CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front Sprocket Noise & Wear Marks

Stillridin

About 3k ago I installed new drive which included an oem front sprocket and RK 50 XS01 chain. I recently noticed a new noise coming from the drive, especially when pushing the bike without the motor running. The front sprocket seems to have an integral sideplate similar to a large, thick washer. The shoulder of the sprocket's sideplate shows wear marks all around its circumference where the bottom edge of each103182201_20190608_112341copy.thumb.jpg.c1ab529800a9505771526f4d50ecf9f6.jpg link's sideplate appears to make contact before the chain roller bottoms on the sprocket. Otherwise, there's no abnormal wear or performance.

Anybody else experienced this? Since these indentations aren't present in online photos of a new sprocket, they seem to have been caused by contact with the chain.  Do I have a faulty sprocket, an RK chain that's incompatible with the Bird's drive somehow or . . . ? Any suggestions or hard earned wisdom for how I should proceed would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have the part# any longer, but the front sprocket from a VFR750 is a 16 tooth, is a direct fit, and gives the benefit of of a little shorter gearing , you wont be disappointed. 

I looked at a couple photos of used ones on ebay and one appeared to have similar marks, but none of the photos were very clear.

Are they wear marks or just clean spots?  Hard to tell for sure.

That's normal wear.  The big "green washer" is what Honda calls a noise dampener.  I works, too versus a non-damped after-market sprocket.  If you're hearing an abnormal or just louder noise when just pushing the bike, perhaps your chain is a little too tight, or your rear wheel is out of alignment?  Or worse yet, the sprocket bolt is loose.

Edited by jon haney