CBR1100XX.org Forum

Question for you electrician types

Biometrix

56 minutes ago, JoWhee said:

I'd probably go with 2". But check with code, some jurisdictions won't allow high and low voltage wires in the same conduit. 

The jurisdiction in question will not be privy to this particular project. I was thinking 2" also but didn't want to over-do it. The 2" conduit body boxes just seem huge. 

45 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

Are the devices on both ends compatible with shielded Ethernet cable?  Are you aware of the grounding requirements?

Yes, the Cat 6 is for a PoE camera. The others are all run with shielded Cat 6. If you mean grounding of the sub panel, also yes...it will need a separate ground at the garage. If you mean some other type of grounding then I am at a loss and would welcome your advice.

3 hours ago, SwampNut said:

No, I mean how will you ground the STP cable.

Well fuck! See, this is what happens when you blindly rely on the advice of others. One of my field techs (who normally is pretty sharp) is the guy who installed my PoE camera system and strongly suggested the shielded Cat6. Clearly based on a quick Google search it appears this was unnecessary and I know now it's not grounded at all. I think I'll have him climb up in my attic again now and replace the shielded to the other cameras with regular Cat 6 as penance. Thanks for the heads up on that. 

I'm no expert on STP since I use it once a decade, but from memory...  

STP is rarely needed.  If you use it, there's a special male connector.  That goes into a device with a special female connector that grounds it.  You ground both ends IF they have a common ground, only one end if you don't.  Ask me how much money I've made replacing shit when people grounded a cable on two ends with separate grounds, and lightning induced voltage into one end (even though the building wasn't hit, it was just in the air).  An attic should never have STP, that's crazy.  Oh, and in outdoor applications you ALSO need a surge arrestor with its own ground.  If the device is PoE, then obviously you can ground both ends.

My last run of it was almost ten years ago, to go around 450 feet (yes, out of spec, it worked) under a boat dock.  The far end was specifically ground tested to be sure it was equivalent to the head end, and we grounded both.

Again, no expert on STP, but I think if you have existing ungrounded runs of it, you're going to be fine.  I don't think there's a need to remove it.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Biometrix said:

If you mean grounding of the sub panel, also yes...it will need a separate ground at the garage.

Interesting.  I was told that you use the same ground as the house for your outbuildings.  My garage and my shop are both wired to the house ground.

13 hours ago, Furbird said:

Interesting.  I was told that you use the same ground as the house for your outbuildings.  My garage and my shop are both wired to the house ground.

I'm just repeating what the electrician told me. He's putting in the sub panel and making the connection to the main panel and pounding in the new 8' ground rod. I'm just putting in the conduit and pulling the wire he specified plus the two extra that I want. He's the one who said either 1.5" or 2" conduit but it was my call. Anyhow...I went with 2". 

• 10 months later...

The UK regs are very clear on this, in fact, you can be prosecuted if you provide the earth from the main building, if a building is detached from the building that supplies the source of power it must have it's own earth (Ground), this is usually delivered by installing an earth spike.  I don't know about US/Canada as they don't use proper plugs out there, it's weird round ones 😂

Edited by JaBr
Additional detail

7 hours ago, JaBr said:

The UK regs are very clear on this, in fact, you can be prosecuted if you provide the earth from the main building, if a building is detached from the building that supplies the source of power it must have it's own earth (Ground), this is usually delivered by installing an earth spike.  I don't know about US/Canada as they don't use proper plugs out there, it's weird round ones 😂

See, just another example of why we had to gain independence from your oppressive rule. I think the 12th or maybe its the 39th amendment to our constitution grants us freedom to run electrical power in any manner which may quite likely kill us in the future.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2019 at 11:45 AM, SwampNut said:

I believe this varies by area, due to soil differences and things like that.  I'm no expert, but have heard differing things in different parts of the country.

Grounding is very important and fortifies any other lightning protection.

I'm thinking of a shed out back with electrical. I'll probably have a hundred foot run. My house is split level due to bedrock.

Biometrix probably has a flat yard - all sand.  ;)

18 hours ago, Biometrix said:

See, just another example of why we had to gain independence from your oppressive rule. I think the 12th or maybe its the 39th amendment to our constitution grants us freedom to run electrical power in any manner which may quite likely kill us in the future.

Well to be fair, we are quite obviously correct 🤣😂

The legislation is BS7671: 18th edition, it's a monster of a book, there is a 2 hour exam on it that you have to take, open book but still tricky.

11 hours ago, XXitanium said:

Biometrix probably has a flat yard - all sand.  ;)

Oh god I wish! I have about 3-4 inches of top soil and then shale. Lots and lots of hard slivers of shale intermingled with other rocks. I cannot dig any holes without the assistance of a shale bar (digging bar, post hole bar whatever you want to call it). It fucking sucks!