CBR1100XX.org Forum

warning on dry break fuel disconnects

ptxyz

if they’re the motion pro plastic ones, replace them at once!

i’d been smelling fuel in the garage the past day but, couldn’t isolate it.  also smelled some while riding the bird to and from work today.  lifted the tank and found the culprit.

these were purchased new from ebay, marketed as specifically for the fuel injected bird and installed only 3 years ago...

IMG_2820.thumb.jpeg.f0d7627a4897d0bf3ccd2c2608469d02.jpeg

anyone know where to find metal replacements?

Edited by ptxyz
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

thanks very much for that link and the detailed write up.  i'm inquiring with these guys 1st;

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/fuliqudise.html

i see what i need in 2 different kits there but, will see if they can substitute a 1/4" straight connector for the 5/16".

it's somewhat ironic that the low pressure return line is the one that failed...

38 minutes ago, ptxyz said:

it's somewhat ironic that the low pressure return line is the one that failed...

Maybe just luck, or maybe there was some force put on the connector that tweaked it.  There's a fair bit of heat there so if the connector was under some pressure from the hose routing it may have deformed it.  The return runs hotter than the supply line.

10 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

I'm pretty sure Suzuki and Yamaha use plastic quick connects on their bikes, and there's no epidemic of burned up Suzi/Yammi videos on youtube. 

You don't' remember when busas were catching fire left and right?  I don't remember what caused it though.  I crashed a busa party and two of about ten bikes there had fire damage.

Yamaha does have quick connects iirc, but they are 90 deg types, at the fuel tank, can`t really adopt those on anything else.

I never had any issues. 

Going back to O.P. That is return, low pressure line. Interesting it leaks there, but not on high pressure side.

Edited by tomek

i have a 5/16" straight and 1/4" 90 degree (straight no available) on order from that link, i'll update once they're installed.

excellent & prompt customer service through the site.

• 2 weeks later...

got these installed yesterday.  found the low pressure 1/4" hose was in need of replacement, it ripped while i was pulling it off the metal bodied fuel filter i'd been using to connect...  probably coulda used the 90 degree on the high pressure side was well.

very high quality, hefty parts.  i'd imagine one could easily break a window.

replaced the cam chain tensioner and fuel pressure regulator "while i was in there", bike's running more smoothly and quietly now.

intended to check / clean the wax unit but, started to strip one of the screws trying to remove the darn thing...  decided to leave well enough alone and go for a test ride.

IMG_2838.JPG

IMG_2836.JPG

IMG_2837.JPG

Geisme3. Bill has a 2001 k1200rs.

We were riding, and his fuel mileage went to shot.

At one fill up, he started in front of us.

I noticed that his right leg was being sprayed with fuel.

Plastic disconnects, cracked.  His bike did not fall into the known serials with failures.bmw wouldn't replace them. So he replaced them with a solid , barbed fitting.

On the RS, you didn't need to pull the tank often, so this was a cheap, quick, fix

Edited by redxxrdr