CBR1100XX.org Forum

Gas Tank Question

RXX

I am working on my tank right now. By right now I mean for the last few months. The interior had a bunch of shit in it that I have pretty much cleaned out. Thing is, it will prolly be at least a month before I get it installed and filled up. 

Is there something innocuous and cheap I can coat the inside with to keep it patent? WD-40? Mineral oil? Thin motor oil? 

Aircraft tubing is protected internally with linseed oil.

I suspect that it would dilute in gasoline, when you get ready to use it.

Or how about a small lamp, like those from a Christmas tree or nightlight.

Drop it in, turn it on. Low , constant , heat should keep the tank dry.

I used higher wattage bulbs in my catermaran hulls to dry them off season.

Edited by redxxrdr
  • Upvote 1

Empty in the gun safe which has a dryer in it.  Or if it is hot and dry in the attic, that might be OK.  Like said, the light bulb is a good idea also.  I wouldn't trust the bare metal not to rust if you don't live in CA or AZ.

4 hours ago, RXX said:

I am working on my tank right now. By right now I mean for the last few months. The interior had a bunch of shit in it that I have pretty much cleaned out. Thing is, it will prolly be at least a month before I get it installed and filled up. 

Is there something innocuous and cheap I can coat the inside with to keep it patent? WD-40? Mineral oil? Thin motor oil? 

XX tank? Was it rusty? If you etched it to remove rust add a little premix and slosh it around. Even without being full the vapors will protect it. Skip using ethanol and use pure gas.

Thanks for the help guys.

8 hours ago, XXitanium said:

Why a month? A month shouldn't hurt it. 

My bikes sit over winter with no problems. Are you considering Por-15 at all?

7 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Or anything because it's only a month.

Well, by a month, I guess I mean up to 4 or 6. I get sidetracked easily and often. And yes, I thought about coating the inside, but jesus on a cracker, 85,000 miles, 20 years old, bike worth maybe $1200, why? I won’t be riding in 10 years. But tell me your experiences. I did it to a sportster about 30 years ago and do not remember anything about it.

4 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

XX tank? Was it rusty? If you etched it to remove rust add a little premix and slosh it around. Even without being full the vapors will protect it. Skip using ethanol and use pure gas.

Yes, on my ‘99. It had an awful lot of what I assume is varnish. I have the fuel pump off, and can reach in there. I got a big speaker magnet in there and it did come out coated with rust, so I assume the shit left inside is the remains of all the negative karma that has flowed from me while riding to be bottled up there. Maybe I should leave it there, like Dorian Gray’s portrait.

I vacuumed it out and am going to put a couple pounds of BBs in it to break up the rest.

1 hour ago, XXitanium said:

I try to run only non-ethenol gas in my bikes.

I keep a couple bottles of Stabil around also.

Same here except for the Stabil

13 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

Did you se the CL add?

Yes. Jackson would be cclose to 8 hour round trip. I have BBS. Plus, they are round.

BBs, being small & round, will be very slow at cleaning.  And they're small enough to get into fittings/hoses so if you use them be sure they all get out.

6 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

BBs, being small & round, will be very slow at cleaning.  And they're small enough to get into fittings/hoses so if you use them be sure they all get out.

Small is a realtive term, of course, but I get your drift. This is a nekkid tank, so no hoses or fittings to get into. Once I put them in, I will use air pressure to knock them around, and a magnet and vacuum for removal.

No fittings....I assumed you were talking about a gas tank, what is it?  And I don't expect much to happen from blowing the BBs around, but it'll be interesting to get your report on it.