CBR1100XX.org Forum

XX finally let me down, suggestions?

redxxrdr

On 7/12/2019 at 12:40 PM, redxxrdr said:

This I know.  And was doing at the time.

I had also performed, and posted about performing planned maintenance on the fuel and ignition, just a few months ago.

It was amazing how much crap came out of that tumbler

The key that broke was a locksmith made extra.

But the one that I used most often.

The OEM turns the ignition easier than the one that broke.  Wear or poor duplicate?  Who knows?

I'm just lucky that it broke close to home.

It is a simple procedure to open the lock and remove the disk tumblers. This leaves you with a stock looking gas cap lock which can be opened easily with the key or any other blade.

• Upvote 1

I had two duplicates made of my previous XX keys, and both were harder to use then OEM.  One was from some shitty random place, the other from a locksmith shop.  Same shit.  They were made from my unused OEM spare key, before I started using it since the other was wearing out.

I'd never given thought to the fact that bikes come with keyed gas caps and cars don't.  The only logic I can think of is that cars have anti-syphon devices and bikes don't.

1 hour ago, Zero Knievel said:

Cars now have security latches on the fuel doors.

Mostly true, but a couple of our fleet cars now have a door that you just push to open, and when it does, the gas cap is attached to it and the fueling pipe is ready to roll.

Weird, and I was surprised.

On 7/12/2019 at 2:47 PM, SwampNut said:

And sugar is not soluble in gasoline, I think that hole thing is a myth.

It is, however, soluble in ethanol.

People who aren't idiots and don't want to attract dirt and garbage into their locks, I guess.  And since WD isn't a lubricant, I suppose also people who don't want to make a small problem worse. 

13 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Honestly, who DOESN’T shoot some WD-40 into both locks every now and then to prevent this from happening?

Me.  Because I think that doing so would be stupid.  I don't recall any lock manufacturer or locksmith advising to use WD40, and many have specifically stated to never do it.

Then there's those who tout using the stuff on everything including chains so maybe there is something magical about the stuff.

8 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Me.  Because I think that doing so would be stupid.  I don't recall any lock manufacturer or locksmith advising to use WD40, and many have specifically stated to never do it.

Then there's those who tout using the stuff on everything including chains so maybe there is something magical about the stuff.

Well...lube or something (graphite?).  You do nothing and dirt and stuff gets in there.

1 hour ago, Zero Knievel said:

Well...lube or something (graphite?).  You do nothing and dirt and stuff gets in there.

Lube can't prevent dirt & stuff from getting in there.  It can make the dirt & stuff stick in there.

and many have specifically stated to never do it.

I'm sure many do.  I can tell you that both Kryptonite and Xena mention it as a warranty-cancelling usage.

Lock-safe lubes are NOT graphite, or anything that stays "wet."  I posted one already, which I've used for close to ten years.  The one bottle still isn't empty, and I use it on locks, knives, cigar cutters, and anything like that which needs fine, clean motion.  You can use any number of dry lubes on locks safely.  If you're paranoid there are a few small-can options that specifically say "locks" on them.

For lubing locks, use Tri-Flow or powdered teflon.  I have a 20 year old pad lock on my shed (out in the weather) that is still as smooth as the day I bought it.  I may have put some WD-40 in it in the early years, but only Tri-flow in the last 10.  Probably only lubed it 5 times total.  I guess it really doesn't see as much use as a gas cap lock, but still.........

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

Famously, not pieces of shit like Jeeps that lack even the most basic modern upgrades.

I'm not aware of any other car without it however.

None of my current cars have a latching gas lid.  The Porsche ('79 928) came with a locking cap from the factory, none of the others came with any security.

I've had dozens of vehicles and most had nothing.  Most of the Hondas and I think all of the Volvos I've had had latching lids.  Cars are said to have anti syphon devices in the filler tube, I think most or all of those are actually anti-spray devices so if you open the cap with a pressurized tank you don't get a gas bath.  Gas powered Excursions have it, my diesel doesn't.  Diesels have vented tanks so they don't develop pressure like gassers can.  If the device was really to protect against fuel theft my 44 gallons of diesel should be protected at least as well as 10 gallon gassers.

My 2017 Nissan Frontier has neither a locked gas door or cap.  Not sure about anything down in the fill neck.  My wife's 2015 Altima has a latched door, with a release lever inside.

It's amazing the differences in the actual operation of controls between the two vehicles.  Almost like they were different makes.

I don't know of any trucks or SUVs that have filler security, but many cars and all bikes do.  I'd love to know if there's a logical reason for the disparity.