CBR1100XX.org Forum

Mounting and wiring Old zumo 550

googus

Hey guys on my last Blackbird I had a screw type ride that went through the neck of the bike. I don’t remember the size or length. 

Also, I think I tapped to the brake light for power. But I am not sure what color I tapped into.

Does anyone have information on this?

Should, I dump Zumo and just use my phone? My helmet is hardwired specifically for the Zumo.

thank you 

I can't tell you what you "should" do, but I haven't used a dedicated GPS on a bike in a very long time.  It takes too much work to use, no voice control, etc.

How is a helmet hardwired for some specific device?  It's just audio.

IMG_0086.jpg

This is the male end to the helmet. The Zumo cradle has a female end two 3.5mm jacks to plus into the cradle. Company name is TecStar

89960F74-A06F-41C3-99F7-4A0FC8396F74.jpeg

4A1A39B6-5703-46C1-A564-2995AB8FFBF3.jpeg

I never used the audio from my 550 on the bike. All the time with the car mount.

For the bike install, I used the ball mount that came on the GPS packaging.

I drilled and tapped the ball mount. For 1/4 20 threads. I had that size all thread on hand.  Next, I removed the rubber plug from the top of the triple tree and lowered the all thread / ball mount into the hole.

Pad the top of the fender to avoid scratching. Better yet remove fender.

Measure the excess length of all thread sticking from the bottom of

the tripple, then cut to allow a little of the all thread to show below the bottom.  Remember to have a nut installed to chase the threads of the all thread before cutting.

I also filed the bottom of the ball mount to match the square hole of the triple.

A 1/4 in deepwell socket worked well to tighten the nut on the all thread below the triple.

Edited by redxxrdr
  • Like 1