CBR1100XX.org Forum

So about that manual thermostat switch

RXX

OK, I have had Zero’s bike for a little over a year now, pit somewhere like 7K miles on it, and have always been going

”OH, SHIT, gotta flip the fan switch on, it’s almost on hot”

But every once in a while, the fucker cut on by itself. WTF.

So today, in the sweltering heat, and I mean it is hot and humid, I tested it out. 

Looks like it is working. Heated up, fan cut on.

Cut on shop fan while running, fan cuts off. Cut the shop fan on, bike fan cuts on.

Ran it a few cycles, and I think we are all good.

I think the gauge is off. I am a genius. If any of your bikes are working, but you think it isn’t, give me a shout. I think I can help.

45CD9FCC-9777-4E1A-A67F-C4AA714963E1.jpeg

2FAD9D13-6362-41C9-9BBB-4FDB6838F5C8.jpeg

426DE204-6829-429D-8BF6-43834B1B07BF.jpeg

I believe there's a 'self test mode' for the fan, hold the RPM above 2500 for 20 seconds in neutral; or something like that.  Maybe it was a different bike, but I think it was the Bird.  Not needed in this case since you know it works.

I suggest you not assume the gauge is wrong just because the fan comes on, test it.  You can use an infrared thermometer at the thermostat housing to get the actual coolant temp and compare that to what the gauge shows.  You can also test the fan switch with the thermometer to know it's coming on at the right temp, if it's not, replace it.

Edited by superhawk996

You have been getting good advice all along here, did I read that you had already replaced the thermostat, that leaves only two options, the coolant Temp. sensor or the gauge is at fault.

or there is a wiring problem, wire rubbed threw causing hi resistance to the gauge. And in a worst case scenario but a resistor at the temp sensor. so that it lies to you all the time.

4 hours ago, srideaux said:

that leaves only two options, the coolant Temp. sensor or the gauge is at fault.

or there is a wiring problem, wire rubbed threw causing hi resistance to the gauge. And in a worst case scenario but a resistor at the temp sensor. so that it lies to you all the time.

Or it's actually overheating and that feel good resistor leads to a melt-down.

7 hours ago, XXitanium said:

Sexy dash RXX

Thanks.... ;) 

When I replaced the thermostat and put in the Evans, I rewired the “bypass” fan switch so that I could manually start the fan should it not kick on automatically.  So, if the fan switch sensor is working as it should, it will cycle on its own.  Had I kept the bike and found the switch redundant, I would have removed it, but I sold it to RXX not too long after I fixed the thermostat issue.

I was told the XX ran hot, and it seems to nearly reach H before the fan kicks in.  I didn’t occur to me that (1) the thermostat sensor could be off, (2) the temperature gauge is off (similar issue with the fuel gauge that I resolved by wire brushing the mounting screws), or (3) the switch sensor kicks in on the hot side compared to normal.  I never could make the switch work in a “kitchen test” environment.  Either I never got the water hot enough (trying not to scald myself) or I wasn’t contacting the right parts of the switch to get a proper reading.

10 hours ago, CBR-RR-XX-CESS said:

Unrelated but what is that red thing left hand grip?

10 hours ago, CBR-RR-XX-CESS said:

Unrelated but what is that red thing left hand grip?

Yeah,  that is exactly what it is.