CBR1100XX.org Forum

'02 Bird near me, $2200.

12 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I can check it out if anyones interested.  The discoloration of the mufflers concerns me a bit.

Are there pictures, is it craigslist?

Thank you kindly for the offer.  How far are you from The Rock Store? (It's on my "small" bucket list, things I think I could actually afford/schedule)

Duh, a smart man woulda put that in the post huh.  https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/d/hacienda-heights-clean-title-2nd-owner/6959736329.html

The Rock Store is about 60 miles from me.  I've only been once, but it was pretty cool.

• Upvote 1

Yup.  It appears to have the catalyst mufflers so if it has/had a tuning issue I could see the cats overheating causing it.  Or maybe from some real hard riding, but having never seen it before I lean towards a tuning problem overheating the cats.  It's interesting that the hot spots are so different between left & right.  I wonder if the mufflers have different internals or if it was just the difference in flow between them that caused it.

That's not oil.  The mid-pipe area where the cats reside are super dark with some darkening of the mufflers, definitely some pretty extreme exhaust temperature happened.  Might have had some bad tuning done, maybe a leaking FPR that overheated the cats, who knows.

On 8/22/2019 at 5:00 PM, robbyog1 said:

I am interested, where can I see photos of it?

13 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Duh, a smart man woulda put that in the post huh.  https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/d/hacienda-heights-clean-title-2nd-owner/6959736329.html

The Rock Store is about 60 miles from me.  I've only been once, but it was pretty cool.

4 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

That's not oil.  The mid-pipe area where the cats reside are super dark with some darkening of the mufflers, definitely some pretty extreme exhaust temperature happened.  Might have had some bad tuning done, maybe a leaking FPR that overheated the cats, who knows.

... so, I Googled Neutron Motorsports.

I agree that oil leak merits some intense scrutiny . . . Those cans may indicate some degree of cat blockage, hence the heat related discoloration. Periodic use of leaded fuel (maybe older aviation gas?) can screw with the cats, gradually destroying them, all the while impeding flow and seriously increasing trapped heat.

If the cats were dead or blocked up the mufflers would run colder, not hotter.  Normally, the exhaust leaving a cat is hotter than it entered, when they die or start clogging the opposite happens.  I know lead will kill cats, not sure if it coats them or chemically reacts to kill them.  If the latter I could imagine some extra heat happening 'till they actually die.  Once they die they'll generally clog up since they're no longer able to burn off the stuff coming into them so it starts to build up in the tiny passages.  O2 sensors are also killed by leaded gas.

Oh, wow -  now I've learned something that on first take I'd have thought was counter-intuitive (blockage, heat, etc.). I'll readily admit I have no experience with XX cats; but now I'm  intrigued.

Has anyone got a schematic breakdown or diagram for this type (XX) cat/silencer system? Something like the autopsy performed on an OEM can in the link  below. . .

https://www.superblackbird.co.uk/blackbird/exhaust.htm

My experiences with diagnosing cats are on cars/trucks, but I see no reason it would be different on a bike since they all do pretty much the same thing.  If plugged up there'll be an increase in heat upstream of the cat and a huge decrease downstream, often enough that you can hold the pipe while the upstream is 300F +.  If they're just dead there'll be a small decrease downstream and no change upstream.  With good cats there will be a rise in downstream temp since the cats themselves are creating heat.  It's been a while, but I wanna say that around 100F rise is what I've typically seen.

As for the BB mufflers; I see no reason they would have to be constructed differently between cat and non-cat, but they might be.  The cats might add restriction and definitely add silencing so the mufflers could be made more 'open', but no clue if Honda did.  I have a pair of each but they're too pretty to cut into.  If I think of it I'll try putting my borescope into them to see if there's any obvious difference between them.

From what I can see it's the typical honeycomb.  It's in the first section of the muffler right at the header so if one wanted it gone it should be fairly easy to break up and pour out.  Cat guts aren't easy to break, but at least this one's easily accessible.