CBR1100XX.org Forum

Plugs

kiwimack

Have to get new sparkplugs for the 03, where are they available, I got 4 from amazon but the top wouldn't come off.

By top I assume you mean the terminal on the plug where the boot slides on; if it's the right plug it should be threaded, but some plugs have a permanent large top post.  If the top is hollow in the center they're screw-on, it the tip is solid they're not screw-on.  Which do you you have, and if hollow, did you try pliers?  And what brand & number plugs are they?

Edited by superhawk996

In my 01 Bird I have been running NGK iridium plugs for over 15 years, they are a direct fit with threaded terminals. ( Be advised NGK dose not show a Plug for your 03 ) in there current online catalogue.  

Any plug that fits an XX fits an XX.

I find it comical that so many different sources list so many different plugs, and even Honda changed specs.

But they never changed any part of the actual spark generating system. 

The only purpose of iridium coating on either electrode is to reduce wear.  They don't reduce fouling, and that's typically one of the two reasons 98% of people change plugs.  The other reason is "because they can."   The iridium plugs will foul just like any other plug, and cost 3x as much.  If you change your plugs every 10-15k miles, what's the point in iridium?

I use plain old plugs in most of the XX's, and have no problems

Any tire that fits an XX fits an XX, and using that as the decision maker is about as smart as installing any plug that fits it.  If my Bird, or any other engine I own, fouled the plugs before they wore out I'd be digging in to find/fix the cause since that shouldn't happen.

Iridiums made my bike start & run better and many others report the same.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2019 at 2:38 PM, superhawk996 said:

Any tire that fits an XX fits an XX, and using that as the decision maker is about as smart as installing any plug that fits it.  If my Bird, or any other engine I own, fouled the plugs before they wore out I'd be digging in to find/fix the cause since that shouldn't happen.

Iridiums made my bike start & run better and many others report the same.

A fresh set of plugs will often improve starting and running, but like rock said, the iridium (or platinum) was added to reduce the rate of erosion of the electrode.

since changing plugs on the ‘bird is a pain, I use platinum coated plugs. On my bikes with more accessible plugs I just get plugs with steel electrodes.

The first time I used iridiums was in my Superhawk 996.  It had around 6k miles, plugs looked fine and it ran fine, but after reading a few people boasting improvements from switching I put a set in.  My assumption is that because they have such a thin center electrode there's greater exposure allowing for a better burn.  With rare exception, I don't see a reason to not use the longest lasting plugs available.

I've seen a few cases of an engine running noticeably different with different types of plugs, some plugs that work great in one engine suck in another.  A spark plug has one simple job, yet they can do mysterious stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

People replace X brand worn out tire with Y brand brand new tire and automatically proclaim Y brand being way better. Lol.

Same scenerio when they switch from X type of spark plug to Z type. Lol.

• Upvote 1

I've experimented with tires and spark plugs back to back and different ones can make a big difference whether new or used.

Before Splitfire spark plugs existed I made a set for my Mustang and it was pretty obvious they worked better than the normal plugs.  That was a 351 Cleveland with 2V open chamber heads, engines with more efficient designs might not change as much.

• Upvote 1

The tire issue is because you replaced a worn out tire with a brand new.. hopefully it does feel better. 

Buddy gave me shit 2 weeks ago for changing my xx plugs, He whined that it was a waste of money and a bunch of shit based on changing plugs in cars at longer intervals than bikes. 

This past Saturday at the gap his bike was stumbling, burning rich and asked me to help him fix it. 

19,700 miles, origional plugs were the reason. 

3 were way long over due and 1 so bad off it couldn't be firing. Corroded and rusty. I let him borrow my xx to go pick up new plugs. Then read his text messages back to him and friends that were nice enough to watch us and not leave us. 

7 hours ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

Quick search on kawi website had 

check/gap or replace 7,500/15,000/24,000/30,000 and add 6,000 for all mileage above 30,000

damn.. 

I’m pretty sure  that was written before platinum and then iridium plugs were commonplace.