CBR1100XX.org Forum

WOW! 1997 1100XX FOR SALE only 13K original miles

I'm selling my beloved blackbird due to an obvious lack of riding time with only 13K original miles on her. I'm the original owner. Paid $12K back in the day. Asking price is well under half for the most amazing ride you'll ever have. I'll sacrifice at $4900 just to give her a good home so she can get on the road where she belongs (to be shown off). Just replaced brake and clutch fluid. New brakes. Mechanic's service manual included. Awesome bike! All reasonable offers will be considered.

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

Edited by cbrman97
Additional details added

When you get to under $3k, you might have takers.  That might even be pushing it.  Nicely upgraded bikes, with FI, sell around that range.  The low miles is probably not meaningful to any XX buyer, they last forever anyway.

All original? It appears so. If that's the case, there may be some collector interest since it's a '97 ('97 first years, '99 first FI w/ram air, and '03 last year in NA, tend to be the most collectible in NA). I passed this sale info on to some collectors. While the mileage is low (for an XX), if it's over 10K the (collector) interest diminishes appreciably. You should add contact info and consider multiple sale venues.

Getting $4900 is extremely unlikely, it would have to be a pretty unique buyer, but if you want any possible chance at it it'll have to be perfect and have many good photos showing that it's perfect.  At $3k it'll get some interest.

5 hours ago, silverbird1100 said:

I just paid $5350 for a mint '03 with 5000 miles.  Probably not worth more than 4K but I wanted it bad.  

There's a sucker born every minute and everything's worth what someone's willing to pay.  But more seriously, the newest model available in the US with super low miles like you bought probably has a bigger audience.

I have a love for the first year and am glad I have one again, but I wasn't gonna pay stupid money.  Who knows, he might find that guy willing to pay a premium, especially if it's the only one locally available.

Edited by superhawk996

2 hours ago, silverbird1100 said:

I envy those with the patience to sell high. I always throw in the towel after a week an give the damn things away.

Next time you're selling a vehicle hit me up on day 6.

I've gone both ways on holding out vs. getting out.  It usually hinges on a combination of: how much I'm into it, how much I like it, how much it's in the way, and how much I think it's worth.  If the potential buyer is a friend that'll usually change things.

For everyone commenting on my asking price: Nowhere in the ad does it say I won't accept a dollar less. Interested buyers are free to offer any amount they wish. If it's fair and I accept it, so be it. If it's ridiculously low and I reject it, so be it. A new CBR1000 has an msrp of $16,499. For someone looking for that level of performance with a chance to pay less than a 3rd of that price, I would hardly characterize my asking price as insanely high. I alone know the condition of this bike and the pristine care that it has had it's entire life. And if someone comes and takes a look, they'll know too. 

If I may, the guys commenting are trying to give us their honest opinion. You're a brand new member this board is kind of known for being a little bit of rough and tumble. Good luck with your sale.

Edited by XXitanium

XXitanium, I understand. That's why I gently clarified that my post does not say anything about being firm on the price. Interested buyers can offer any amount they wish. It's an awesome machine that can be had at a huge discount. Nothing outlandish about that. I don't mind other people having their own opinion. Thank you for your comment!

And I guess all your 'Whining' about my listed price gets a free pass because you think you're special. It's MY bike and I can determine MY price. If it doesn't sell, that's my concern not yours. A couple comments were meant to be helpful but certainly not all of them. Pretend all you want. 

Okay, now that is out of the way, here's the deal.

1. Any merchandise or legitimate service provided by the .org member can be listed.

2. Links to merchandising websites other than the purpose of illustration are prohibited. Referral links violate #1 above.

3. Essential discretion and courtesy to fellow member's posts are strongly encouraged.

4. Posts will be moderated and modified or deleted as deemed necessary by the moderating/administrative team.

5. The original poster of an ad may request a moderator to remove any replies they feel are unwarranted or inappropriate.

This is not the Pub. While a casual atmosphere is maintained throughout the website, it is important to note that the For Sale section is globally viewable. That means your family and coworkers can read what you post here. Light-hearted banter and technical discussion revolving around an item or service offered is completely acceptable. If you have issue or concern with the item/service in question, including authenticity, pricing, location, condition, or anything else, please take it to the original poster (OP) via PM or email, or if that fails, contact a moderator or administrator with your concerns before ultimately airing your concerns in the open thread.

