CBR1100XX.org Forum

XX finally let me down, suggestions?

redxxrdr

Key broke off in the gas cap.

GEisme3 Bill is going to get me to a spare key.

So what is the best way to get to the key?

I figure remove tank and pump to access the bottom locking wedges.  Then pull cap and take it to a lock Smith.

Any better ideas?

Not yet.

Still at station. Waiting for daughter to bring me a spare key, so that I can ride it home.

On a better note, I just got a text from my son.  On a plane, leaving his deployment in afganistan.

I'll go to Harbor Freight today and get some picks.

Thanks

• Like 1

I've extracted a few keys with a pick.  Two picks, one on each end of the key, often works better.

As for removing the assembly, I don't think you'll need to remove the tank.  If the piece of key is in the right position you should be able to turn it with a screwdriver or other tool to open it.  It might be worth trying this before trying to extract the key in case you can't get it out.  Trying to extract might move it out of position forcing tank removal.  The piece of key might be able to move further in, not sure if it bottoms out on the key tip or the 'flat' near the key handle, so be careful with the screwdriver.

8 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

I've extracted a few keys with a pick.  Two picks, one on each end of the key, often works better.

As for removing the assembly, I don't think you'll need to remove the tank.  If the piece of key is in the right position you should be able to turn it with a screwdriver or other tool to open it.  It might be worth trying this before trying to extract the key in case you can't get it out.  Trying to extract might move it out of position forcing tank removal.  The piece of key might be able to move further in, not sure if it bottoms out on the key tip or the 'flat' near the key handle, so be careful with the screwdriver.

I have seen this done as well, instead of using a screwdriver what about the broken off key base as the screwdriver?
If all else fails just take the whole bike to the locksmith or have a mobile locksmith stop by and extract the key remains.  Don't waste time with the tank removal.

• Upvote 1

Mike

You are correct.  Any trip of distance , I carry two keys.

I haven't ridden in months, and got out of practice.

Kirsten took off from work and brought me one of my OEM keys.

Once home, a set of Kline close cutters grabbed and removed the broken part easily.

Thanks for the ideas

This is the second time that the bike has let me down in 18 years.

First was a 3 in slit in my rear tire.

Now this.

POS Honda.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, redxxrdr said:

This is the second time that the bike has let me down in 18 years.

First was a 3 in slit in my rear tire.

Now this.

POS Honda.

That implies that your tool strap is intact.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If I leave town, I carry a spare key, in every vehicle.  In town, nah.

Sounds like the lock might have been getting hard to turn?  I use TUF Glide in locks (and a bunch of other things), doesn't attract dirt, makes them buttery smooth.

17 minutes ago, DBLXX said:

I just leave a key in all the time.  

I have not taken the key out of any of my cars/bikes in I can't think of how many years.  You want it...take it.

Key in the ignition, doors unlocked, regardless where it's parked?

7 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

For a while, not sure now, it was SOP in NYC to leave your doors unlocked.  Otherwise they'd break a window just to see if you had something to steal.

I did the same thing with my 1961 VW convertible during my south Florida days.  

Plus steering and shifter lock 

Top and interior parts are too hard to find on almost 60 year old cars.

3 hours ago, SwampNut said:

For a while, not sure now, it was SOP in NYC to leave your doors unlocked.  Otherwise they'd break a window just to see if you had something to steal.

3 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Someone cut the top on my old Triumph to steal some shit, when the doors were unlocked.

I had a buddy that lived in Chicago that got tired of having a $150 window broken to steal a $20 stereo, so he started leaving it unlocked. They still broke the fucking window, and this was back when you could see the lock popped up just by looking through the window you're about to break.

Ive experianced that problem before. Fuck that shit.

Very first thing I do on new to me motorcycle is to replace oem fuel lock with keyless chineasum assembly from ebay. Vortex race style. 20 some bucks.

When gas prices went up, gas theft was common and locking cap sales skyrocketed.  I have no idea why they are on bikes, since there's so little to steal.  And sugar is not soluble in gasoline, I think that hole thing is a myth.

This seems like a stupid question, but I assume everyone knows you need to push down on the cap before turning the key?  Otherwise you're using the key to scrub the locking lugs against the ring.

49 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

This seems like a stupid question, but I assume everyone knows you need to push down on the cap before turning the key?  Otherwise you're using the key to scrub the locking lugs against the ring.

This I know.  And was doing at the time.

I had also performed, and posted about performing planned maintenance on the fuel and ignition, just a few months ago.

It was amazing how much crap came out of that tumbler

The key that broke was a locksmith made extra.

But the one that I used most often.

The OEM turns the ignition easier than the one that broke.  Wear or poor duplicate?  Who knows?

I'm just lucky that it broke close to home.