CBR1100XX.org Forum

Playing around with a radar detector

RXX

My Beltronics RD has a serious design flaw. It uses a 4 wire phone jack for power and I guess other stuff, then it has a mono speaker jack. I have always thought this is retarded, there are 2 things to unplug when removing it.

If I could put the two in a single jack, like maybe a CAT-5 thing a ma jig, and have it as sort of a pigtail, I could more easliy unhook it.

A CAT 5 wire should easily be the right-ish amp/current/relgious preference to do this, right?

Thinking about it critically makes my head hurt, but it seems loke it should work, right?

19 minutes ago, RXX said:

A CAT 5 wire should easily be the right-ish amp/current/relgious preference to do this, right?

Not even close.  But...

19 minutes ago, RXX said:

but it seems loke it should work, right?

Absolutely, at the short distances we're talking about.  You really want stranded wire, which is the normal type used in patch cables, not the solid that's used in walls.  If you want some connectors and shit I can send you some, but then you would need tools.  So I'm not sure what you're doing, but if you think you can draw it out I can make it and mail it.

Oh, and you might want shielded to prevent noise, maybe.  Might not matter.

Stop breaking the fucking law and you won't need the damn thing!

Curious why you remove it so frequently that the two jacks is an issue.

8 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Curious why you remove it so frequently that the two jacks is an issue.

It is mounted on a magnetic base for ease in removal. The unit is mounted high and is very visible. That lends itself to sticky fingers. I 

have used one for years and it would require less fiddling when I get off the bike. The telephone jack in particular is more difficult to remove since it has that tiny tab on it. 

I have a screamer unit on the bike and it requires being connected via the audio jack. As much as anything, I hate the lack of feng shui exhibited by the designer.

8 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Absolutely, at the short distances we're talking about.  (Yes, about 6 inches which isn’t really that short, I have never heard a complaint)You really want stranded wire, which is the normal type used in patch cables, not the solid that's used in walls. ( I can do that) If you want some connectors and shit I can send you some, but then you would need tools.  (My pharmacy tech is set up with tools, I think, I will ax him first so as not to trouble you) So I'm not sure what you're doing, but if you think you can draw it out I can make it and mail it.

Oh, and you might want shielded to prevent noise, maybe.  Might not matter. (I can get shielded)

8 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Stop breaking the fucking law and you won't need the damn thing!

Not gonna happen. That unit has saved me so much money it is stupid. The bird is just so awesomely overpowered these little 35-40 mph roads are almost impossible to ride on responsibly.

2 hours ago, RXX said:

Not gonna happen.

🤣 Right answer.

I'm a bit shocked I haven't been stopped for speeding in so many years.  I don't know how much of it is luck, awareness, or just not doing it in the 'wrong' places.  I really 'should' have a detector since I'm usually in the top 95%+ speed on the road, but maybe those couple faster people are the ones attracting the attention.

The other day in the Excursion I was running late to meet someone and I got stuck behind a tampon in the fast lane.  When I finally got a reasonable opening I got on it a bit to pass quickly without messing with other people.  Suddenly I notice the speedo crossing 100 and pulling pretty nicely for a 4 ton brick in overdrive....it felt so good it's scary.

Sounds like you're good to go on your experiment.  I did something similar, but can't remember the details.  I used a more appropriate, but maybe not "better," three-pair shielded wire and a Molex connector.  But your idea is fine.  Run the pairs of a function on a twisted pair.  So audio on the green/white and white/green, power on orange/white and white/orange, etc.

6 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

The other day in the Excursion I was running late to meet someone and I got stuck behind a tampon in the fast lane.  When I finally got a reasonable opening I got on it a bit to pass quickly without messing with other people.  Suddenly I notice the speedo crossing 100 and pulling pretty nicely for a 4 ton brick in overdrive....it felt so good it's scary.

Cops would be able to see that radar signature 3 miles away.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a magnet mount a number of years ago. hit a big pothole with enough force to launch the radar detector off the bike. It ended up quite a ways down the interstate in the third lane. Played human frogger but got it back. Bought a new 12 volt connection (passport 8500) and switched to velcro. Never had another problem.