• Like 1

I failed to follow our own rules.  My apologies, this section is not, indeed, Sparta.

I stand by all of my comments and think all comments in this thread are accurate.  Note that even I can be moderated, if the mod team feels like they should.

• Like 1

From the first post:  "I'll sacrifice at $4900"

To me that reads as tho you think you think it's worth more than that which means it's very unlikely you'd take much less.  I don't think anyone's intentionally insulted you, but maybe not clear with their intentions.  We're basically just informing you that it's unlikely to sell with that price tag on it.  Most of us think that it'll fetch a lot less than your asking price, close to half, and most people here wouldn't make that offer.  Since you're open to offers consider changing "sacrifice at $4900" to "$4900 OBO", but if you don't really care about selling it quickly do as you'd like.

3 hours ago, FiXXation said:

Okay, now that is out of the way, here's the deal.

1. Any merchandise or legitimate service provided by the .org member can be listed.

2. Links to merchandising websites other than the purpose of illustration are prohibited. Referral links violate #1 above.

3. Essential discretion and courtesy to fellow member's posts are strongly encouraged.

4. Posts will be moderated and modified or deleted as deemed necessary by the moderating/administrative team.

5. The original poster of an ad may request a moderator to remove any replies they feel are unwarranted or inappropriate.

This is not the Pub. While a casual atmosphere is maintained throughout the website, it is important to note that the For Sale section is globally viewable. That means your family and coworkers can read what you post here. Light-hearted banter and technical discussion revolving around an item or service offered is completely acceptable. If you have issue or concern with the item/service in question, including authenticity, pricing, location, condition, or anything else, please take it to the original poster (OP) via PM or email, or if that fails, contact a moderator or administrator with your concerns before ultimately airing your concerns in the open thread.

I also think that the For Sale section should be free of the Pub style treatment.  Like your Momma always said, If you don't have anything good to say..........

Thanks for the lively discussion everyone. Based on comments I've added clarification in my post that all reasonable offers will be considered. This will hopefully eliminate any confusion that I'm unwilling to negotiate price. Any buyer always has the right to determine what they feel is a fair offer just as any seller always has the right to either agree and accept the offer or disagree and reject it. As silverbird1100's post proves, there is no locked in "worth" that can be applied to every single bike. Every bike is worth what someone is willing to pay and silverbird1100 was willing to pay $5300 for something that would have been considered "worth" far less. But it wasn't. It was worth exactly $5300 since that was the price that was paid. I hope nobody here would criticize anyone for paying what they feel is fair based on their specific circumstances and reasons for wanting to own any specific item (bike, car, whatever). Good for you silverbird1100 for finding the ride you wanted and buying it for a price you were willing to accept to make it yours! None of us know what might motivate a potential buyer to be interested. Sometimes (often times) it's an emotional or nostalgic reason. Maybe it's purely convenience of being in the area. Maybe something else. I'm in no rush to sell my bird and simply put the ad up to see if anyone had interest since I feel it's a shame that the bike sits as much as it does. Some sellers are desperate for cash, again for a variety of reasons and that's ok. I'm not and that's ok too. I can wait to find "the right buyer", who has the right circumstances that makes them interested in making a fair offer I will accept - just as the person that sold their bird to silverbird1100 did. If the worst case scenario is I don't find a buyer and end up keeping it, I can live with that. I love that bike. Anyone else remember the sales video they came out with for the '97 release? The guy in all black racing across the salt flats? That video had me take my 600 Katana at the time straight to the dealer to trade. Dealers in my area wouldn't even let you test drive them first. But it was obvious the machine would not disappoint - and it hasn't. Something every bird owner has had the pleasure of finding out for themselves. Ride safe everyone!

6 hours ago, cbrman97 said:

Anyone else remember the sales video they came out with for the '97 release? The guy in all black racing across the salt flats? That video had me take my 600 Katana at the time straight to the dealer to trade.

Loved it and still have a tee shirt like it, "Here is kicking salt into a wound".

• Upvote 1