CBR1100XX.org Forum

Irish Spring - mouse abatement

XXitanium

So, the kid stuffed his XX out in the back shed at gramma's last fall. His Mom heard of a natural cure for rodent infestation.

She recommended putting Irish Spring around inside the fairings. we made little bags of shavings and stashed them around inside.

He got it out the other day to start it up. He cleaned out what he could find. Apparently he didn't get it all. He says melting Irish Spring - is not all that.

Edited by XXitanium
Better title.

On 4/18/2019 at 8:53 PM, XXitanium said:

So, the kid stuffed his XX out in the back shed at gramma's last fall. His Mom heard of a natural cure for rodent infestation.

Makes sense. There are no snakes in Ireland, so prolly no rodents either. 

Some cats will hunt even when provided food, others get lazy.  Ours enjoys hunting which is somewhat of a bummer, I enjoyed watching the lizards & green beetles in the spring/summer.  There are few lizards left.  She pretty much eradicated the beetles before they got to emerge, she discovered them in the compost pile as larvae and likes them.  Gross looking things, kinda like a huge mealworm but soft.  The first one she dragged in she played with for a while and I figured she'd leave it once it stopped moving.  When it broke she discovered there was meat inside that's apparently tasty.  After that it was on & crackin.  She'd run out, dig one up, bring it in, eat it, run back out.

Five gallon bucket with about two inches of used cooking oil on the bottom. String tied across the top with a used tuna can (not washed after contents emptied) with peanut butter smeared on the outside diameter suspended in the middle free to spin on the string.

Mouse motel open for business

• Upvote 1

I made a catch alive mouse trap a couple of months ago out of a plastic bottle, two rubber bands, coat hanger, string and paper clip.  It took a time or two to get right but it worked.  I just wanted to see if I could do it.Mouse.thumb.jpg.3052c917bb76a854c27b8b3584d16a8d.jpg

9 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

Five gallon bucket with about two inches of used cooking oil on the bottom. String tied across the top with a used tuna can (not washed after contents emptied) with peanut butter smeared on the outside diameter suspended in the middle free to spin on the string.

I made something similar for a rat in the shed.  Bastard took the bait trail just past the edge of the bucket, but didn't go far enough to fall in.  One the upside, the bait was rat poison so the problem was solved, just not the way I'd hoped.

2 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

I made a catch alive mouse trap a couple of months ago out of a plastic bottle, two rubber bands, coat hanger, string and paper clip.  It took a time or two to get right but it worked.  I just wanted to see if I could do it.Mouse.thumb.jpg.3052c917bb76a854c27b8b3584d16a8d.jpg

Do you have a photo that shows how it's built and how it works?

6 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Do you have a photo that shows how it's built and how it works?

No.  Where the bottle starts to get smaller near the top I cut most of the way through so it is hinged.  A string is tied around cap and run to the rear where a paper clip (bail holder) is stuck through.  The coat hanger and rubber bands are springs to close it.  So the mouse pulls on the bait, the string slips off the clip and the lid closes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2019 at 1:17 AM, XXBirdSlapper said:

Sort of like a fruit fly trap.

On 4/18/2019 at 11:33 PM, blackhawkxx said:

I have heard that moth balls work but I have never tried it.

My ex, Stacy, did this for a mouse problem in her Lexus (she lived in farm country.)

Got rid of the mice, but she could never get rid of the moth-ball smell in the SUV. Every time I rode in it I had to refer to her as Ethel.

• Like 1