CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cyclops led lighting replacement

Cyclops led lighting   The new 'cree' emitters are dang bright. I installed the h4 kit in my supermoto and DAMN is it bright. Its a little white/blue in compare to the older h4, and it cuts thru the night like a blade. Just gotta be sure to aim them properly, so you arent a total asshat to the others on the street. Made in USA and shipped damn fast.

youtube has video about the patterns for the drz400. Im seeing the low beam to be very wide, with a definite cut at the top, to stay out of rear view mirrors. The high beam is just a knock your eyes out down the middle type beam. Im guessing the lens and reflector pattern may be different for different bikes? I can see twice as far now, easily. I think its a combo of color and brightness that makes it seem to cut further.  Made in USA helped me choose for sure. The 'cree' emitters are now the brightest led's on the marker. I think the indoor plant market is using them now too.

Edited by Hooplehead

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

As in showing the beam patterns?  Or...???

That and how it's an improvement over OEM.  I don't see anything promoting why I would want to buy it.

14 hours ago, SwampNut said:

If you don't know why you would want to buy LEDs, you're not qualified to buy them.

They don’t seem to be marketing WHY I would want to buy them or buy theirs compared to a competitor.

22 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

They don’t seem to be marketing WHY I would want to buy them or buy theirs compared to a competitor.

Just don't because then you'll have canbus problems. 

Cyclops are the shit, I just wish I wasn't such a cheap bastard, because I'd buy a set. 

3 hours ago, JoWhee said:

Just don't because then you'll have canbus problems. 

Cyclops are the shit, I just wish I wasn't such a cheap bastard, because I'd buy a set. 

Well, the make the HexCam and EZCam modules for that.

It’s like when I got the HID systems for the XX.  I thought of HIDs for a while, but DDM (and the reviews from others who bought it) made me realize it was worth the coin.  Only deficiency was too much glare on low beam that was fixed by a member here who fabricated a shield to resolve the problem.

I’ll look at the site again, but I was looking for a page that illustrates what their LEDs will do compared to stock to entice someone to buy the product.

6 hours ago, JoWhee said:

try google, there are hundreds if not thousands of videos comparing hid/led/halogen headlight(s) and bulbs. 

I think he's just trying to criticize the marketing/site for Cyclops, not actually get an answer.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SwampNut said:

I think he's just trying to criticize the marketing/site for Cyclops, not actually get an answer.

This.  I prefer the seller to make the case for their product rather than depend on others to do it for them.  Seems odd that they didn't bother to do that considering the work they put into the web page.

59 minutes ago, JoWhee said:

So, you 've never heard of Snap-on? Some products don't need millions of dollars in marketing. 

Yes...the tools made from the tears of Chuck Norris and unobtainium.  Not exactly positive marketing.  No complaints on quality but cost is another matter.

Normally, when a website is trying to sell a product, they have pages showing the product, side by side comparisons to OEM equipment, etc., and then there’s the sales section.  If they want to rely on someone getting their product and selling it to their friends by word of mouth, fine...but they should be marketing on their own website.  That’s not a huge investment.

I contacted these people about application on the RS.  They don’t know if it will or won’t fit as they don’t have a definitive chart.  Sometimes some “adaptation” is needed on an install, sometimes not.  At least they were honest on this.  So, unless another RS owner has done it, the only smart move is go to a show where they are doing installs and let them have a go.  I can’t know when buying if it will be worth the money and hassle.

• 3 months later...
On 6/11/2019 at 8:17 AM, Zero Knievel said:

Yes...the tools made from the tears of Chuck Norris and unobtainium.  Not exactly positive marketing.  No complaints on quality but cost is another matter.

Normally, when a website is trying to sell a product, they have pages showing the product, side by side comparisons to OEM equipment, etc., and then there’s the sales section.  If they want to rely on someone getting their product and selling it to their friends by word of mouth, fine...but they should be marketing on their own website.  That’s not a huge investment.

I contacted these people about application on the RS.  They don’t know if it will or won’t fit as they don’t have a definitive chart.  Sometimes some “adaptation” is needed on an install, sometimes not.  At least they were honest on this.  So, unless another RS owner has done it, the only smart move is go to a show where they are doing installs and let them have a go.  I can’t know when buying if it will be worth the money and hassle.

Has this come out since you talked to them?

https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/Pro-Kit-for-BMW-R1200GS-R1200GSA-1250GS-2013-Newer_p_213.html

No.  I believe it was already there and the GS headlamps are distinctly different.  So, maybe it will work...maybe it won’t.  Other RS lamp options often require modifications (e.g., cutting up OEM parts) for fitting.  The DDM HID kit I put on the XX required no modification that could not be completely reversed.