CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fuel Consumption

googus

I have searched around and fuel mileage varies a bit and it seems that around 150- 200 miles in the norm depending how heavy handed you are.

I am on my second tank now. Up to about 60-70miles my bars don’t go down much but after that it seems like every time I put the kickstand up I loose a bar. My last bar starts blinking at 140 miles.

The last time I filled it up was 161miles at 4.8 gallons ( took it to get gas as soon as it started to blink). This is all done 100% around town and very easy driving.

Just want to get some thoughts. By reading  other threads the pessimist side of me thinks I need a new fuel pressure regulator?

Thanks Greg

I've seen anywhere from 22 to 50+ MPG.  Gone 250 miles on a tank once, even with a little twisty riding.

I'm not understanding how a pressure regulator would change your fuel consumption without making the bike run like shit.

• Upvote 1

I am far from a guy who know how to wrench very well. It is something that I read on a thread somewhere that when they changed out the regulator they saw better MPG

Start with new vacuum lines. Just get generic line at Auto Zone, etc, cut to correct length and replace them all . You have to figure out ID of stock lines before heading to the store. It is gonna cost you like 2 bucks. Replace them piece by piece so you wont waste time trying to figure what goes where.

It is cheaper and quicker than  checking whether they are good or not.

Ecu on XX needs accurate pressure or vacuum reading from intake ports to operate properly under light load conditions. In heavy load area it is rpm and % of throttle opening system.  

• Upvote 1

I rarely see a FPR failure other than leaking into the vacuum hose.  You can check this by just pulling the hose off and turning the key on to create pressure.  On occasion they'll only leak when hot so if you see nothing cold try it after a ride.  When the one on my '01 failed it started out not obvious, just a little bit stumbly here & there and some slow starts, eventually it started running like shit as the FPR got worse.

• Upvote 1

If avaiable, try a couple of tanks of non ethanol gas and check mileage.

My 01. Gets much better mileage (2-3 mpg)  on good old gas.

As posted by others, my vacuum lines were cracking, and caused some problems too.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redxxrdr said:

If avaiable, try a couple of tanks of non ethanol gas and check mileage.

My 01. Gets much better mileage (2-3 mpg)  on good old gas.

As posted by others, my vacuum lines were cracking, and caused some problems too.  

Whether or not that fixes your problem, Craig is spot-on about the fuel increase. I just checked the Charlotte area on pure-gas.org (www.pure-gas.org) and there are a shit-bucket load of stations around there. No need for premium.

BTW, the gauges are very bike specific. My “new” bird’s readings vary drastically from my old one. Both 1999 FI’s. Expect 220 miles per tank, and thank Allah if you do better.

The blended gas has not been kind to your fuel lines, replacement is easy enough.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 9:22 AM, googus said:

The last time I filled it up was 161miles at 4.8 gallons ( took it to get gas as soon as it started to blink).

33.5 MPG around town doesn't seem like something to worry about.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

180 to 190 on average before blinking and even then got a gallon or so left. 

I think we have a winner.  I got 192 miles on a tank once in Colorado (hauling ass), but never more than 160 in KS riding like a grandpa.

Depends on my area of riding, this is all on 87 ethanol fuel.

Motorcycle trip with a buddy, 51mpg stock gearing, saddlebags, tail bag and my 240lb butt. 

Then also done 100 miles and had gauge blinking after a few strolls through the favorite mountain roads in 2nd gear. 

Really,.........MPG, who cares, if it starts and runs as it should and the lo fuel indicator get you safely to the next station. I am retired now but I was in the car business for over 40 years

so I road tested a lot of cars with customers, when I got into a Corvette, with a prospective buyer, if one of the questions was " what kind of mileage will it get " its more the ride than the economy I have even told them this may not be the car for you!  MPG never sold a Black Bird or a Corvette.........Just my 2 cents worth. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was just about to post a follow up.

Two tanks of none- ethanol 89 octane at   $2.89per gal. Both times went 15 or so miles when bar started to blink both times at 179miles and filled up with 4.8 gallons. A consistent 37miles to the gallon with more or less same riding conditions. That is an increase of 4mpg. The big question is it worth .80more a gallon.

I was looking at fuel milage on the site Fuelly and it seems that motorcycles, from 750 up to 1800"s get somewhere between 35 and 45 mpg

No matter what brand.

The only exception is the honda NC700 and 750 at 70mpg

Gotta be a conspiracy I tell Ya ! My sons Honda Fit gets 35 to 45.

Edited by OMG

12 hours ago, googus said:

I was just about to post a follow up.

Two tanks of none- ethanol 89 octane at   $2.89per gal. Both times went 15 or so miles when bar started to blink both times at 179miles and filled up with 4.8 gallons. A consistent 37miles to the gallon with more or less same riding conditions. That is an increase of 4mpg. The big question is it worth .80more a gallon.

Easy math, it costs you 1.5 pennies more per mile to use the 'better' gas.

Edited by superhawk996

10 hours ago, OMG said:

Gotta be a conspiracy I tell Ya ! My sons Honda Fit gets 35 to 45.

Just a guess, but I'll bet the Fit doesn't make 130hp/liter or do 0-60 in under 4 seconds.

1 minute ago, superhawk996 said:

Just a guess, but I'll bet the Fit doesn't make 130hp/liter or do 0-60 in under 4 seconds.

True

But what difference should that make? The amount of energy required to move an object should be the same or similar regardless of the power potential.

And that is something that has always puzzled me, Blackbird 35mpg - Harley 35 mpg - Honda Fit 35mpg

Drag racing - well, that's different.