01XX said:

Received the order 

John is the real deal! Had a spare CCT I purchased from him along with a few other items. Mine went bad a year or so back and it was a quick fix. This reminds me to get a spare now.

• 1 month later...

John in your picture I don’t see the bolt you take off after install. Then again I am not mechanical inclined :(

I might just order one for the he’ll of it.

also trying to do research on sprocket chain set for the bird. I want it lower rpm on highway 

7 hours ago, googus said:

I want it lower rpm on highway 

Some have installed an 18t front sprocket.  Another option is the stock 17 and drop a couple off the back.  I think the stock set up in the US is 17/45, and the Euro is 17/44 which makes the speedo pretty accurate instead of reading way over.

16 hours ago, googus said:

John in your picture I don’t see the bolt you take off after install. Then again I am not mechanical inclined :(

I might just order one for the he’ll of it.

also trying to do research on sprocket chain set for the bird. I want it lower rpm on highway 

I am not sure what you are referring to?
There is no "bolt" to take off after installation.
There is a small "key" factory inserted in the top of the CCT to maintain internal tension. That key is simple pulled out after installation to release the spring tension of the CCT itself. If you pull the key out before installation, it will not install properly. It is possible to rewind up the internal spring with a small screwdriver in order to complete the proper install. Then just remove the screwdriver after installation.
If this does not make sense to you then refer to the CCT installation thread that has pictures and better explanations or give me a call.
PS there is a small screw-on cap that covers the key hole after the key is removed. Simple transfer the cap from the old CCT over to the new CCT. It is simply a dust/moisture cover.

• Like 1