CBR1100XX.org Forum

De-linking brakes

Dotetcher

On 8/20/2022 at 2:24 PM, SwampNut said:

I've ridden two delinked bikes and they felt different from each other.  And in both cases, I felt like I had *less* control and feedback all around.  Do not recommend.

If you are doing track days, or you're just a very aggressive canyon rider, I recommend the de-link.  Otherwise, don't bother unless you really need new brake lines and don't want to spend a fortune for the whole kit, or a lot of time bleeding the system.

Having owned an XX, ST1300 and now a non-linked ABS fj-09 my vote is FIRMLY with non-linked ABS.

My XX  never gave me a lick of trouble in the 85k Miles I had it.  The linked part was mostly transparent and unnoticeable.

The ST is almost exactly the same system EXCEPT the secondary MC is upside down from the XX. BIG mistake. rain, washing etc. runs down and corrodes the bore causing a dragging rear brake.  Lots of problems with that on the forums. 

I enlarged the drain hole in mine and squirted oil periodically into mine. Never a prob. for 65k miles. VERY elaborate, PITA bleeding procedure though.

Now with my FJ, super simple bleeding and ABS is the way to go. I'll come into wet grass and hammer the brakes and no drama, just stops with a light vibe felt.

4 hours ago, jon haney said:

or you're just a very aggressive canyon rider, I recommend the de-link.

That's me, and I recommend against it.

I only ever went to pipe scraping though, not any farther.

F8A751CF-613C-4F4C-B00C-0409DA5A6BFC_1_105_c.jpeg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SwampNut said:

That's me, and I recommend against it.

I only ever went to pipe scraping though, not any farther.

F8A751CF-613C-4F4C-B00C-0409DA5A6BFC_1_105_c.jpeg

Absolutely horrible novice-like body position, I'm shocked you are still alive.

Edited by tomek

11 hours ago, tomek said:

I'm shocked you are still alive.

I'm not. God has a plan for him. He has not completed it yet.

13 hours ago, fizzy said:

Is that because he's leaning to the right?

If I had to explain to you would not understand.

That kind of body position is dominating in Novice class. I mean it is ok to ride like that at moderate pace but when pushing hard you are asking for the front to close up.

Back to the subject, I would not de-link for any street riding.

Linked brakes will become an issue during very aggressive braking before corner entry (wheel hop, etc), but that kind of riding should be reserved for race track anyway.

Edited by tomek
  • Upvote 1

Swamp's riding style reminds me of guy in pic below. 1950's

FYI we are in 2020's.

Time stands still for some.

Sad.

john-surtees-agusta-mv.jpg

Edited by tomek

1 hour ago, tomek said:

If I had to explain to you would not understand.

That kind of body position is dominating in Novice class. I mean it is ok to ride like that at moderate pace but when pushing hard you are asking for the front to close up.

Back to the subject, I would not de-link for any street riding.

Linked brakes will become an issue during very aggressive braking before corner entry (wheel hop, etc), but that kind of riding should be reserved for race track anyway.

"If I had to explain to you would not understand."   tomek

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” ― Albert Einstein.
  • Upvote 1

LOL, again, don't feed the troll.  You can't tell fuck-all from a dark picture of black leather taken at 90 on an old 2MP digital camera.  On the tenth or more run of the same corner trying every possible angle to improve it on each run.

I'm just already dead and don't know it.

6 minutes ago, fizzy said:

"If I had to explain to you would not understand."   tomek

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” ― Albert Einstein.

Well, picture is worth 1000 words. But, apparently, only for some.

5 hours ago, SwampNut said:

LOL, again, don't feed the troll.  You can't tell fuck-all from a dark picture of black leather taken at 90 on an old 2MP digital camera.  On the tenth or more run of the same corner trying every possible angle to improve it on each run.

I'm just already dead and don't know it.

When a joke comes across my desk, my mission is to crack it.  Once in a while, one will  stick to someone's funny bone.  It's as simple as that. 

I know you tried and failed to give me advice, thanks for trying. Now its my turn

"Not necessary to explain yourself."

Quote:  Never explain, never complain.  Henry Ford

7 hours ago, tomek said:

Swamp's riding style reminds me of guy in pic below. 1950's

FYI we are in 2020's.

Time stands still for some.

Sad.

john-surtees-agusta-mv.jpg

It's a good thing Carlos didn't know how to go through turns faster.  I saw what he did to tires and I don't know how far past melted and blued they can go without disintegrating.

13 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

It's a good thing Carlos didn't know how to go through turns faster.  I saw what he did to tires and I don't know how far past melted and blued they can go without disintegrating.

The idea is to go fast and not to kill tires. The idea is to go fast and not to scrape the shit out of exhaust.

If you sit straight up on the bike like it is 1950 again, you will overload/ overheat the edge of the tire, and you will scrape the shit out of exhaust.